What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2015/2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Pretty sure the discretionary fund thing was a Dave Smith initiative. Now that he's gone, I don't think it will remain as it was far too divisive.

We've shed Isaac Luke plus Glenn Stewart and there are plenty of rumours around that we will let Tim Grant out of his contract to go to Parra as well.

Surely there is enough money there to allow us at least a start and between back ending and tpp's that his management can arrange I'm sure Sam should be able to fit back in.

Agreed.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Walker, Johnston, keary, Reynolds, gray, gresmvual, burgess x2 have all signed upgraded deals. A lot of those guys would be on marquee money now

Walker, AJ and Gray (isn't in our best 17) aren't on that much. But yes they have been upgraded and Grevsmuhl has had a bit of an upgrade too (clause activated in his contract for 2016).

Keary and Reynolds are on 500k for 2016. McQueen gets 280-300k for 2016.

GI on about 800-850k I reckon.

Goodwin and Auva'a aren't on that much. Sutton is pretty much free due to how long he's been with Souths.

The following guys aren't on that much either, Oldfield, C. Walker, Cook, Mcinnes, Tyrrell, Clark, Turner, Carter, Brown, Musgrove.
Souths could look to get rid of Grant to make room for Sam too as DKOR said.

Souths depth isn't the best next season and we have the least amount of contracted players for 2016 with 25 signed currently.

Stewart will free up $600k, Issac will free up about 500k. Losing Te'o freed up money too.

Vic if Sam wants to come back we will have enough to fit him in. They'll have it planned out.

I'm not getting my hopes up though at this stage!!! It's all just speculation.

Last edited:

Kiwi

First Grade
Walker, AJ and Gray (isn't in our best 17) aren't on that much. But yes they have been upgraded and Grevsmuhl has had a bit of an upgrade too (clause activated in his contract for 2016).

Keary and Reynolds are on 500k for 2016. McQueen gets 280-300k for 2016.

GI on about 800-850k I reckon.

Goodwin and Auva'a aren't on that much. Sutton is pretty much free due to how long he's been with Souths.

The following guys aren't on that much either, Oldfield, C. Walker, Cook, Mcinnes, Tyrrell, Clark, Turner, Carter, Brown, Musgrove.
Souths could look to get rid of Grant to make room for Sam too as DKOR said.

Souths depth isn't the best next season and we have the least amount of contracted players for 2016 with 25 signed currently.

Stewart will free up $600k, Issac will free up about 500k. Losing Te'o freed up money too.

Vic if Sam wants to come back we will have enough to fit him in. They'll have it planned out.

I'm not getting my hopes up though at this stage!!! It's all just speculation.

Grasping at straws there buddy. Especially with AJ, Walker, Reynolds, etc and has Auvaá signed a new deal yet? Plus the Burgess twins wouldn't have been cheap. At the end of the day I don't think Souffs have cap issues, but don't make out players that have played rep footy ( not that I believe most of them deserved it, but that's another debate ) are on a pittance. The only one you got right was Ingliss who is on a reported 850k.

Cracks me up that you're saying Stewart is on 600k ( because he is leaving ) and yet guys like AJ, Reynolds, Walker and the Burgess twin are on much less all because they are staying. It's the Roosters defense being applied here of.... These players stayed so were got them cheap and this one left who was on big money.

If they have so much free cap space like you are saying why do they need the NRL's help with cap exemptions to get Burgess? Either they are just trying it on or maybe they didn't sign all their players on the cheap like you are suggesting.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Walker and Johnston win a grand final, play for Australia and get a tiny upgrade from the NYC contracts they were on? Please.

For starters players get an automatic bonus kick in when they represent Australia (usually around $100k) which goes straight onto the salary cap.

Souths haven't just left $800k or whatever burgess would want off their cap for next year in the hope he might come back. 1) they aren't allowed too, clubs have to spent like 95% of the cap every year 2) it would be beyond stupid to leave so much cap space open to hope for a player

Vic Mackey

Referee
Walker and AJ not on much... but Glenn Stewart is on $600k. :lol:

I do laugh when fans supposedly know how much players are on. It's all guessing and even the media have no idea most of the time. Plus contracts aren't as straight forward as everyone thinks. If a guy signs for 3 years at $1.2mil it's not $400k every year. Usually it will be sliding like $350k, $400k, $450k. Or if you're the Tigers $100k, $150k, $950k

BranVan3000

Coach
Walker and Johnston win a grand final, play for Australia and get a tiny upgrade from the NYC contracts they were on? Please.

For starters players get an automatic bonus kick in when they represent Australia (usually around $100k) which goes straight onto the salary cap.

Souths haven't just left $800k or whatever burgess would want off their cap for next year in the hope he might come back. 1) they aren't allowed too, clubs have to spent like 95% of the cap every year 2) it would be beyond stupid to leave so much cap space open to hope for a player
Walker is on his long term contract signed in 2013. And AJ may have upgraded but he is still a second year player so lets not assume marquee dollars were being thrown around baselessly. Unless you can prove it?

Even with your assumptions the fact is these contracts were signed while Stewart was part of the squad - so whatever he was on still has to be accounted for in season 2016. Same goes for Issac Luke where no direct replacement was signed.

