What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel-22

Juniors
funnily enough Ty's manager is a really good mate of mine.

It's been confirmed on the bulldogs fb page that trent has signed a 3 year deal commencing next year with us

My apologies guys the facebook page was "Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs News" page and it only said 2UE has announced it.

Soz

aqua_duck

Coach
Probably, but where are all these quality halves.

We aren't signing Cronk, Thurston, DCE or Johnson.

Maloney was my pick and I am mystified we didn't go all in for him, especially given he is from our area (or at least what we should consider our area). He is a bloke just under that top level, along with A Reynolds, Austin, Foran (who I think is also overrated) and Pearce.

Hokko is the level below with the likes of Morgan, Hunt, Mullo, Soward, J Reynolds. This level would have been mediocre 10 years ago, but can command more $$ than they are ultimately worth now because there simply aren't many good halves running around these days.

Unfortunately we missed the one we SHOULD have went for, for some insane reason (Hagan no doubt) so we are scrambling for whatever we can land.
I personally don't think Hodkinson is in the same class as Hunt and Morgan, don't get me wrong, he's a solid half who will suit being partnered with Mullen, my only concern is surrounding those 2 with enough forward talent to allow the combination to flourish. If we can land him and then 2 more half decent forwards then I think the club will have done extremely well, but to put all the eggs in the Hodkinson basket, I have my doubts

perverse

Referee
Hodkinson is only good news if we're not giving him the bank. If he's coming for a reasonable price, then it could obviously work out really well. What concerns me is that he's a plodder wanting big coin... his price/performance ratio is right up there with the Akus of the world if we give him what he reportedly wants.

He is a half that can tackle, can kick and knows who to pass it to. Maybe the game has moved on to the point where that is worth marquee coin?

Last edited:
Fair play to Mids. He is the go getter in the club management. He has wanted a class halfback for four years. He tried to sign Myler three years ago but Wayne wanted Tyrone. Our interest in Glenn is unconfirmed but not denied either. Club is good at this sign out of nowhere business. Must be the Tinkler keep your mouth shut model.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
If we can land Glenn and Hodkinson I think that's a great result. Still would love another prop, doesn't have to be a big name just someone with abit of size.

perverse

Referee
If we can land Glenn and Hodkinson I think that's a great result. Still would love another prop, doesn't have to be a big name just someone with abit of size.

Yeah, that would be a good result. Turning $500k of cap space into those 2 would be a substantial magic trick. Someones numbers have to be off somewhere along the line in all of this, but I'm sure we could move someone to the front row to accommodate Glenn. Not the perfect solution, but he's a quality player and worth accommodating.

Swarzey

Bench
Fair play to Mids. He is the go getter in the club management. He has wanted a class halfback for four years. He tried to sign Myler three years ago but Wayne wanted Tyrone. Our team interest in Glenn is real. We are close to getting him is my mail. ball in Wayne's court.

If he wanted Myler three years ago, then what the f**k has changed for him not to have him signed up already? Info has been out since April and his manager has probably been talking to clubs for a bit earlier; now he has his chance and there's nothing? If he wanted Myler then, surely he would have been in contact with him and his manager and he should have asked a long time ago when Wayne left.

If the Hodkinson interest doesn't amount to anything, then I hope to god he's in a good position to land his signature otherwise some questions should be asked. I swear all of this is just building up to landing Sandow.

perverse

Referee
Was just thinking that landing Foran would actually be the very worst thing we could do. Even more overpriced than Hodkinson, and not an organising halfback. Good thing he's out of our price bracket in all scenarios.

Swarzey

Bench
That's pretty much the thing people don't realise. Yeah, it would be nice to have a player like Foran or Maloney at the club but neither of them are able to fill the role we need and we already have a fine five-eight; the club looks to finally realise that two of them out there doesn't work. Neither would really have an impact at the club. We'd still look like headless chickens throwing away whatever chances get handed to us.

PhilGould

Bench
Yeah, that would be a good result. Turning $500k of cap space into those 2 would be a substantial magic trick. Someones numbers have to be off somewhere along the line in all of this, but I'm sure we could move someone to the front row to accommodate Glenn. Not the perfect solution, but he's a quality player and worth accommodating.
To my knowledge we have more than $500k free currently and it's looking like we'll get rid of Tyrone who's on $400k, so we have a bit of money to throw around at the moment. Hopefully we get Hodko & Glenn. Some realistic front-rowers we could get are Albert Vete from the Warriors or Mose Masoe from St Helens

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I personally don't think Hodkinson is in the same class as Hunt and Morgan, don't get me wrong, he's a solid half who will suit being partnered with Mullen, my only concern is surrounding those 2 with enough forward talent to allow the combination to flourish. If we can land him and then 2 more half decent forwards then I think the club will have done extremely well, but to put all the eggs in the Hodkinson basket, I have my doubts

Hodgkinson is currently playing behind the biggest pack in rugby league history but doesn't have the game to keep his first grade spot.

He sounds a great buy due to Laurie's loyalty at Origin level but will he be considered next year playing under Stone and with other halves fully fit and available?? We are paying SOO $$$$ for a player who is most probably playing his last rep game on June 8.

That said, he will be an upgrade on Roberts who is a huge disappointment.

I do not believe Tyrone is on 400K. That can not be true ffs.

Last edited:

Rod

Bench
Front-loading contracts this year when we're clearly not gonna do anything in the comp is smart, I hope that part at least is true.

I'm not gonna pretend I'm a huge Hodkinson fan but that doesn't mean I wouldn't take him. Landing him would be a good effort, he is an Origin player after all, deserved or not. As others have said, you would think he would be the perfect compliment for Mullen's game, the proper halfback that Mullen has never had.

We usually keep signings pretty quiet before they're announced so I'm hoping Mids is denying it until he's 100% over the line, which is also smart.

If we nabbed Glenn as well that would frankly be awesome considering the state we all thought we were in a few weeks ago.

Noname36

First Grade
I wouldn't exactly say sounding out Trent Hodkinson, when we're one of the only clubs left with a bit of money, is ambitious.

It is a smarter recruitment target than what I thought we'd go for though which is a relief.

macavity

Referee
I wouldn't exactly say sounding out Trent Hodkinson, when we're one of the only clubs left with a bit of money, is ambitious.

It is a smarter recruitment target than what I thought we'd go for though which is a relief.

Yeah, pretty much the crux of the matter.

It's us, the Titans and Parra who have cash and a "vacancy" in the halves.

The three biggest basket cases in the comp.

The fact we are in the top three of a three way competition is exactly the sort of thing to give heart to Knights supporters these days.

I am still dirty we didn't land Maloney - he can be an organiser when it's his role. I rate him much higher than Hodgkinson. There seemed to be little fanfare around his move to the Sharks.

Yosh

Coach
I reckon we will see Ashton Sims in a Knights jumper next season or the following. Just a hunch. Nothing more.

How old is the bloke? Having all three brothers here would be pretty nice. Fills a gap we need filled up front and would come relatively cheap. Imagine the beating a player would get if they put a cheap shot on Korbin. Two massive older brothers coming in to kill.

aqua_duck

Coach
Ashton is 30, wouldn't say no but wouldn't be at the top of my list. As mentioned above, Albert Vete from the warriors would be a quality signing or Matagi

Status
Not open for further replies.