What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1qaz

Juniors
Wouldn't put it pass Wayne to go after Carney again. Went for him when was at the Dragons before Carney signed to the Roosters.
On his day Carney is the best 6 in the game

1qaz

Juniors
I thought Bennett said a big no to Carney at the Dragons?

Master coach Wayne Bennett has opened up about his attempt to sign Todd Carney, the reformed Sydney Roosters star who now threatens to shatter St George Illawarra's premiership dream.

Speaking for the first time about his pursuit of the one-time NRL pariah, Bennett revealed the primary reason why he offered Carney a lifeline, saying: "No one wanted to see Todd self-destruct."
The red-hot Carney looms as the man who could derail Bennett's quest for a seventh premiership when the Dally M medallist leads the Roosters into battle in the grand final at ANZ Stadium.
But Carney could have easily been wearing the Red V on Sunday after Bennett met the troubled pivot two years ago following his sacking by Canberra.
"If you're asking was I keen on him, yeah we were," Bennett said.
"He had offers on the table. It wasn't that other clubs weren't interested in him and we were one of the clubs.
"He was only young. At his age, I knew the sort of player he was. We had one conversation. Todd had other offers on the table and unfortunately it didn't work out, that was about it."
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

With his NRL future in tatters after being jettisoned by the Raiders, Carney was summoned by his agent David Riolo in mid-2008.
Riolo had been in contact with Bennett, who agreed to meet Carney. The pair spoke about life and the opportunity to resurrect his career at the Dragons, but Carney's intended move to the joint-venture club collapsed when the Raiders played contractual hardball.
"Wayne came to my house, Todd came along and we had coffee in the lounge room and we had a good chat," Riolo recalled.

"Todd spoke to Matty Elliott (Penrith coach) and Tim Sheens (Wests Tigers) as well at that time, but Wayne was really keen and we all thought the Dragons would have been great for him.

"Todd would have come to Wollongong and played for Shellharbour, but Canberra blocked him from playing there.

"The first option was for Todd to train with Shellharbour, have a year with them, and then come into the Dragons NRL squad for this season.

"But the Dragons wanted to see how he went first, and then the Roosters came into the picture and there were some great synergies there."

Riolo said Carney's heart-to-heart with Bennett contributed to his renewed perspective on life.

"While things didn't work out, Todd was better for the meeting with Wayne," Riolo said.

"He's a wise man and you can tell by the way Wayne coaches - he doesn't just coach better footballers, he helps them with their lives as well

"The Dragons weren't the only club keen, Penrith, the Tigers and I think Manly also showed interest.

"In the end, it wasn't about the offers, it was finding the right fit for Todd and that happened to be the Roosters."

Despite emerging as the playmaker who could orchestrate Bennett's first NRL grand final loss, the Dragons coach says he can't be happier for Carney.

"There's some very special talents in this game and Todd is in that category," Bennett said.

"I just wanted to see a guy of his ability do well, no one wanted to see him self-destruct. He's had a lot of help, but he's worked hard as well. He got a chance to redeem himself and it's a great credit to him."

Get rid of Gids to sign Carney?
How would that go down in Newcastle? :eek:

perverse

Referee
Well, there you go. I guess it isn't impossible that he could end up here. Doesn't matter who we sign, our coach will always find a spot for Gids, lol.

Noname36

First Grade
He'd be a great addition to our squad. Like Mullo he's a rare natural playmaker and I'd love to watch them together.

Still though, I'd be way too nervous to have him here. Coming to Newcastle has done wonders for blokes like Gagai and BJ, but I'd be nervous what kind of influence Carney would have on the others (especially when a few have had issues in the past).

Rod

Bench
He's shown a staggering inability to learn from his mistakes over a number of years. Unfortunately, like Suarez, some people just seem inable to make the right logical decision despite past experience and everything else telling them otherwise. I've given up on the bloke and it's a shame because I've always liked him as a player and like Mullo have always thought he should have been chucked in Origin and left there. Unlike Mullo though, the main reason that hasn't happened is himself.

Anyway we'd be crazy to take him especially when we aren't desperate for halves. Sure we have guys like Leilua and Gags who did a silly thing or two but they weren't on their millionth chance like Carney was. They've attempted to rehabilitate Carney at three clubs now and given him all the support he could need and it's blown up in the face of these clubs every time. Why would we be any different? Wayne is supposedly good with guys like that but he's not a miracle worker.

