What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Pomoz

Bench
I respectfully disagree Pomoz.

The club did everything they could to retain Spencer.
Fish and Leota are the top props here. There is no way you are going to cut their minutes or push one of them to the bench. They are both in the prime of their careers right now.

The Panthers of the past would have pushed one out, to retain the promising new talent coming through. The previous regime was good at that. Paying on promise.

"Sorry Moses but we have a younger prop possibly better than you coming through. He may be better than you in the future and will be cheaper. Should last long than you too'.
Moses: 'but i took less last time to stay here. I love this club, this is my home. I still have a year to run'
Clubs response: 'eh its business'
One could only imagine the how the playing group would have reacted if that had happened?

The clubs only option was to put forward a plan to increase Spencer's minutes. Instead of being used as a impact weapon. Which they did.

Ultimately in came down to a starting position and more money. Both options we couldn't cover at the moment. Even with the clubs plan for more minutes we couldn't get nowhere near the Roosters and the Dogs offers.

After what happened with May I am not surprised took up a handsome deal elsewhere. Careers can be short.

We have won 86% of our games since 2020. An unprecedented figure in modern times in the NRL. Rival clubs have and are going to come after our players. They all want a piece of our success.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Blade, you are a gentleman. A slightly different perspective on that tough conversation is this.

The team has watched a succession of players they have spilled blood with and some they have grown up with, leave the club. It is as simple as saying "Moses we have to make a call and we have decided to go with Spencer going forward. We would like to keep all of you, but we can't and we had to make a decision". He may well say
"I love this club, this is my home. I still have a year to run", but Spencer can say exactly the same.

The players understand the context, they live and breathe it every day. They see players they went to school with leave the club for pastures new. They know it is a business that has to make tough decisions every day. It is not bad for the culture of the club if the club makes them as humanely as possible and deal with the players respectfully. The club will always be faced with having to choose either player A or player B, it is the very nature of competing for a spot in a team.

The way I see it, at the end of the day the club didn't value Spencer above Leota, as simple as that. How good a player rates is a subjective matter and you have to respect the fact the club has made its call. I would be disappointed if it was because nobody at the club wanted to have a tough conversation with Moses and I am sure that is not the case.

I'll make a call and say Taylan won't stay at the club unless we some how get Tyrell. To me he doesn't have loyalty to the club. We will rehab him and after that he goes. Just my emotional thoughts

luv my panfas

Juniors
Thanks for taking the time to reply Blade, you are a gentleman. A slightly different perspective on that tough conversation is this.

The team has watched a succession of players they have spilled blood with and some they have grown up with, leave the club. It is as simple as saying "Moses we have to make a call and we have decided to go with Spencer going forward. We would like to keep all of you, but we can't and we had to make a decision". He may well say
"I love this club, this is my home. I still have a year to run", but Spencer can say exactly the same.

The players understand the context, they live and breathe it every day. They see players they went to school with leave the club for pastures new. They know it is a business that has to make tough decisions every day. It is not bad for the culture of the club if the club makes them as humanely as possible and deal with the players respectfully. The club will always be faced with having to choose either player A or player B, it is the very nature of competing for a spot in a team.

The way I see it, at the end of the day the club didn't value Spencer above Leota, as simple as that. How good a player rates is a subjective matter and you have to respect the fact the club has made its call. I would be disappointed if it was because nobody at the club wanted to have a tough conversation with Moses and I am sure that is not the case.
Good luck to Spencer but seriously we could not of paid top dollar for a player that only plays for 20 minutes He is a good while off replacing Hargraves at the Rorters Moses Leota tore Parra a new arsehole on grand final day To suggest he should have been the one to go seems ridiculous to me

martielang

Bench
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Leota is a good prop and yes he has a a few good seasons left in him. Spencer will be better and then some and has many more seasons in him. It's about the future, not just today. Bellamy, Gould and Robinson wanted him. I wonder why? Are they off their head too?

They want him cos he’s available to them and he’s a gun. I haven’t once argued he’s not. I don’t think anyone has. Actually a few on here are but that’s par for the course when a player leaves us 😆

Luke Bowden

First Grade
They want him cos he’s available to them and he’s a gun. I haven’t once argued he’s not. I don’t think anyone has. Actually a few on here are but that’s par for the course when a player leaves us 😆
He’s definitely almost probably going to be a gun. But he’s not yet.

Having said that, I wish we were keeping him on the money we offered.

betcats

Referee
There is no doubt fish and Moses are our top props I got no argument there. But at some point in the next 3-6 years they are very likely going to lose their starting spots, they are close in age and while it’s great for now it’s just the reality of sport and life that after 30 the decline will happen. While I hate losing Spencer the bigger concern is the attitude that there’s no chance we’d pay on potential instead of sticking with the established guys. It worries me cause if we have another gun prop come through in two years are we gonna be telling him sorry kid bide your time, take less money and minutes cause fish and Moses took less last time are they are still better than you? Because that would be nice for fish and Leota but not smart for the club.

