What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

First Grade
Just more news ltd bullshit suggesting Hopoate is going up and leave because Ricky has gone, considering he didn't even know Ricky would be coach when he signed.

Bigfella

Coach
The get out clauses were a potential disaster... However if at the end of it all the only employee we lose as a result is STICKY DICKY they will go down as the greatest administrative triumph the club ever pulled off. By sheer dumb luck of course, but hey.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i can't understand why they ever put a Kearney get out clause in Hopoate's contract

Kearney was only contracted until the end of this year so basically would have had to of got an extension for him to be here when Hopoate arrived

Bigfella

Coach
There's been that much speculation how can you really have any confidence about what was In what?

Clearly Stuart had one. Clearly it was always on the cards that Canberra might arse turner and her get the gig.

Hopefully the Papalli decision wasn't a factor in all that

Fibroman

First Grade
Hello ladies and genitals, my mail is that you guys are looking at signing this Robbie Matthews character. He's one of the most skillful ball playing hookers in the St Ives area. Something to look forward to after the tragic loss of that coach that looks like a pair of flared horse nostrils with a man attached.

TheRam

Coach
Parramatta Eels Chairman Steve Sharp says keep your hands off Hopoate
PETER BADEL
THE COURIER-MAIL
SEPTEMBER 20, 2013 12:00AM

BRONCOS import Corey Norman has pledged to honour his Parramatta deal as Eels chairman Steve Sharp issued a hands-off edict to the Bulldogs over Will Hopoate.

Norman and Hopoate are Parramatta's major purchases for next season, but the future of both has come under scrutiny after coach Ricky Stuart's walkout on the Eels last week.

Currently serving as a Mormon missionary in Brisbane, Hopoate signed a deal with the Eels in 2011 that contained a get-out clause if then coach Steve Kearney was no longer at Parramatta.

With Kearney now at the Broncos, Hopoate is effectively a free agent.

That has opened the door for the Bulldogs, who view the former NSW Origin star as a viable fullback replacement for Broncos recruit Ben Barba.

The Courier-Mail understands the Bulldogs plan to announce a high-profile recruit in the next fortnight, but Sharp hit out at suggestions Hopoate could be at Belmore in 2014.

"Our people have been in contact with Will Hopoate via his manager and we are told he is 100 per cent solid," Sharp said.

"He is coming to Parramatta, no question about it.

"I get disappointed when I see this all the time.

"One minute I hear that Jarryd Hayne (Eels fullback) is going to the Bulldogs and now Will Hopoate is supposedly on their hit list.

"Maybe I should say we are going to chase one of the Bulldogs stars in Josh Reynolds and offer him $1.2 million ... it's just ludicrous.

"There is talk about Jarryd Hayne leaving Parramatta, Jarryd has a solid contract for the next two years and I've been in contact with Jarryd. He is blue-and-gold.

"Will Hopoate has been under contract with us for two years. We've been monitoring his health and his well-being during his time in Brisbane.

"He's looking forward to coming back and repaying Parramatta's hospitality." Norman's manager Paul Sutton said the Broncos backline utility is committed to joining the Eels despite the departure of Stuart, who secured him to a three-year deal in March.

Sharp, the former Eels premiership forward, said he expected Norman to report for pre-season next month and warned the days of reneging on deals at Parramatta are over.

"I want Corey Norman at our club because he is a great player," Sharp said. "He has the chance to show the world how good a five-eighth he can be. Will Hopoate is the same, I believe he will hit the ground running next year and rival Jarryd Hayne as the star of our team.

"These blokes have been signed to play for Parramatta and I expect them to turn up and play.

"I think Corey and Will are both guys of strong character and they want to come to our club because they are determined to show people they can play.

"But I will say this if they don't want to be here because a coach is not here, then I will use the money to buy a player that does want to be here.

"I know contracts don't seem to be worth two bob these days but they will be on my watch.

"It's my job to develop a culture at Parramatta and the club is bigger than any individual."

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...ands-off-hopoate/story-fni3fbgz-1226722921564

This is yet another example of why as well meaning as he is Steve Sharp is just amateurish and seems to always end up stuffing up when trying to defend our club. Totally weak statement thrown in at the end when he was doing so well. Professionals don't make such mistakes.

spiderdan

Bench
i can't understand why they ever put a Kearney get out clause in Hopoate's contract

Kearney was only contracted until the end of this year so basically would have had to of got an extension for him to be here when Hopoate arrived
had kearney even been officially hired as coach when hopoate was signed?

i may be a little off, from memory we announced hopoate a few days after manly won the title, and the sacking of daniel anderson in the week leading up to the grand final. so i am just wondering given the timing of those things, how hopoate could possibly have a kearney clause in his contract, given these things take more than five minutes to negotiate, despite what ricky stuart and his manager would have people believe.

muznik

Juniors
Yeah, I reckon Sharp's doing a pretty good job given the circumstances he inherited.

I have no political alignment with either side. I'd like to never hear the names Fitzgerald or Spagnolo mentioned in regards to this club ever again.

I just want everyone to work together and right this sinking club.

So far Sharpie's talkin the talk!

Delboy

First Grade
Just to take a different point of view re Steve sharp, we have had the "experienced and knowledgeable" CEOs before. maybe we need a straight shooter who speaks from the heart, sure it appears awkward at times but he wants the place to succeed and he is at least telling everyone that

Ken Edwards seemed to be all about growth as in large govt departments, not in the football sense, I have a feeling we will come out the other side of this OK, no idea why, but as Avenger says - just a gut feeling

Y2Eel

First Grade
Hello ladies and genitals, my mail is that you guys are looking at signing this Robbie Matthews character. He's one of the most skillful ball playing hookers in the St Ives area. Something to look forward to after the tragic loss of that coach that looks like a pair of flared horse nostrils with a man attached.

C'mon details man

spiderdan

Bench
cheers.

was also looking at it from the point of view that the negotiations with hopoate would have been done and dusted before kearney was even involved in recruitment given his signing was announced the day after the grand final. just seems more odd to me that he would've had that clause in his contract, like you said, if kearney's deal was going to expire before hopoate returned to the nrl.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Just to take a different point of view re Steve sharp, we have had the "experienced and knowledgeable" CEOs before. maybe we need a straight shooter who speaks from the heart, sure it appears awkward at times but he wants the place to succeed and he is at least telling everyone that

Ken Edwards seemed to be all about growth as in large govt departments, not in the football sense, I have a feeling we will come out the other side of this OK, no idea why, but as Avenger says - just a gut feeling

I'm 99% sure you're not confusing Steve Sharp's position at the club and making it analogous to that which Ken Edwards held?

Edwards was CEO under the board (and chairman) - and Sharp was reigning chairman at the time of his disposal.

carson

Juniors
cheers.

was also looking at it from the point of view that the negotiations with hopoate would have been done and dusted before kearney was even involved in recruitment given his signing was announced the day after the grand final. just seems more odd to me that he would've had that clause in his contract, like you said, if kearney's deal was going to expire before hopoate returned to the nrl.

Add to that the fact Kearney had only just managed to miss the spoon in his first year in NRL coaching...and as far as I know there is no connection or history between Hopoate and Kearney...you really have to wonder why the clause was in there.

Could it just have been something his manager put in there in order to break the contract later on and nobody questioned it because they needed a big name signing???

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
cheers.

Kearney had been at the club for nearly 12 months when we signed Hopoate.

Status
Not open for further replies.