What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Girds89

Bench
Wouldnt be suprised if dyls contract is slightly fromt loaded.

1 mil the next 3/4 years and only 500/600k for the last year.. so if hes struggling or the next junior comes along than its less of a stress trying to move him or retire etc..

His a blokes id 1000% be wanting to keep around the club when hes done..

Move him straight into a fitness trainer role or assistant coaching role in the lower grades..

Its an investment in the future as well.. keeping him at the club for the next 15/20 years should be the aim.

Hes the best trainer and fittest bloke in the history of the club. Hes down to earth an d just an honest hard worker.

When hes running laps around the 22 year olds in fg as a 40 year old it sends a message

maple_69

Bench
I have learned to really appreciate and even love Dyl over the last 3 years but as purely a Panthers supporter I am not a fan of the relatively big money we have thrown at Edwards.

I don't think he is worth that. He MIGHT be close to that valuable to US - but he'd struggle to have similar impact at any other club and that is where his value should have been set at.

The fact is, at most clubs he is a mid-tier fullback. Most coaches and clubs don't really care too much about a fullbacks defensive capability. The mindset is - 'if it's gotten to the fullback, it's already too late'.

They don't mind if a fullback lets one try in a game that a better defender could save because a Walsh, Ponga, Firing Turbo, Latrell - can create 2-3 tries a game that others can't - and can crack even the best defenses with the occasional freak play. Dyl for all his effort and improvement will never be that guy.

My point being Dyl is an Excellent PANTHERS BALL fullback - but probably an upper mid-tier general NRL fullback and we should have tried to pay him like the latter rather than the former.
The good defensive fullback argument isn’t just about being a last line of defence though. He’s organising our line to an all time great standard. As we saw last week, that might be worth as much as 3-4 tries a game, never mind actual try savers.

I love Crichton but he influences one edge and if he’s worth $850K on the open market, Edwards at $750-$850 is a great deal. He would contribute a hell of a lot more to a crap club than any of these Ferrari fullbacks.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have learned to really appreciate and even love Dyl over the last 3 years but as purely a Panthers supporter I am not a fan of the relatively big money we have thrown at Edwards.

I don't think he is worth that. He MIGHT be close to that valuable to US - but he'd struggle to have similar impact at any other club and that is where his value should have been set at.

The fact is, at most clubs he is a mid-tier fullback. Most coaches and clubs don't really care too much about a fullbacks defensive capability. The mindset is - 'if it's gotten to the fullback, it's already too late'.

They don't mind if a fullback lets one try in a game that a better defender could save because a Walsh, Ponga, Firing Turbo, Latrell - can create 2-3 tries a game that others can't - and can crack even the best defenses with the occasional freak play. Dyl for all his effort and improvement will never be that guy.

My point being Dyl is an Excellent PANTHERS BALL fullback - but probably an upper mid-tier general NRL fullback and we should have tried to pay him like the latter rather than the former.
I disagree. You are underestimating the value of the work that Dylan does in the defensive aspect of the game. He is the best in the game, bar none, in terms of what he delivers with workload, being in the correct position, tackling backing up he really is a freak. No other fullback can do what Dylan does in the less flashy aspects of the game. Even with his new improved contract he is probably being paid less than four or five of the other fullbacks. Certainly once the Broncos fullback gets his upgrade.

Kilkenny

Coach
There was an article yesterday suggesting we have or are going to offer Jerome $800K. Not sure of the length of the deal. Suggested that is the best we can get do. Frankly, in my opinion, that is the maximum we should be going to. We all for the most part love Jerome, fine player, great clubman but he is the support half if you like, good foil for Nathan but if he wants to look elsewhere and can get over and above our maximum then we need to go in a different direction. We shouldn’t be paying Jerome more that $800k that it is absolute maximum and I don’t say that with any disrespect.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
There was an article yesterday suggesting we have or are going to offer Jerome $800K. Not sure of the length of the deal. Suggested that is the best we can get do. Frankly, in my opinion, that is the maximum we should be going to. We all for the most part love Jerome, fine player, great clubman but he is the support half if you like, good foil for Nathan but if he wants to look elsewhere and can get over and above our maximum then we need to go in a different direction. We shouldn’t be paying Jerome more that $800k that it is absolute maximum and I don’t say that with any disrespect.
I still think Laurie coming in next year is an absolutely steal especially if Luai does go then Lauire can jump straight into 6.

MugaB

Coach
Agreed, we have the luxury of having multiple star halves, which other teams often do not, we are already paying Nate over a million, cant be spending that much on another half

MugaB

Coach
I’m not suggesting I want to see Jerome leave, just rather we have to set a limit. If he feels he is worth more than we can afford or are prepared to pay then he is entitled to pursue other opportunities just as many have done over this past three seasons.
We can afford to keep him, 800k is still a very good price to stay in a winning club, toby sexton would love to get a deal like that to play for the panthers

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I’m not suggesting I want to see Jerome leave, just rather we have to set a limit. If he feels he is worth more than we can afford or are prepared to pay then he is entitled to pursue other opportunities just as many have done over this past three seasons.
He's just a foil for Nathan. A very bloody good one but that's how our side is built

maple_69

Bench
Luai doesn't do a stack of creating though, he plays as a fullback in attack really, and is one of the best at executing 4 on 4s etc which Yeo/Nath have set up inside him. Guess it also depends how the club views Cole. He'd be a different type of player but if we went that way, there'd certainly be some cash to drop on upgrading elsewhere, or retaining Tito/May/L. Smith.

Latest posts