Wizardman

First Grade
In some ways, I think Leniu will turn out to be a bigger loss than Critta.

His development path has been very long at the Panthers. Panthers have been oh so patient with him. I get the feeling his best footy is in front of him.

Im unsure of the money he has been offered.....but the man is a loss.

MugaB

Coach

His development path has been very long at the Panthers. Panthers have been oh so patient with him. I get the feeling his best footy is in front of him.

No way rox in your head if you think Leniu as a impact prop is more important than Critta who plays centre (and a good one at that) wing, fullback and possibly 5/8th if need be, for over 80 mins, leniu has 15 minutes in him

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Anyone we lose from that team is a loss.

Comparing Spencer to Critta is silly. They are so very different.

Wizardman

First Grade
Anyone we lose from that team is a loss.

Comparing Spencer to Critta is silly. They are so very different.
They are different.....and Critta has achieved more in the game.

But watching Leniu play though......he has all the tools. He can definitely develop into being a rep standard prop. I think they should have fought a little harder to sign them.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
They are different.....and Critta has achieved more in the game.

But watching Leniu play though......he has all the tools. He can definitely develop into being a rep standard prop. I think they should have fought a little harder to sign them.
You have to look at the bigger picture.

We won the top 4 grades last year, we have teams of players coming through the same system these two came through. These two are worth a lot more money to other teams, we have to keep our eye on the prize.

Api is undoubtedly the biggest loss. The others are replaceable with in our system.

Iamback

Coach
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Leota is a good prop and yes he has a a few good seasons left in him. Spencer will be better and then some and has many more seasons in him. It's about the future, not just today. Bellamy, Gould and Robinson wanted him. I wonder why? Are they off their head too?

None of those sides have the class in the middle we do, Nor have to re-sign some very key players.

Those sides could go harder and did

Iamback

Coach
Extremely disappointing...

Last year the club told us they were confident we'd keep both api and kiks...

Than Staines to save coin to keep critta and co...

Than we lost critta

Now Spencer.

Everyone saying blacker and l.smith are the obvious replacements have no idea. No one coming through atm is close to Spencer's explosive, impact and potential.

I can see us losing soro too soon no doubt.

Surely.... surely we have money???

I get Spencer left for varied reasons but this one hurts and will definitely come back to bite us!

The fans are going to need some sort of decent signing for 2024.

Im not convinced lisati has what it takes. Certainly doesn't have Spencer's talent that's for sure.

Given fish and yeo play big minutes. The fact we have l. Smith who is a big minute work horse player.. leota I think will have to becone the impact guy.

Hopefully the club has money to buy a decent 2nd rower now cause the hosking and garner buys were straight off the bottom of the barrel.

If matty Cameron is any good I want to see the next villiame kikau at Penrith. The promoting from within is great but every now and than you need to go to market and pinch a special junior like we did with kiks from the cows.

We are covered in the backs. Half's we are looking ok. Props we have cover.... 2nd row we are looking weak. And that includes mav.. let's face it other than the final series last year were he stood up he had a pretty avg year. If it wasn't for his last name there'd be no hype. He's got potential but he's certainly not a shoe in for fg.

If we have a bit of free cash.. use it to lock in a few key guys... than buy a couple absolute gun 17-19 year old 2nd rowers. Get them into our system early and hopefully get the next kikau out of them

Yeo $750k
Luai $750k

Both will get an increase, Lets say $800k

$1.6m there

Edwards is on $450k - $650k is probably a fair price for him, Remembering he will stay for unders

Martin the same very likely

Fish $700k

Leota $500k

Add Cleary's $1.2m

To'o $600k

There is $7m gone on 8 players. You aren't factoring in the increases every time we re-sign someone

Iamback

Coach
You have to look at the bigger picture.

We won the top 4 grades last year, we have teams of players coming through the same system these two came through. These two are worth a lot more money to other teams, we have to keep our eye on the prize.

Api is undoubtedly the biggest loss. The others are replaceable with in our system.

Not sure Kiks is either but you need class in other positions. So you can't go all in and make promises to guys like Spencer

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Not sure Kiks is either but you need class in other positions. So you can't go all in and make promises to guys like Spencer

Our system revolves around positions not individual players. Kiks did some amazing stuff on the field, but what he did most importantly was the basics. We need to replace him with a player that does the basics well, anything on top of that is icing.

Api - that’s a different story, Hopefully Soni learnt heaps and is ready to step up.

Iamback

Coach
Our system revolves around positions not individual players. Kiks did some amazing stuff on the field, but what he did most importantly was the basics. We need to replace him with a player that does the basics well, anything on top of that is icing.

Api - that’s a different story, Hopefully Soni learnt heaps and is ready to step up.

What forward can do what Kikau does?

His size with that skill level makes him very hard to defend