Besides, even if we did happen to make a play for him the NRL most likely wouldn't allow it, certainly not this year and most likely not 2015 either. And that's the way it should be. Clubs shouldn't be punished for doing the right thing in sacking these blokes only for another club to rock up and sign them.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
I actually think we may need a new Half to make any sought if tilt at the title in years to come. I love Roberts but I'm worried about his form drop and his inability to control a game. Though he is young and I feel his confidence took a hit during Tinklers business.

I kind feel for Carney on this occasion because it was his 'mate' who posted a photo to the world and ruined his career from a private stupid male moment. In saying that the act was disgusting.
The guy is extremely talented and if he does get picked up by a club they have to ban him from alcohol intake period. Newcastle could be good for him to get away from Sydney night life and media hotspot. And seriously if he and Mullen fired on all cylinders we'd be an impressive team!!!

But all can't just be speculation until we know what Bennett is doing. Staying or going no signing can be made until the coaches future is settled.

Frederick

Staff member
I actually think we may need a new Half to make any sought if tilt at the title in years to come. I love Roberts but I'm worried about his form drop and his inability to control a game. Though he is young and I feel his confidence took a hit during Tinklers business.

I kind feel for Carney on this occasion because it was his 'mate' who posted a photo to the world and ruined his career from a private stupid male moment. In saying that the act was disgusting.
The guy is extremely talented and if he does get picked up by a club they have to ban him from alcohol intake period. Newcastle could be good for him to get away from Sydney night life and media hotspot. And seriously if he and Mullen fired on all cylinders we'd be an impressive team!!!

But all can't just be speculation until we know what Bennett is doing. Staying or going no signing can be made until the coaches future is settled.

Jaelan Feeney is the man. More talented than Roberts and can control the game

Joker's Wild

Coach

The guy is extremely talented and if he does get picked up by a club they have to ban him from alcohol intake period.
Newcastle could be good for him to get away from Sydney night life and media hotspot. And seriously if he and Mullen fired on all cylinders we'd be an impressive team!!!

The Roosters tried and failed. The Sharks let him do what he wanted because they needed him but in the end couldnt put up with the dramas

Todd is an alcoholic and needs help. Unless he gets it and stays off the piss for good, I dont want him near my club, competition or game

Noname36

First Grade
Jaelan Feeney is the man. More talented than Roberts and can control the game

We'll see. Half the time I watch Feeney he looks the goods, the other half he looks bog average. I think it may be the case of the star studded u20s line up he has around him making him look better than he really is. He's obviously a natural organiser though, but I don't think he has the pure football instincts that Roberts has. Either way I'd be happy keeping Roberts in the bench role. He seems to enjoy that too. He's not a natural leader so coming off the bench just let's him play off the cuff which plays to his strengths.

Noname36

First Grade
Besides, even if we did happen to make a play for him the NRL most likely wouldn't allow it, certainly not this year and most likely not 2015 either. And that's the way it should be. Clubs shouldn't be punished for doing the right thing in sacking these blokes only for another club to rock up and sign them.

That's a good point re the NRL. Even if they choose not to deregister Todd, with them currently running things here they probably wouldn't allow us to take a crack anyway (unless Bennett made a convincing argument and was prepared to take responsibility for him).

I feel a bit sorry for Carney to be honest. I know "he's had so many chances, etc" but to me he's clearly an alcoholic, and from all reports it's been ingrained from a young age. It's such a shame. He had the potential to be one of the greats in the game but he's repeatedly been his own worst enemy.

RHCP

Bench
Our entire squad could piss in their mouths and I couldn't give a shit. What they do in their spare time is none of my business, as long as they're performing on the field and not hurting anybody.

aqua_duck

Coach
Our entire squad could piss in their mouths and I couldn't give a shit. What they do in their spare time is none of my business, as long as they're performing on the field and not hurting anybody.

I would agree with you if it was anyone other than Todd Carney involved

slotmachine

First Grade
I'm sure sponsors love that type of thing.

With all the garbage gone on here in the last five years we should be avoiding anyone who talks to loud in church

Misanthrope

Staff member

:lol: This is pretty much my stance too. Alas, sponsors tend to be a bit squeamish about such things.

Noname36

First Grade
Well we've already signed a public urinator, a field urinator...mouth urinator just seems like the next logical step for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.