What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Coco

Juniors
I am sure all and sundry will know when Ben Smith retires, parra would want to give him a send off I would've thought.

I asked earlier but dont think anyone knows definitively, cant Ben Smith be simply paid out of the final year without it contributing to the cap? Does it need to be underhanded or can it be he wont make the NRL and is happy to take the money and forfeit his top 25 spot all with the acceptance of schubert?

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
I am sure all and sundry will know when Ben Smith retires, parra would want to give him a send off I would've thought.

I asked earlier but dont think anyone knows definitively, cant Ben Smith be simply paid out of the final year without it contributing to the cap? Does it need to be underhanded or can it be he wont make the NRL and is happy to take the money and forfeit his top 25 spot all with the acceptance of schubert?

You can't just pay players out without it going into the cap otherwise you'd have players signing 6 year @100k per year contracts and retiring after 2 years . They'd get the same amount of money yet only being in the cap for 100k per year .

I'm still baffled as to why Scott Prince gave up a years pay to assist with The Broncos signing Barba :sarcasm: . Only a fortnight before he was on record saying he really wanted to retain his spot next year and was looking forward to the challenge .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I understood it as retiring players don't have their negotiated payout count under the cap. But as you say, this is easy to rort. What's stopping them from coming out of retirement as soon as they receive another offer (even from the same club)?

Regarding Ben Smith, he was listed (on the official site) among the players farewelled at the awards night, however it looks like that list has been removed from the article in question.

TheRam

Coach
We can talk about INU all we want, there's no way in hell it's happening, unless some of our players excercise their dreaded get out clause..

Am I missing something here? Obviously this is in regards to 2014, due to if it was for 2013 we would be given a fine regardless already.

So therefore if indeed it is for 2014, weren't we after Prior and didn't Hock pull out of his agreement. So why and how could we be anywhere near the cap? But if indeed we are, as ridiculously as that would be considering some of the personnel we have had, we would need to convince Ben Smith to retire and then pay him outside of the cap. Surely we can manage something that simple to fix this problem and then not chase anyone else for f**k sake for 2014.

As for Inu, I would take him in a heart beat, even though he is slow, boy he is a top player when focused. But if we are so cap constrained it would have to be for match payments if possible or the Dogs can pay a big whack of his contract, which I can't see happening knowing the Dogs. But you never know if Des really doesn't want him there.

Stagger maybe you can shed some light on my question here from earlier in regards to us being over the cap? Cheers.

EelsFan05

Bench
I agree that it seems odd . Hock would have had to have been on 200-300k, and apparently we were in the running for Prior and possibly C. King. Where has this money gone? Were we counting on Smiths money and with us missing out on Prior we are hoping that he can give us one more season. Does the club know something about Hoppa?

Pazza

First Grade
I agree that it seems odd . Hock would have had to have been on 200-300k, and apparently we were in the running for Prior and possibly C. King. Where has this money gone? Were we counting on Smiths money and with us missing out on Prior we are hoping that he can give us one more season. Does the club know something about Hoppa?

dont forget we signed hock before everyone bar Norman and Mossop. Maybe his money went to Peats?

But there is no doubt a few players on this roster are on a lot more money than they should be.

One more time for posterity's sake. The club knew about the Hock situation some time ago....before we signed Peats. We have also been trying to offload 3 players (Ryan, Harrison, B Smith). It has nothing necessarily to do with Hoppa.

lingard

Coach
Plus in my book hoppa MUST start on the wing and inu is miles ahead of other wing options if hoppa is considered as a centre

Inu is also miles ahead of our other centre options (except for Hoppoate). And he's a top-notch goal-kicker. I say sign him up.

BennyBoy

Juniors
LOL, how do you break the cap when running dead last, only Parra could manage to do that, a reverse Bellamy.

And if our cap is that bad where was the money coming from that Stuart was throwing around for Izzy, Hock and Papali?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
LOL, how do you break the cap when running dead last, only Parra could manage to do that, a reverse Bellamy.

And if our cap is that bad where was the money coming from that Stuart was throwing around for Izzy, Hock and Papali?

A reverse Bellamy also involves standing silently while 13 people swear maniacally and spray spittle at you.

Someone

Bench
Why wouldn't he play on though? He can play on and earn a good salary, or he can retire and earn less. And we can't do anything about it, other than maybe offer him the same $$ as a coach.

it just shows that he is selfish and not a team player. for the better of the team, f**king retire for good sakes.

spoon 2014!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts