What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not if you're in Canberra. It is nothing for 19-20 year olds with one year of work experience straight out of school to be on $60-65k a year. A fair proportion of 25 year olds are on close to or above $100k as well.

That's because those merkins have to work; not throw a footy around and train in the gym for five hours a day.

$50k is plenty for a person with no financial commitments; especially if there's a chance of earning several million dollars over the next 10-15 years.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not if you're in Canberra. It is nothing for 19-20 year olds with one year of work experience straight out of school to be on $60-65k a year. A fair proportion of 25 year olds are on close to or above $100k as well.

If they are in the public service then yes they would be - but in saying that a lot a graduates who have spent a few years at uni. If they weren't graduates they would be struggling to get anything higher then an Aps 4 job which out any experience. If they were an apprentice they wouldn't be on any where near earning $50 k. But yeah I know wages in Canberra are crazy - I know from experience.

But in general getting paid $50k plus match payments is more then enough for a younger player to be able to focus on their footy. Most sports people pursue their choosen sport at an elite level fulltime on a lot less.

Chipmunk

Coach
If they are in the public service then yes they would be - but in saying that a lot a graduates who have spent a few years at uni. If they weren't graduates they would be struggling to get anything higher then an Aps 4 job which out any experience. If they were an apprentice they wouldn't be on any where near earning $50 k. But yeah I know wages in Canberra are crazy - I know from experience.

But in general getting paid $50k plus match payments is more then enough for a younger player to be able to focus on their footy. Most sports people pursue their choosen sport at an elite level fulltime on a lot less.

Mate, APS3's 4's are getting $65K these days...

Chipmunk

Coach
That's because those merkins have to work; not throw a footy around and train in the gym for five hours a day.

$50k is plenty for a person with no financial commitments; especially if there's a chance of earning several million dollars over the next 10-15 years.

Well they have to 'go to work'. Actually 'having to work'...well that's still debateable.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course nobody employed by the government actually does much work - there is always far more people than is required to do what needs to be done. But it is labour intensive, having to jump through all the hoops to constantly reaffirm what a progressive workplace the government bureaucracy is.

There just isn't time left over for much work.

Chipmunk

Coach
Of course nobody employed by the government actually does much work - there is always far more people than is required to do what needs to be done. But it is labour intensive, having to jump through all the hoops to constantly reaffirm what a progressive workplace the government bureaucracy is.

Yep...Ive been there done that far too many times than I like to admit.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

I tend to disagree - maybe some areas/regions ( cough Canberra ) don't have much work but there are plenty that do work extremely hard and have quite a bit of responsibility compared to their wage.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
From my experience it depends where you are based ( in Canberra or anywhere else)

I tend to disagree - maybe some areas/regions ( cough Canberra ) don't have much work but there are plenty that do work extremely hard and have quite a bit of responsibility compared to their wage.

I'll admit from my experience people in general seem to do a bit of work in the public service outside of Canberra, mostly in the other capitals.

I can give you the tip now that at the moment there are 1000s of people in Canberra who have rocked up to work every day since the Election, but are yet to do an hours work in total in all that time.

Very few unqualified entry level jobs in the 'real world' will pay you $50-60K as a starting pay

True, but I think the bigger problem is the inability to get rid of lazy f**kwits, and in fact the way those f**kwits find themselves getting promoted by virtue of hanging around (I think the public servants and the CPSU call it 'seniority'). On the flip side, I know several highly skilled and professionally qualified people in the service who've done nothing but work their arse off for the past few years, and when the crunch comes, these are the people that the service will lose not the lazy arse self-entitled f**kwits who think that being able to copy a column from Excel into Word is a 'skill'.

greena

Juniors
Pou, do you actually have a job. You spend so much time online you would have to be self employed, surely you are not doing all of these posts on an employers time - ,that sounds too much like a Govt. employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.