What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

First Grade
Great, ok don't believe this one bit guys, but Eels have been linked to Cooper Cronk again.....
Don't worry though, it's bogus.
Or at least I'm betting it is.

MacDougall

First Grade
Willie Mataka and one or both of Al and Jason Schirnack to the Sharks

Darren Nicholls to the Titans

Jared Farlow & Matt Ryan possibly to the Storm

It'd be kinda bittersweet seeing a WT lower grader exodus. Mostly because I'm used to our lower graders moving to other clubs and becoming solid first graders that are better than some of our first graders. The likes of these names you mentioned are exactly the type that will likely do that.

boxhead

First Grade
Thurston possibly to Parra is in the DT

also Orford to the Raiders

Yeah the rumour about Thurston is that not only do the management want to start fresh-as they haven't achieved anything with him since 2005 when he is the face of the club and everything they put their hopes on-but that the only team they would let him go to are the Eels because they are the only ones that can afford him....

Very strange times. I doubt JT will go anywhere though, however the rumour is that all he has to do is approve the deal the Cowboys and Eels have set up already.....

I hope you guys get Orford by the way, it's terrible news about Campese :( Hope he gets better, and hope Orford plays well for you guys :)

wavell_cowboy

Juniors
So do people in here actually think that the cowboys will just let the best halfback in the world go to another NRL club? You guys must be drinking before you connect to the internet.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If he tells them he doesn't want to be there anymore why would the Cowboys want to keep him...other than spite. Having your most important player in a situation he doesn't want to be in is just asking for more years as wooden spoon contenders.

boxhead

First Grade
wavell_cowboy

The issue with Thurston is that even though he is still the best player in the world, with him as captain and with the roster they have even without him, they have dramatically under-performed for several years.

If the Cowboys believe they need a fresh start as does Thurston, then it may happen. It doesn't matter how good a player he is, if the team can't perform well with him in it then maybe they feel he needs to go.

It's purely speculation at this stage anyway.

If he tells them he doesn't want to be there anymore why would the Cowboys want to keep him...other than spite. Having your most important player in a situation he doesn't want to be in is just asking for more years as wooden spoon contenders.

wooden-spoon.png

Because they are looking at many of these without JT. Hell even with him they've only just narrowly avoided it the last 2/3 years and would have got it this year except the Storm saved them.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Tough decision for the Cowboys. The interesting thing is whether or not it has a domino effect. The Cowboys made some decent signings in the off season, but how many of them were partly swayed by the chance to play with Thurston and what will the effect be if he left?

Personally I think the Cowboys need to look at short term pain in return for long term gain. They had a great year this season in the NYC, and should be near the top again next season. With the likes of Tate/Johnson now on the books they've got a couple of guys who have the right attitude and know what's required to succeed. Releasing Thurston could give the Cowboys enough money to purchase another couple of experienced players to help bring through the talented juniors.

It might knock them out of 2011, but it could prove beneficial come 2012/2013.

I guess the question is, does the current team have a chance of winning the premiership with Thurston? I don't think they do.

boxhead

First Grade
Tough decision for the Cowboys. The interesting thing is whether or not it has a domino effect. The Cowboys made some decent signings in the off season, but how many of them were partly swayed by the chance to play with Thurston and what will the effect be if he left?

Personally I think the Cowboys need to look at short term pain in return for long term gain. They had a great year this season in the NYC, and should be near the top again next season. With the likes of Tate/Johnson now on the books they've got a couple of guys who have the right attitude and know what's required to succeed. Releasing Thurston could give the Cowboys enough money to purchase another couple of experienced players to help bring through the talented juniors.

It might knock them out of 2011, but it could prove beneficial come 2012/2013.

I guess the question is, does the current team have a chance of winning the premiership with Thurston? I don't think they do.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I'm a part time Cowboys fan, and it does seem like both the Cowboys and Thurston need to start fresh; whether he goes to another club or to another sport is unimportant to me (although I want him to stay in Rugby League as he is one of my favourite players), but what does matter is that they seem unable to succeed with him. I think they both do need to start fresh, and it seems like this rumour about the Eels and Thurston has quite a bit of truth to it.

From what I've heard, the percentage chance of it happening is around the 80-90% mark.
But then again, who knows who you can trust these days? I still doubt it will happen, actually.

Big Pete

Referee
For the immediate future though, I'd say it's best they hold onto Thurston. It's too late in the piece to release him.

wavell_cowboy

Juniors
So does everybody in here know what goes on up there in north qld? Seems as though people are making assumptions that it is whats needed for the cowboys to do well. What the cowboys needed to do was to get rid of the deadwood which happened this season with 15 players leaving the club. Moving J Thurston on has not once been brought up in any media or even in a press conference above the NSW border. He has even stated many times in relation to stupid rumours that if he wasnt playing for the cowboys he would be playing in a different country. The only people that bring these things up are hack reporters who scour these forum and others for "scoops". Once the cowboys start winning, which they will, early next season, all of this will be forgotten and things will turn to other underperforming clubs. And unless one of these "rumours" made up by bored parramatta fans come true eg cronk, thurston, tonga, orford... then they will be one of the underperforming clubs.

boxhead

First Grade
So does everybody in here know what goes on up there in north qld? Seems as though people are making assumptions that it is whats needed for the cowboys to do well. What the cowboys needed to do was to get rid of the deadwood which happened this season with 15 players leaving the club. Moving J Thurston on has not once been brought up in any media or even in a press conference above the NSW border. He has even stated many times in relation to stupid rumours that if he wasnt playing for the cowboys he would be playing in a different country. The only people that bring these things up are hack reporters who scour these forum and others for "scoops". Once the cowboys start winning, which they will, early next season, all of this will be forgotten and things will turn to other underperforming clubs. And unless one of these "rumours" made up by bored parramatta fans come true eg cronk, thurston, tonga, orford... then they will be one of the underperforming clubs.

Someone's bitter about a rumour?

boxhead

First Grade
In an e-mail to Parramatta Eels members today, Paul Osbourne confirmed that there will be a few signings to be announced very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.