What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parra Pride

Referee
I don't understand how we have no cap considering we offered something ridiculous like $300,000 to that nuffy Hinchcliffe.

If anyone signs Folau for less than $400,000 something seriously f**ked up is going on.

BranVan3000

Coach
Parra and the NRL screwed this one up. The fact that he was advertised as a Parra signing from day one meant EVERYBODY was automatically looking at how they can fit him in the salary cap. This should have essentially been an ARL signing, they should have provided a 100k sponsorship package and then said, he is allowed to talk to any of the clubs on a 250k - 300k deal. While this is still murky territory, it's better than Parra saying "increase our salary cap just because."

BunniesMan

Immortal
yep, and I can't see how souths can afford him if parra can't. If you take notional values into account souths certainly should not have much room under the cap if any for folau.
Just because we have more talent in our squad doesn't mean we're spending more money than them.

We haven't got Hopoate on the books for 800k. We haven't got someone as mediocre as Sandow for 550k.

Inglis is on less than Hopoate. Reynolds is on about a third of what Sandow is on.

We lost DT who was on big money and we lost Pettybourne who was on big money (don't laugh, we signed him on his last contract as a recent NZ rep). Those two were replaced by just Teo. That's a lot of money saved.

All those factors above plus the increasing cap and it's not too hard to believe we have 400k, even if we have to send some fringe player to Super League.

Someone

Bench
Just because we have more talent in our squad doesn't mean we're spending more money than them.

We haven't got Hopoate on the books for 800k. We haven't got someone as mediocre as Sandow for 550k.

Inglis is on less than Hopoate. Reynolds is on about a third of what Sandow is on.

We lost DT who was on big money and we lost Pettybourne who was on big money (don't laugh, we signed him on his last contract as a recent NZ rep). Those two were replaced by just Teo. That's a lot of money saved.

All those factors above plus the increasing cap and it's not too hard to believe we have 400k, even if we have to send some fringe player to Super League.

Jeff Lima?

let me guess, you got him for minimum wage because your team 'manages' the cap better..

f**k me.

MrT

Juniors

Hopoate arrives in 2014, not 2013

Parra have lost
Hindy $400-500k
Poore $350k
Burt $150k
Shack $170k
Esi Tonga
Justin Horo
Casey McGuire

and Parra only bought Lussick and Harrison

and you want to tell me Souths have more room than Parra?????

Your DT money plus some went to Teo and Reynolds will get a large upgrade based on his current contract.

Souths have more chance of Russell Crowe turning out for a game than Folau

BranVan3000

Coach

DT wasn't on big money. He moved up to big money, he would have cost an arm and a leg to keep but we signed him while he was still relatively new. I'd say his wage is roughly the same as what we got Teo for. Same goes for Pettybourne for Lima. Maybe a bit less, because we had paid overs for Pettybourne.

That said, we also lost Geddes who would have had a decent wage. We got rid of Talanoa who I know was getting much more than his worth. And Crocker took a big pay cut to go on one more year.

We have a bit of overhead in the cap, but not 400k worth. And we have some money stowed away for summer contracts that can be used elsewhere. The fact is we have been on the market for a center for awhile, but there hasn't really been one available.

BranVan3000

Coach
Hopoate arrives in 2014, not 2013

Parra have lost
Hindy $400-500k
Poore $350k
Burt $150k
Shack $170k
Esi Tonga
Justin Horo
Casey McGuire

and Parra only bought Lussick and Harrison

and you want to tell me Souths have more room than Parra?????

Your DT money plus some went to Teo and Reynolds will get a large upgrade based on his current contract.

Souths have more chance of Russell Crowe turning out for a game than Folau
I'd say we have about the same. A small overhead that is not enough for a 400k player. Either team will be forced to move a player to fit Folau

Difference would probably be that nobody would be interested in taking the Eels players

BranVan3000

Coach
539072-israel-folau.jpg

He looks happier at Souths. Israel to Rabbitohs confirmed

RWB

Bench
Souths also re-signed Reynolds & Evringham who would've been due for big upgrades & Sam Burgess who was apparently only on 250k you'd think he too would have received a massive upgrade.

Not to mention Inglis will require another ~500k of the cap next year which has to come from somewhere.

I'd be surprised if the Rabbitohs are seriously considering this move. Another prop is what they need anyway imo.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Souths also re-signed Reynolds & Evringham who would've been due for big upgrades & Sam Burgess who was apparently only on 250k you'd think he too would have received a massive upgrade.

Not to mention Inglis will require another ~500k of the cap next year which has to come from somewhere.

I'd be surprised if the Rabbitohs are seriously considering this move. Another prop is what they need anyway imo.
Asotasi, Luke/Tom/George Burgess, Lima. That's 5 with 1st grade/SL experience. Plus the up and comers. We have props.

The one issue with our roster is centre. Enter Folau.

BranVan3000

Coach

Well Everingham was on match payments I believe, so there is that but he would still be on a low wage. Reynolds too for that matter wouldn't command much.

Sam's new contract won't come into effect for another year, and not sure what you mean by another 500k from the cap for Inglis? You mean in addition to his current wage?

RWB

Bench
Asotasi, Luke/Tom/George Burgess, Lima. That's 5 with 1st grade/SL experience. Plus the up and comers. We have props.

Question marks over every single prop you named there.

Asotasi - Struggled with injuries and never been the same player unfortunately
Luke B - Ok prop, needs to up his workrate
Tom B & George B - unproven in the NRL
Lima - Not many players 30 or older make successful comebacks for the ESL, although I hope he does because I've always rated him.

It's really not that strong...

BranVan3000

Coach
Question marks over every single prop you named there.

Asotasi - Struggled with injuries and never been the same player unfortunately
Luke B - Ok prop, needs to up his workrate
Tom B & George B - unproven in the NRL
Lima - Not many players 30 or older make successful comebacks for the ESL, although I hope he does because I've always rated him.

It's really not that strong...

George Burgess will be the big story in 2013. Though I don't expect to see Tom for awhile

Worse comes to worse, we move Sam back there wh can be one of the most damaging props in the game

We made it to third spot last year primarily punching up the middle with props like Dave Tyrell, Luke Burgess and Jason Clark. I think we will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.