In terms of upgrades - increases in the cap allow for that to be more easily managed

BranVan3000

Coach

Proof this was in their contracts?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Grasping at straws there buddy. Especially with AJ, Walker, Reynolds, etc and has Auvaá signed a new deal yet? Plus the Burgess twins wouldn't have been cheap. At the end of the day I don't think Souffs have cap issues, but don't make out players that have played rep footy ( not that I believe most of them deserved it, but that's another debate ) are on a pittance. The only one you got right was Ingliss who is on a reported 850k.

Cracks me up that you're saying Stewart is on 600k ( because he is leaving ) and yet guys like AJ, Reynolds, Walker and the Burgess twin are on much less all because they are staying. It's the Roosters defense being applied here of.... These players stayed so were got them cheap and this one left who was on big money.

If they have so much free cap space like you are saying why do they need the NRL's help with cap exemptions to get Burgess? Either they are just trying it on or maybe they didn't sign all their players on the cheap like you are suggesting.

What a garbage post.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...198018246?sv=b31b161a3baf1f572f3d76dd7d59eb2e

Here is the truth article regarding Adam.

You are uneducated!!!!!!!!!

I could find all the articles but I won't continue to feed guys with zero clue about the Bunnies.

Vic mate, please get your neutral cap on and not your bias/hatred for Souths.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Everything in this whole thread is assumption based. If you seriously think AJ isn't on decent money you're kidding yourself. The guy scored what 21 tries in 20 games and played for Australia. The fact he wasn't resigned until Luke left (along with Mcinness) logically means souths needed to free up space. Plenty of clubs would have been after him and promising him a shot at the 1.

No direct replacement for Luke? I could have sworn Damien Cook was a hooker, must have been mistaken.

Stewart was a 31 year old back rower who had hardly played in 2 years and wasn't offered a contract by his previous club. All of a sudden souths fans are saying he was on roughly the same money Sam Burgess would be asking?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Proof this was in their contracts?

It's in every contract, standard clause, even players who have t played first grade. It's got clubs in trouble previously when guys come from nowhere and end up playing in end of season tests. I'm guessing with the money but that's what it's been reported as.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
What a garbage post.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...198018246?sv=b31b161a3baf1f572f3d76dd7d59eb2e

Here is the truth article regarding Adam.

You are uneducated!!!!!!!!!

I could find all the articles but I won't continue to feed guys with zero clue about the Bunnies.

Vic mate, please get your neutral cap on and not your bias/hatred for Souths.

Lol you're the one in another thread saying the roosters must be cheating the cap if they sign Hayne, even though they've just lost Maloney and RTS and bought no one. Yet souths can sign Burgess after pre season starts and there's no issue and IM the biased one?!?

Dave_

Juniors
Souths can't afford Burgess which is obvious. Realistically, maybe only one or two clubs could come up with what he'd be asking but of course that wouldn't fit with certain agendas.

BranVan3000

Coach
Everything in this whole thread is assumption based. If you seriously think AJ isn't on decent money you're kidding yourself. The guy scored what 21 tries in 20 games and played for Australia. The fact he wasn't resigned until Luke left (along with Mcinness) logically means souths needed to free up space. Plenty of clubs would have been after him and promising him a shot at the 1.

No direct replacement for Luke? I could have sworn Damien Cook was a hooker, must have been mistaken.

Stewart was a 31 year old back rower who had hardly played in 2 years and wasn't offered a contract by his previous club. All of a sudden souths fans are saying he was on roughly the same money Sam Burgess would be asking?
AJ may be on decent money but he is also a winger and salaries are all relative to the value they present to the team. Damien Cook has played a handful of games. It's the equivelant of talking about how much we saved with Daryl Millard leaving.

We signed Glenn Stewart as Sam Burgess's direct replacement. Why is it hard to assume he came over on a comparable wage?

I think Sam's value has gone up since he decided to leave, that extra amount would be the main issue.

It's in every contract, standard clause, even players who have t played first grade. It's got clubs in trouble previously when guys come from nowhere and end up playing in end of season tests. I'm guessing with the money but that's what it's been reported as.

Not saying you are wrong but I have never heard of such a thing - you sure you aren't confusing this with representative payments? Which exist outside of the cap. You're saying every player who makes a rep team also has 100k bonus added on to the cap? By that assumption Roosters would have something like 1.5 million extra in cap bonuses alone

And with the representative argument - Souths have one of the lowest counts of rep players in its ranks

Vic Mackey

Referee
Not saying you are wrong but I have never heard of such a thing - you sure you aren't confusing this with representative payments? Which exist outside of the cap. You're saying every player who makes a rep team also has 100k bonus added on to the cap? By that assumption Roosters would have something like 1.5 million extra in cap bonuses alone

And with the representative argument - Souths have one of the lowest counts of rep players in its ranks

I probably didn't explain it properly. It's used when a player first plays rep footy. It's for guys like AJ and David Williams who are on minimum contracts and than become rep players whilst on that contracts. They obviously can't automatically renegotiate A standing contract so get a bonus as they are now recognized as a higher standard as when they initially signed.

It's not in established rep players contracts as they are already being paid accordingly to their skill level.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
Rumoured signings.

There really needs to be a cave thread for salary cap accusations and IQof20's 12 years old ramblings. Talk about hijacking a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.