What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono078

Referee
I hope that's not the case.

I'm a fan of Glenn and he would bring some much needed class and leadership, but he's not what we need.

Roberts would be great in many other teams but he isn't for us.
I reckon that for Mullen to really perform he needs an experienced half next to him.
Early in the year there were comments made by Stone that Roberts and Gidley were starting to take the pressure off Mullen and that helped him to perform better. That was isolated.
I'd love Roberts to prove e wrong.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I think Glenn would be an excellent replacement for Scott on that right edge. He probably doesn't have the toughness he has, but he brings a higher work rate and is a great hole runner.

Nuffy

Bench
Barry Toohey confirmed we're not even looking for a new half to sign. Stone thinks Roberts is the man for the job.

In slightly less depressing news, someone in The Mighty Newcastle Knights facebook page (so must know what he's talking about, lol) mentioned that Buzz Rothfield wrote we're after Alex Glenn for next season. I can't find where Buzz wrote this, but the guy on facebook seems to think we're after Glenn.

We'd only get him if Bennett doesnt want him or we pay massive overs.

perverse

Referee
We'd only get him if Bennett doesnt want him or we pay massive overs.

It's feasible the salary cap is squeezing them (I know it sounds silly). They'll be paying all of Boyds contract next year I think? Glenn would be looking for a fair upgrade, it's possible they can't fit him.

The only way it would make sense for us is if we plan to move 1 or 2 of our backrowers up front. Tariq could possibly do it. Rochow too. Glenn is a guy I would definitely love to have. Gun player, good attitude. A winner.

Toohey reckons on Twitter we have 500 k to spend. That is more than enough to at least bring a Foran to the table and then negotiate. Instead Toohey says we are after two or three players. This club is certifiably insane. We could have probably signed Maloney for that if we had a set of balls and a brain. 500 k for Glenn would not be a bad investment. I would move Rochow up front. tariq, Glenn and Smith is a bad arse backrow. As for Tariq moving up front I actually think his game suits it long term. his strength is his straight running style. I would not say he is fringe attacker. He seems to stick closer to the middle.if you question his size for that position Tariq and Ashton are almost exactly the same height and weight. Both 6 foot 4 and 110 kgs and 112 kgs respectively

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
So foran was going to get 1.2m a year from the eels, the revised deal is 900k, but he's going to come to Newcastle for 500k?

Spot On

Coach
500K aint gunna buy much. Foran certainly wouldn' t waste his time looking into a deal with that figure being mentioned.

macavity

Referee
We just need some of that sweet sweet third party money. Makes recruitment so easy for other clubs. Maybe run a telethon, I am sure Big Dog and Miss Kim would be up for it.

We just need some of that sweet sweet third party money. Makes recruitment so easy for other clubs. Maybe run a telethon, I am sure Big Dog and Miss Kim would be up for it.

We would just have to disguise the telethon as being in no way affiliated with the Knights.

I have no doubt however that the NRL turns a blind eye to third party deals with the big sydney teams and their affiliations with the club.

Not too sure how players can sign contracts with third party incentives at the same time if the third party deals are exactly that, third parties. If a club is dangling third party deals as sweeteners then it's not third party.

slotmachine

First Grade
It is under the marquee player allowance.

any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player's intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.

You're right in saying this line is a joke though.

These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Totally unenforceable. If the NRL doesn't think the Roosters, Dogs etc are directing potential signings manager's to friendly businesses who aren't club sponsors, they're dreaming.

No sense bitching about it though. We just have to be smarter than the other guy. Ha, yeah right.

slotmachine

First Grade
they front loaded to hell in 2012 because they sucked. they paid james maloneys 2013 salary in 2012 i think.

anyway, barry toohey has said that we are thinking of doing the same thing with BJs left over money for this year.

but what faith would you have in hages, the man who swapped BK for reynoldson.
we will know the money is gone when a giant bean stalk sprouts in the middle of hunter stadium

It is under the marquee player allowance.

You're right in saying this line is a joke though.

Totally unenforceable. If the NRL doesn't think the Roosters, Dogs etc are directing potential signings manager's to friendly businesses who aren't club sponsors, they're dreaming.

No sense bitching about it though. We just have to be smarter than the other guy. Ha, yeah right.

Do you know if the NRL has ever breached a club for third party deals?

I don't think I have ever seen it. Which says to me, either all clubs follow the rules in regards to third party deals (even though almost every club doesn't follow the rules of the salary cap as most clubs have been fined at some stage) or the NRL don't bother looking into it.

And you can't tell me each and every club has been squeaky clean forever in regards to third party deals.
So the NRL must not look into it.

Nuffy

Bench
He probably figures that is the best way to get a giant prop.

Goes something like this.

Hages sits there and slaps forehead.

Turns to Stone and says, oh no, your wanted a giant prop, I thought you asked for a giant crop so I got these magic beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.