What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazza

First Grade
Yep. We are going to have $2M of our cap playing for Wenty.

That's the unfortunate position we find ourselves in, a lot of players SK recruited, developed and signed to full time first grade contracts aren't up to it.

Surely some of the players listed aren't contracted beyond 2014?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep - as much as we bag out Kearney , this was his plan. Our nsw cup side next year will be filled with 21-22 year olds with potential rather then 25 year olds with no real chance of having nrl careers. We can now spend our money on top 20 players rather then depth players.

Spot on mate. You can't buy cheap depth; you have to produce it yourself.

Then you have money to spend on the top 17.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
That's the unfortunate position we find ourselves in, a lot of players SK recruited, developed and signed to full time first grade contracts aren't up to it.

Yes hopefully they will be cingular off contract and we can get our cap back in order.
Our first grade side is no chance with so much cap taken up by Wenty players.
It's going to take a few years to sort out the mess and mismanagement of our squad and cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Not up to what? Every one of them is suitable for their intended role in the team.

The problem is that two years of injuries to Hayne, Tonga, Smith and Loko have forced a bunch of backups to play more games than we intended.

Morgan and Allgood re-signed this year until 2015. Pritchard signed last year until 2015.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes hopefully they will be cingular off contract and we can get our cap back in order.
Our first grade side is no chance with so much cap taken up by Wenty players.
It's going to take a few years to sort out the mess and mismanagement of our squad and cap.

Agreed. We have a solid squad next year with plenty of young depth that we developed through the 'academy'.

Even though it will be only four years into the five year plan we will give the top eight a real shake, as long as we don't get another coach who shatters their morale, confidence and unity by telling them they're shit.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
That's fantastic mate. Already a real chance of making the top 8 and we are only in our 4th year.
That's fantastic. I only expected this in our 5th year of the plan.

Pazza

First Grade

we are really going to have to rely on young guys stepping up and senior guys like Hayne, Tonga, Smith etc getting over injury concerns for us to be successful over the next couple of seasons.

Pazza

First Grade
Spot on mate. You can't buy cheap depth; you have to produce it yourself.

Then you have money to spend on the top 17.

the depth aint cheap.

sio, morgan, kelly, junior paulo, ryan, harrison etc they are on good coin.

thats the problem

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
the depth aint cheap.

sio, morgan, kelly, junior paulo, ryan, harrison etc they are on good coin.

thats the problem

The problem is (some of) those guys are fringies - halfway between a backup and a first grader. The reason we signed those guys is due to lack of salary cap space for buying genuine first graders, and that space only comes through developing cheap backups.

The fringe players get phased out as they come off contract and new squad members appear out of the academy.

And Sio and Morgan are both first graders. Junior Paulo is a cheap backup with Origin potential. Although I assume you meant Joseph Paulo, who is also a fringe first grader.

Pazza

First Grade
yeah sorry i meant joseph lol

i rate jnr paulo at the same level as kelepi, the saviours (long with lussik) of our forward pack in the post hindmarsh/cayless era.

i think sio and morgan for example are fringe first graders in the context of the NRL and this franchises past. But in our present they are full time first graders and there lies our problem. we are getting poor return on investment, not the players fault just poor squad/cap management.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's fantastic mate. Already a real chance of making the top 8 and we are only in our 4th year.
That's fantastic. I only expected this in our 5th year of the plan.

We would have made the eight this year but board and coaching disruption hurt our recruiting, and injury and gambling problems hurt us on the field.

Anyway, the fifth year of the plan is to challenge for a premiership. We're certainly still capable of that in 2015.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I would have thought there would have been a few more interim milestones between "f**king shithouse" and "premiership contenders".

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
yeah sorry i meant joseph lol

i rate jnr paulo at the same level as kelepi, the saviours (long with lussik) of our forward pack in the post hindmarsh/cayless era.

I rate Junior Paulo and Kelepi Tanginoa too. And the great thing about them is that they are on backup contracts, but already fringe first graders.

Tanginoa is off contract in 2015 and Paulo in 2016, but when they become genuine first graders (almost certainly sometime during their current contracts) they will want upgrades. And because we hold their contracts we are able to give them a reasonable upgrade rather than letting market forces blow those upgrades out. Obviously the upgrade will go with an extension, just like how Manly upgraded DCE.

#'academy'

i think sio and morgan for example are fringe first graders in the context of the NRL and this franchises past. But in our present they are full time first graders and there lies our problem. we are getting poor return on investment, not the players fault just poor squad/cap management.

Sio and Morgan would both play first grade for plenty of NRL sides, including current top four team South Sydney.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would have thought there would have been a few more interim milestones between "f**king shithouse" and "premiership contenders".

We were f**king shithouse in 2011 and overachieved. Since then we have had two years of being 'a poorly coached top eight side'.

Injuries and off field shit have ruined 2012-2013 for us. The quality of our roster is shown to not be the problem when Eels reserve graders Sandow, Harrison and Horo handle first grade just fine at other clubs (either before coming to us or after leaving).

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We were f**king shithouse in 2011 and overachieved. Since then we have had two years of being 'a poorly coached top eight side'.

Injuries and off field shit have ruined 2012-2013 for us. The quality of our roster is shown to not be the problem when Eels reserve graders Sandow, Harrison and Horo handle first grade just fine at other clubs (either before coming to us or after leaving).

So the five year plan is:

Shit, but overachieving
Shit
Shit
Not shit
Premiership Contenders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts