What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

age.s

First Grade
At his age his defence is what it is unfortunately
His defence in NSW cup is fine, at least statistically.

You might argue that defensively he's not ready for the step up. But the step from playing NSW cup to NRL in a NRL standard team is one order of magnitude less than playing NRL in a NSW cup team. Last night was concerning and he may not end up making the leap but let's not pretend that things won't be easier for him with a real team around him.

Iamback

Coach
His defence in NSW cup is fine, at least statistically.

You might argue that defensively he's not ready for the step up. But the step from playing NSW cup to NRL in a NRL standard team is one order of magnitude less than playing NRL in a NSW cup team. Last night was concerning and he may not end up making the leap but let's not pretend that things won't be easier for him with a real team around him.

We were good for periods in NSW Cup you get those periods for longer, That Robson break is the sort of stuff Api cleans up.

Iamback

Coach
Luke Sommerton looked ok yesterday.

He is decent enough, He was good in Flegg a few years ago certain could see more of him.

Just Cole being 18 has huge upside decent tackle %. The question mark would be does he get too big for hooker.

The Puru's too won't see FG in the normal positions, Could make handy hooker longer term

WestyLife

First Grade
Agree if the players were not good enough to hold down their own positions. But all three I mentioned are current SOS players.

Crichton cops a lot of negative comments on here, but I just don’t get why. Sure, he is not yet up to Manu level yet, but he is six years younger than him.

I just want him to run hard at the defence from time to time. The guy is peak human genetics and tries to weave and step every run. The few times he's gone for it the defenders can't handle him.

Iamback

Coach
I just want him to run hard at the defence from time to time. The guy is peak human genetics and tries to weave and step every run. The few times he's gone for it the defenders can't handle him.

Lots of players don't though
People on here love Moylan, He was the same style of runner

Iamback

Coach
Very different gifts though. If you were starting a new master race as homework then Critta is on the short list to kick off the breeding program, Moyza not so much.

He has scored a few long range tries, So he is fast it is just his style

We were good for periods in NSW Cup you get those periods for longer, That Robson break is the sort of stuff Api cleans up.
I thought the Robson break (if we are talking about the break that lead to the Drinkwater try) was caused by Eiso getting tangled up in the play the ball and not getting to marker.

For me, Like’s issues last night were around the speed of the play the ball when he was one on one tackling. He isn’t as good a defender as Api, but Api demonstrates the same tendencies (going around the legs) as Luke did last night. The difference is Api is surrounded by people with better lateral movement (Yeo and Fish) than Luke was last night (Eiso and Hopgood), and so Api gets a lot of help. To that point, I agree with @age.s that we should judge when we see him playing in the firsts against a good side.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I thought the Robson break (if we are talking about the break that lead to the Drinkwater try) was caused by Eiso getting tangled up in the play the ball and not getting to marker.

For me, Like’s issues last night were around the speed of the play the ball when he was one on one tackling. He isn’t as good a defender as Api, but Api demonstrates the same tendencies (going around the legs) as Luke did last night. The difference is Api is surrounded by people with better lateral movement (Yeo and Fish) than Luke was last night (Eiso and Hopgood), and so Api gets a lot of help. To that point, I agree with @age.s that we should judge when we see him playing in the firsts against a good side.

What a sensible and rational reply ColdWetPanther. Against some of the shrill sack cloth and ashes ranting that appears 3 times a day.

Good idea to wait and judge Luke when surrounded by world class players, that exist within the NRL team in 2023.

If I recall Api was not known for his defence until the last 18months here at Penrith. Hopefully the same will happen with Luke as he matures playing with and around the NRL aquad.

I'm also sure that if Luke doesn't make the grade the coaching staffs will have other options.

forby

Juniors
Thank you Alice.
Just a pity there was no Panthers game today.
Sonni was OK last night, his delivery was good. Having the first grade pack around him will make a big difference. His NSW Cup stat's would indicate this as well.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Thank you Alice.
Just a pity there was no Panthers game today.
Sonni was OK last night, his delivery was good. Having the first grade pack around him will make a big difference. His NSW Cup stat's would indicate this as well.

Your most welcome forby. Hope you have a great day.

You're right regarding Luke of course it will make a huge difference.

The same will happen for Api in 2023. How will Api look in a team of basic plodders. Will his star shine so brightly. I think not.

It's not called a team sport for nothing.

Latest posts