What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

GowersDallyM

Juniors
I'd rather Gutho over Edwards any day of the week. I think we let Edwards go if he wants over 450k a year and slot Critter to fullback. If we can swap Api for Liddel or Simpkin it would be great for us long term especially if we ca turn them into guns ( both play in a trash tigers team) we could than go very very hard on a star player like a Latrell Mitchell that can play fullback or centre so Critter can shift back or in.

I think hooker is the 2nd most important position after half back and well we have the best in the game in Cleary locked up so with Api going we're left with a big hole but I think if they can get a rock solid hooker , we should go for a superstar fullback to bolster our spine and I don't think Edwards is that quality of player.

Latrell clicked with Nathan and Luai in origin and he loved their energy.
Plenty of quality fullbacks getting around so surely we can land one for 2023.

Original Name

Juniors
Dylan is a far better player than Clint. I think he has proved that on one foot.
Playing tough and taking a lot of runs to make metres is the exact sorta stuff Gutho does. All of Dylan's strength's Gutho has too. They're very similar players, Gutho's ball playing is just more developed being more experienced. A little differences here and there in Dyl being more agile/evasive and Gutho being bigger, stronger and a bit quicker but they're both busy support up the middle type of fullbacks.
Please provide stats to back this up. This is what I find with stats which is a great way to measure a players performance. Fans tend to remember a few flashy moments like the ones Ponga provides before going missing.
I don't think this makes him better but Penrith players really seem to love him for his work ethic. It seems like stuff like hustling and getting on his bike to steal a few more extra metres for kick returns.
Kick return average metres
Dylan
Edwards

Panthers
2 Hayze Perham Hayze
Perham

Eels
3 Clinton Gutherson Clinton
Gutherson

Eels
4 Valentine Holmes Valentine
Holmes

Cowboys
Caleb Aekins
Caleb
Aekins
Raiders
This may be teams kicking away from To'o to an extent but the Penrith players appreciate him so much within the team I wouldn't be surprised if you averaged out kick return metres per run and he was still first by a distance.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Dyl is all heart but the bloke can't even draw and pass on wide open overlaps. Bombed probably 15-20 tries this year

In the 2020 grand final use had a huge overlap early on. It was a simple try gone begging and he muffed it. Changes the game. Would of went 6-0 up. Imo if scored first you win that grand final. Would of settled the nerves.

betcats

Referee
Keep Dyl, tell our young fullbacks they have to work really hard to take his spot if they want it. When or if that happens I think we could slide dyl out to the centres or wing. He might lack ball playing and creativity at fullback but he’s got enough of it to play centre, his whole attacking game would be simplified allowing to focus on running for the most part which is his strength.

I think Critta will be putting a lot of pressure on him for that spot over the next 12-24 months, he got better there every time he played and just abilities that Dyl does not. It will be interesting.

hindy111

Post Whore
Keep Dyl, tell our young fullbacks they have to work really hard to take his spot if they want it. When or if that happens I think we could slide dyl out to the centres or wing. He might lack ball playing and creativity at fullback but he’s got enough of it to play centre, his whole attacking game would be simplified allowing to focus on running for the most part which is his strength.

I think Critta will be putting a lot of pressure on him for that spot over the next 12-24 months, he got better there every time he played and just abilities that Dyl does not. It will be interesting.

Agree. He was far less consistent but showed flashes of brilliance

The_Frog

First Grade
Also, Folou had Clive Palmer financing any possible legal action. I found the whole thing ironic, Palmer was coerced into paying his employees their wages, however, he is willingly sticking his noses into other issues.
That was in regard to Folou playing for a Queensland third tier club owned by Palmer, while still contracted to Catalans. The mystery is why Folou would want to play park footy anyway. Turns out he didn't, it was some sort of publicity stunt engineered by Palmer.

DinkyDi

Juniors
That was in regard to Folou playing for a Queensland third tier club owned by Palmer, while still contracted to Catalans. The mystery is why Folou would want to play park footy anyway. Turns out he didn't, it was some sort of publicity stunt engineered by Palmer.
Yeah I know that. My point is that Palmer is well known for sticking his nose in where it does not belong.

The_Frog

First Grade
Salmon is as good or better imo. I've never seen May do anything that made me feel he is an NRL player. Tyrone Peachey would be handy if cheap
Salmon might be better one day, but at the current time he is a reserve grade back who has had a handful of games in the past two years. Maybe he can cover the middle of the field and make 25 tackles in close to even time like May could and regularly did but I'm not aware of him ever having done so. Happy to be corrected on this.

You've got Salmon who can do half the job and Kenny who can do the other half, when what we need is both rolled into one.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Can we just swap Api early for Liddell already! Surely they could add Blore aswell? Literally no point having Api around if he doesn't wanna get vaxed and is signed for 2023 , doubt his head will be in it for 2022...Kiks will be even more inconsistent in 2022.
We really should be trying to secure some good signings for 2023 as that will have us set up for 23, 24 and 25 because atm we are down quality players for 22 and 23 with only picking up Salmon! Edwards will go to the dolphins as he hasn't signed on still and would get good money there.

Leaves us very very short in 23 once Api Kiks and Edwards walk with the others that have already.. got good kids coming through but I think we need to make big moves now before we hit 23 with a depleted side without a hooker, fullback and a strike backrower...not looking good for us over the next 1-3 years

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Can we just swap Api early for Liddell already! Surely they could add Blore aswell? Literally no point having Api around if he doesn't wanna get vaxed and is signed for 2023 , doubt his head will be in it for 2022...Kiks will be even more inconsistent in 2022.
We really should be trying to secure some good signings for 2023 as that will have us set up for 23, 24 and 25 because atm we are down quality players for 22 and 23 with only picking up Salmon! Edwards will go to the dolphins as he hasn't signed on still and would get good money there.

Leaves us very very short in 23 once Api Kiks and Edwards walk with the others that have already.. got good kids coming through but I think we need to make big moves now before we hit 23 with a depleted side without a hooker, fullback and a strike backrower...not looking good for us over the next 1-3 years

Has Edwards signed elsewhere ?

Fangs

Coach
Josh Hodgson is apparently off to the Eels for 2023.

I am a big Hodgson fan but I don't think he would be the answer for us. It would be reminiscent of the dynamic between Cleary and Maloney. That served its purpose and we don't need to return to that. His age is a big factor as well, its clear he is slowing down and that really doesn't suit our style of football. We play better up tempo football than any team in the competition.

Apart from looking within I think Sam Verrills is our man. Cmon Mole start the rumour mill.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Couldn't agree more on this point.
Notice how he refused to pay his employees their dues, however, he had no issues in attempting to force the WA government to open their borders? Fortunately, he lost, and he was forced to cover all legal expenses. Palmer lackey is Craig Kelly, enough said.