What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Packy

Bench
Hokko started the year off poorly for us but there was something more to it than just form. I think he's kicked out of that funk. Last few years he has been very good. Particularly in a team that doesn't play a normal style.

He's a capable player. Very solid in defence even with huge back rowers running at him. He's good under pressure. Just don't expect him to score length of the field tries. He's not a hog and will get the ball to Gagai and Sione. I don't think he's a bad option for you guys given how poor Roberts has been.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Yeah, pretty much the crux of the matter.

It's us, the Titans and Parra who have cash and a "vacancy" in the halves.

The three biggest basket cases in the comp.

The fact we are in the top three of a three way competition is exactly the sort of thing to give heart to Knights supporters these days.

I am still dirty we didn't land Maloney - he can be an organiser when it's his role. I rate him much higher than Hodgkinson. There seemed to be little fanfare around his move to the Sharks.
Maloney would turn 30 next season . How long would you have signed him for ? When has it been his role to organize ? He's always been a 5/8 not a halfback, would you propose playing him out of position?

we already have a 5/8 in Mullen. If Maloney was a better halfback than Hodkinson he would be the SOO half, or given his combination with Pearce he would be 5/8 for NSW and Pearce half. Maloney is a well known speed bump in D and been found out plenty. He's a known target for oppositions attack. He's best years are behind him and he's highly overated.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Maloney is more of a halfback, he more often than not plays first receiver for the Roosters and did the same in CvC when Mullo pulled out and Jack Bird came in at 5/8. He won MOTM if im not mistaken

Stone's press conference today was interesting. Total Poker face. The current plan seems to be front load deals and have the potential off load players a year early for 2016/2017 onwards. My guess is Aku and others are on notice. Stone can see he is gone unless he makes inroads into squad strengthening. Playing dumb does not fool anyone. If Stone can buy the players he needs to better the club I am all for him staying as long as we improve big time.

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Maloney was a really good organiser at the Warriors I thought too. He changed his game slightly as more of a support runner at the Roosters as Pearce can help steer the ship a bit, but they still share that role well.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Maloney would turn 30 next season . How long would you have signed him for ? When has it been his role to organize ? He's always been a 5/8 not a halfback, would you propose playing him out of position?

we already have a 5/8 in Mullen. If Maloney was a better halfback than Hodkinson he would be the SOO half, or given his combination with Pearce he would be 5/8 for NSW and Pearce half. Maloney is a well known speed bump in D and been found out plenty. He's a known target for oppositions attack. He's best years are behind him and he's highly overated.

Have to disagree on that one. I think he has clearly been the primary organiser in every club side he has played in.

As for age, if we get 3 years out of him we have two halves coming up, surely one of them is ready by then.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Have to disagree on that one. I think he has clearly been the primary organiser in every club side he has played in.

As for age, if we get 3 years out of him we have two halves coming up, surely one of them is ready by then.
To be honest I would be happy with almost anyone than Tyrone. Shame as he seems like a good kid but for whatever reason hasnt stepped up to the plate.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I definitely wouldn't want Maloney. We need an organising half. As hopeless as Dureau was, I felt his game helped improve Mullens game. The club under Dureau played more structured and direct and it allowed Mullen to do the things that he does best. Having said all of that, Dureau still haunts me and I apologise for bringing him up.

perverse

Referee
I like the noises coming out of the club now re: recruitment. I think more than anything the groundswell of discontent recently may have made them realise that playing your cards too close to your chest, especially when things are in the toilet, might not be the most prudent course of action when the fans need some hope. We haven't had much luck with young Warriors over the years, but we'd be stupid not to have a look at their youngins at the moment. Landing Hodkinson and a couple of those boys would be good. Alex Glenn on top of all that would be out of this world good.

Would definitely prefer Maloney to Hodkinson, too. Better player, and might even be cheaper at the moment too.

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Opinions on Ikahihifo? Can't say I've ever taken much notice of him.
He's a bit up and down as a player but I would probably take him on a cheap deal. He's not huge but he runs hard with a good skill set. Could provide us some impact off the bench.

Hopefully we're looking at Vete as well though

aqua_duck

Coach
Wouldn't top my recruitment list, good mobility, runs hard but undersized. Not a bad player but I think We already have a very similar player in Luke Yates

Knight Vision

First Grade
We need big bodies with tonnes of mongrel in em, you win games in the engine room by intimidation ....ala Klemmer the other night

Frederick

Staff member
They're not dumb, but they also have a lot of big names commanding big salaries on their books...RTS, Johnson, Luke, Mannering, Vatuvei, Matulino, Hoffman. Couple that with the emergence of Kata and Lolohea, and money will continue to disappear very quickly, forcing them to offload if they want to keep their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts