What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2015/2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Lol @ Tupou developed at Eels.

Lol @ Evans developed by Balmain.

Lol @ Cordner developed by Newcastle.

You make it sound like they were finished articles by the age of 17. As for Toops, the Eels didn't want him as they didn't rate him. Yeah nice development work there.

Kiwi

First Grade
Bullshit ol' mate, difference between U20's and NRL is the same as between Delta and Jessie J, if Brisbane were allowed to store 'potential' players we might as well weld the cup to a Red Hill toilet, ALL juniors belong to ALL clubs until their career is guaranteed

I am certainly not disagreeing with you when it comes to juniors. As I said in the confirmed signings, I don't think the Roosters over paid for Jayden, he is NRL ready now, I have no doubt he will be top 17 for the Roosters round 1 barring injury and spectacular fall in form. Also as much as I wanted them to stay, both Jayden and Ash Taylor had to move on to get the NRL starts they are both ready for and I am totally against any team stock piling talent, including my team. There is and will always be juniors moving around all the time as they look for pathways into the NRL that might be blocked by several established players at their current club. This happened with Jayden and Ash. However when a young player has spent their entire junior development at one club ( Ash and Jayden as examples ), and they rightfully leave because they are NRL ready at 18-20 and their pathway is blocked due to established players ahead of them, I'm sorry but development credit goes to the club they were at. Under those circumstances I have no issue with a club, in this case the Roosters, reaping the rewards of that development, but don't try and tell me development credit will go to the club they get a first grade crack with.

Edwahu

Bench
Signing gun 17 & 18 year olds might be developing first graders to some but its not really the kind of development the game needs. Development should be about growing the pool, not cherry picking.

POPEYE

Coach
I am certainly not disagreeing with you when it comes to juniors. As I said in the confirmed signings, I don't think the Roosters over paid for Jayden, he is NRL ready now, I have no doubt he will be top 17 for the Roosters round 1 barring injury and spectacular fall in form. Also as much as I wanted them to stay, both Jayden and Ash Taylor had to move on to get the NRL starts they are both ready for and I am totally against any team stock piling talent, including my team. There is and will always be juniors moving around all the time as they look for pathways into the NRL that might be blocked by several established players at their current club. This happened with Jayden and Ash. However when a young player has spent their entire junior development at one club ( Ash and Jayden as examples ), and they rightfully leave because they are NRL ready at 18-20 and their pathway is blocked due to established players ahead of them, I'm sorry but development credit goes to the club they were at. Under those circumstances I have no issue with a club, in this case the Roosters, reaping the rewards of that development, but don't try and tell me development credit will go to the club they get a first grade crack with.

My apology for being insensitive, not like me at all, depends on your meaning of 'development'. Being such a grey area I like my version of drawing the line using Cronk as an example. Without an expert coach, a club that took a chance and perseverance the chances are he would never have become the second best #7 in the game today

Works both ways, Pearce was heralded a champion before being hung out to dry by a club that let incompetent tutoring hamstring him now has the same bloke trying to regain lost time. There are thousands of potential NRL players that miss the chance long before the U20's let alone NRL. Your version of 'development' encapsulates what all clubs are obliged to do by the NRL, my version is not compulsory

Kiwi

First Grade
My apology for being insensitive, not like me at all, depends on your meaning of 'development'. Being such a grey area I like my version of drawing the line using Cronk as an example. Without an expert coach, a club that took a chance and perseverance the chances are he would never have become the second best #7 in the game today

Works both ways, Pearce was heralded a champion before being hung out to dry by a club that let incompetent tutoring hamstring him now has the same bloke trying to regain lost time. There are thousands of potential NRL players that miss the chance long before the U20's let alone NRL. Your version of 'development' encapsulates what all clubs are obliged to do by the NRL, my version is not compulsory

All good, always interested in intelligent debate of topics, especially juniors, it's such a broad area where no one opinion if fully correct. To much these days degenerates in arguments and insults, which I am ashamed to admit I don't exactly shy away from.

betcats

Referee
Signing gun 17 & 18 year olds might be developing first graders to some but its not really the kind of development the game needs. Development should be about growing the pool, not cherry picking.

Exactly. It is relying on other clubs to do most of the hard work and then cherrypicking the best you can find and putting some polish on them. Then you get merkin fans like Tommy and that other moron claiming they developed guys like JWH and Jayden Nikorama.

Last edited:

Edwahu

Bench
The original poster was fishing anyway. I mean he mentioned a bloke who will probably play for England before he pulls on a Roosters jumper.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Exactly. It is relying on other clubs to do most of the hard work and then cherrypicking the best you can find and putting some polish on them. Then you get merkin fans like Tommy and that other moron claiming they developed guys like JWH and Jayden Nikorama.
Lol settle down. I understand it's been a tough day for your club so I'll let that slide.

At no point did I suggest we developed Nikorima. The only person that did was clearly fishing; and it looks like he caught himself a giant flathead. :D

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slater re-signs at Melbourne until 2020.

Yes. 2020.

Press conference at 10am.
is there some sort of back room position included in that? Can't imagine his knees and shoulders will keep him in the game til he's 37/38 years old, no matter how good he is

Kiwi

First Grade

Yes. 2020.

Wonder if they'll help Munster pack his bags if this is correct. Can't see him sticking around for 5 years playing only second fiddle to Slater.

Nice Beaver

First Grade

Yes. 2020.

Happy to admit I'm wrong if so, but there is NO way Slater will sign until 2020 :lol:

Sure there isn't a sponsorship announcement being made also that might have the date 2020 involved?

ek999

First Grade
That's exactly what it is. Slater signs for 2 more years and Crown Resorts as sponsor for 5 years to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts