What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Crashtest

Juniors
Wonder where Papa plays next year? I'd assume backrow but he played his best this year at 13 so maybe could play prop for fish..

He returns from injury tomorrow night against the Warriors, and the Tigers have named him at lock again, so will be interesting to see how he goes.

But from his comments in his Dally Telegraph interview this week, it seemed like the Panthers spoke to him about playing back row:

It took a week and single meeting in May, while Papali’i was sidelined with an ankle injury, for Cleary to snap up the Kiwi international.

“I had a meeting with the coach (Cleary). He’s seen me over the years, and seen the footy I like to play,” Papali’i said.

“They are well stacked in terms of middles and when Fish (Fisher-Harris) made his decision, it opened up the door for them to fill a spot they needed and they thought a backrower was what they could go looking for. I was lucky to sit down with him.”

Last edited:

Crashtest

Juniors
I wouldn’t hate TPJ for a year to plug a gap. Ivan has got the best out of him in the past, he shouldn’t be too expensive and we might be a good option for him to springboard to a good final deal elsewhere when Patea is nicely seasoned.

Agree TPJ would be a good signing, and he would give us more X factor and offloading than our current props. But he stated when he left the Bulldogs that he hated living in Sydney, so can’t see him signing with any Sydney club.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Prop - Moses/Henry/ Smith/Patea/(Martin/Sorro)
2nd Row - (Martin/Sorro)/Garner/Papali'i

Don't think we can afford another prop who would be starting, (can't promise that with Henry/Smith completing their apprenticeships) so difficult to get anyone of quality to sit on the bench.

Big Mick

Referee
Would suggest it'll end up:
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Henry
11. Martin
12. Papali'i
13. Yeo

14. Cole
15. Smith
16. Sorro
17. Garner

Sorro to be hybrid Prop/backrow. Patea to compete with Garner for spot later in season and be first selected in case of prop injury.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Henry
11. Martin
12. Papali'i
13. Yeo

14. Cole
15. Smith
16. Sorro
17. Garner

Sorro to be hybrid Prop/backrow. Patea to compete with Garner for spot later in season and be first selected in case of prop injury.
Sorro seems to be struggling a bit out wide. That part of his career might be coming to an end

Luke Bowden

First Grade
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Henry
11. Martin
12. Papali'i
13. Yeo

14. Cole
15. Smith
16. Sorro
17. Garner

That’s solid.

Munky

Coach
Sorro seems to be struggling a bit out wide. That part of his career might be coming to an end

His footwork near the line is ineffective against the more mobile edge defenders.

His best work for us was using his footwork and acceleration against tiring middles. Most 'athletic' second rowers avoid contact with the ball against anyone over 90kgs so he was a point of difference in 2021/22.

His effort is always 100% and his edge is incredibly solid in defence.

Munky

Coach
IMO Garner is the most valuable bench player in the league since he can play both second row and centre at a NRL standard length.

Not a world beater at either but isn't a target in defence if moved to centre and can run the lines in attack.

chrisD

Coach
I know nothing of Ryda, but I would not sign Blaize. Far from a sure thing, we would be paying too much money for potential, the ratio isn't in the buyer's favour, it's for struggling clubs playing catch up to take these gambles. Don't need outside backs.

If we could have had TPJ I'd assume we would have had TPJ, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'll take any half proven NRL half, we are certainly capable of carrying him to a premiership but I don't think Cole is ready and the position we could most improve on through the market.

Latest posts