What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
I thought the Robson break (if we are talking about the break that lead to the Drinkwater try) was caused by Eiso getting tangled up in the play the ball and not getting to marker.

For me, Like’s issues last night were around the speed of the play the ball when he was one on one tackling. He isn’t as good a defender as Api, but Api demonstrates the same tendencies (going around the legs) as Luke did last night. The difference is Api is surrounded by people with better lateral movement (Yeo and Fish) than Luke was last night (Eiso and Hopgood), and so Api gets a lot of help. To that point, I agree with @age.s that we should judge when we see him playing in the firsts against a good side.

There were a couple of them that led to tries, Api makes better 1st contact due years doing it.

I really doubt they have big plans for Peachey if he came back. He’ll play reserve grade most of the year and only fill in if there’s injuries. This is surely a salary cap move.

The way I look at it is we’re not going to re-sign Staines and we have two other backup fullbacks for 2023. If the move frees up some space, I see no reason to keep Staines around. We could be swapping Staines for anyone really, if it helps free up space that we need then that’s what it’s about.

Original Name

Juniors
He isn’t as good a defender as Api, but Api demonstrates the same tendencies (going around the legs) as Luke did last night. The difference is Api is surrounded by people with better lateral movement (Yeo and Fish) than Luke was last night (Eiso and Hopgood), and so Api gets a lot of help.
You can still force decent contact through legs tackling. You just have to time it right with force, hit and drive instead of just looking to get the guy to the ground. Api does that. His muscles and strength help with that it isn't all technique and toughness that separates them in defence tbf to Luke. Api has got muscles almost out of portion with his small body.
If I recall Api was not known for his defence until the last 18months here at Penrith.
Nah he was a gun tackler. Tough as that's why he kept getting injured every year. Nobody really gives a shit about tackling or pays much attention to it unless it's big hits, looking at missed tackle stats or if they're fans deep into things. Ask a bunch of Manly fans and some will have watched him closely enough to tell you what a warrior he was for them.
Correct. Anyone not in the top 17 should be on minimum wage with how top heavy our squad is
If someone's in the upper 5% of Cup players who's also done a reasonable job in first grade for a few games and have been doing that for a few years consistently they're reasonably going to ask for more money than the average unproven guy in his first year of Cup. A guy like Sorenson wouldn't have accepted the contract if you offered him the same as some 18 year old kid who might wilt when things get tough. That's just insulting. For that extra money you buy reliabity, good training habits, little extra things most fans don't notice that journeyman have to have because they don't have amazing talent so have to make up for it in little 1%ers.

Guys who came to us as journeyman like Sorenson, Capewell, Jennings, Eiso and now Hosking and Garner. All of them are around 25, most them having families. They aren't going to take literal minimum wage when every single other club pay their their first choice depth players 150-200. We wouldn't get any of them.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
Sam Williams is definitely the pick of the remaining guys off contract if we want an experienced back up to go with Cole and Puru. Still nothing on Falls.

Whino

Bench
That’s a pitty. I think he would of gone better than SOS as the back up half after getting a preseason to work with Nathan and Jerome.

Are there any other decent back up halves not signed for next season?

A few roughies.

Albert Kelly, Billy Walters, Brandon Wakeham, Cooper Johns, Hayze Perham, and Phoenix Crossland.

I did read Jake Clifford wanted out of the Knights due to lack of game time. I can't see him coming here to play back up, nor could we afford him.

Crashtest

Juniors
A few roughies.

Albert Kelly, Bily Walters, Brandon Wakeham, Cooper Johns, Hayze Perham, and Phoenix Crossland.
I did read Jake Clifford wanted out of the Knights die to lack of game time. I can't see him coming here to play back up, nor could we afford him.
If the Knights wanted to pay some freight to move him on, Clifford would be a good pick up.

Hopefully other struggling halves see the positives that SOS got from signing a 1 year deal to learn from Nathan and be the back up half to the premiership winning Panthers, and want to do the same.

Big Mick

Referee
I can see a lot of young/experienced halves coming here for 1 year to do an apprenticeship under Cleary - play a few games with great teammates during origin - show out at a bit and sign a good deal elsewhere. Worked for SoS.

Odd move going to the Broncs. Reynolds is going to play, so you only have one and five eight available in the spine. Mann seems like the obvious choice at 6, but they also have Cobbo and Walsh battling out for a single spot at full-back; given how good both of them are, can definitely seem Walsh going to the halves at some point.

Maybe he is relying on Reynolds getting injured more regularly that Cleary is out form injury and rep games? But if this year is anything to go by, filling in for Cleary puts you in the shop window as you walk into a much more structured team.

Hooked

Juniors

Not the Panthers: Tigers’ outcast set to confirm new home in shock switch​

He had reportedly been signed by Penrith.​

Young Wests Tigers' half had reportedly been signed, sealed and delivered to the Penrith Panthers for 2023, however, it now appears a move interstate is on the cards.

Despite having Adam Reynolds and Ezra Mam on their roster, reports suggest the Brisbane Broncos are the club who will ultimately land Madden's signature for 2023 and beyond.

The talented youngster, who is leaving the Tigers in search of more opportunities following the club's call to hang onto Luke Brooks for 2023 - and reportedly open discussions about a contract extension for 2024 and beyond - was reportedly in the sights of Penrith to replace Sean O'Sullivan.

It would have given him a chance to learn in the NRL's best system, and from a pair of State of Origin halves in Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai.

Madden was also linked with the Dolphins, Newcastle Knights, Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans at various points this season as he weighed up his future.

News Corp are reporting however that Madden has agreed to link up with Kevin Walters and the Brisbane Broncos, who are looking to replace Tyson Gamble, who last week moved to the Newcastle Knights.

Gamble was part of Brisbane's side immediately following an injury to Albert Kelly earlier in the season, but an injury cost him his place that he wouldn't get back until the final round of the season.

He was officially confirmed as a departure from Leichhardt during the club's final game of the season, but as yet is still waiting to sign an official contract.

Latest posts