What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How do you know how long I spend online? By my post count?

I do it quickly. I don't even read most people's posts; I just come in, post, and get out. Doesn't take me long at all.

This is the entirety of my online 'social networking'. I don't have Facebook and even my Twitter only has 18 tweets.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
How do you know how long I spend online? By my post count?

I do it quickly. I don't even read most people's posts; I just come in, post, and get out. Doesn't take me long at all.

This is the entirety of my online 'social networking'. I don't have Facebook and even my Twitter only has 18 tweets.

And apparently 3/4 of those tweets were to Peats, whom subsequently blocked you

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm surprised that Peats can even read.

I'm not sure about Pou's post count but I do remember recently getting up my friend Larry for smoking too much whilst I was drawing down on a Winnie Blue.

Forty20

First Grade
Eels have tried 20 different halves combinations since making NRL grand final in 2009
David Riccio
The Sunday Telegraph
November 24, 2013 2:30PM

THE search for stability in the Parramatta halves began 20 years ago.

Champion halfback Peter Sterling retired in 1992, quickly followed by scheming five-eighth Brett Kenny one year later.

Ever since, the blue and gold conveyor belt of sixes and sevens have rolled in - and just as quickly, out of the popular club.

Since making the grand final in 2009, the Eels have tried 20 different halves combinations.

A total of just 17 wins over the past three seasons and back-to-back wooden spoons tells the story.

But just five weeks into his role as head coach of the Eels, Brad Arthur has taken the unprecedented step of calling off the search party.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that Arthur is set to start the 2014 season with Luke Kelly and Corey Norman as Parramatta's starting halves.

It's a significant sign of confidence from Arthur whose focus is on working for the next three months to build a formidable halves combination and restoring belief within the entire playing roster.

It also indicates Arthur has the forthright to make a tough call for the sake of stability at the club.

Kelly will wear the no7 next season after playing 18 games last year for the Eels under former coach Ricky Stuart.

Norman, a powerful and skilful runner of the football who signed from the Brisbane Broncos, will slot into the five-eighth jumper after playing all of his 17 matches this year at fullback.

The 22-year-old has previously stated that the prospect of playing in the halves was one of the motivating factors in his decision to move to Parramatta.

The obvious question is what all this means for highly-paid halfback Chris Sandow, whose personal issues stymied his 2013 season?

It's a response that only Sandow can answer during the next three months of pre-season training. A contributing factor in Arthur's decision is likely to be Sandow's less conventional playing style - off-the-cuff and at-time erratic - which is in direct contrast to the vocal, point and kick style that Kelly offers the Eels.

Sandow managed just 15 games last season under Stuart, who like Arthur, turned to Kelly to steer the Eels around the park.

There have been reports Sandow, who is contracted to the club until 2015, has returned to the Eels overweight.

However, Eels officials have been pleased with the popular halfback's attitude, appearing focused on finding the form that saw him named 2008 Dally M rookie of the year.

Under Arthur next season, Kelly will be asked to provide the structure and direction, in order to allow the Eels greatest strike weapons, fullback Jarryd Hayne and centre William Hopoate, to play what they see.

Hayne plays his best football on the left side and it's also at left centre that Hopoate will make his NRL return after two years out of the game.

Arthur's high-opinion of Kelly stems from their relationship which originated at the Melbourne Storm in 2009.

The 24-year-old, who was born in Katherine, was named man of the match in Melbourne's Toyota Cup grand final win in 2009, which Arthur coached.

While Kelly ultimately left the Storm for the Eels to play regular NRL football, it was in Melbourne that he was able to refine his game as the understudy to Test halfback Cooper Cronk.

Kelly and Norman's first match together is likely to be the Eels opening trial match against the Wests Tigers on February 8 in Alice Springs.

Clicky

Not sure why it is down on the DT/CM sites but it is up on news.com.au .

Edit - Derp. Just checked the time-stamp, it only went up at 1430...I wonder if they edited anything out from the early morning release?

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
With Hopoate, Hayne and Norman all playing on the left, who's going to play on the right? Maybe Kelly's going to organise Ryan Morgan.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The links were there on the DT and CM websites at ~8AM this morning but when I clicked on them they were dead.

Either way the article is up now.

it was down on news.com.au as well as perthnow.com, heraldsun.com.au, and every other News Ltd site

Chipmunk

Coach
With Hopoate, Hayne and Norman all playing on the left, who's going to play on the right? Maybe Kelly's going to organise Ryan Morgan.

Im not sure if we can take it as fact what was written in the article about Hopoate playing left centre, but if he is you can assume Loko's days at centre are over. Another question is what is the plan for Willie Tonga? He can play on the right, but I think I would play him on the left with Hopoate on the right.

Given that we are 'weak' in the edge forwards, we have to pretty much fit 3 centres into two spots and Loko probably wont start the year, I wonder if we are going to look at Willie Tonga at left second row to replace Maitua??

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
it was down on news.com.au as well as perthnow.com, heraldsun.com.au, and every other News Ltd site

We need to get to the bottom of this!

5767.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts