What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker's Wild

Coach
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/newcastle-prop-willie-mason-waits-on-wayne-bennett-decision-as-he-weighs-up-future/story-fni3fbgz-1226992539168

Mason's comments in this article have severely pissed me off. Sounds like we're going to lose a fair few players. His comments that none of he, Boyd, Smith, Scott, Gags or BJ would be at the club if it weren't for Bennett, while true, are a huge slap in the face to a club that opened it's doors to them...especially blokes like Mase that didn't have many options or Gagai and BJ that had off field issues.

Just let em all go. I can't even imagine how tough hearing shit like that would be for long-term players like Gids, Mullo, Aku or Macca.

Let them all go because of what Willie said? Jeez mate, little perspective

Willie is a big mouth, always has been, and he thinks he can speak for other players, always has done. He is trying to up his profile to get a new contract when he knows he might struggle to get any offers from elsewhere.

Until BJ, Dane, etc come out and say they are only here to play under Wayne and want to leave now, Ill just assume they feel the opposite

Noname36

First Grade
The article uses his quote SO far out of context!!!

How do you know that?

Let them all go because of what Willie said? Jeez mate, little perspective

Willie is a big mouth, always has been, and he thinks he can speak for other players, always has done. He is trying to up his profile to get a new contract when he knows he might struggle to get any offers from elsewhere.

Until BJ, Dane, etc come out and say they are only here to play under Wayne and want to leave now, Ill just assume they feel the opposite

I wasn't meaning to refer to specific players. My mentions of Gags, BJ, Scott, etc were merely to highlight the problems I had with Mason's comments insinuating that all of them are only here because of Wayne and nothing else. While that's no doubt true I don't think there was a need to say that when the club opened it's doors to him when he didn't have many other options. He also knows it opened the door to a couple of kids that'd had off field issues that a lot of clubs wouldn't.

My "let them all go" wasn't meant to refer to anyone named, but instead anyone that goes to the club asking for a release. If they don't want to be here then I'd prefer them not be here.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
here here.....thats one of the reasons why I think teams tend to go better when there are more locals in the lineup....they have passion and pride in the jersey. The opposition might win but theyre going home knowing they were in a footy game,

I'm sorry but that's a myth. When Brian Smith came in he had to cut half a dozen locals because they simply didn't have any pride in the jersey anymore, guys like Perry, Newton, Brad Tighe, Kade Snowden, etc.
Some blokes just simply hate to lose where as others don't care.

Joker's Wild

Coach
How do you know that?

I wasn't meaning to refer to specific players. My mentions of Gags, BJ, Scott, etc were merely to highlight the problems I had with Mason's comments insinuating that all of them are only here because of Wayne and nothing else. While that's no doubt true I don't think there was a need to say that when the club opened it's doors to him when he didn't have many other options. He also knows it opened the door to a couple of kids that'd had off field issues that a lot of clubs wouldn't.

My "let them all go" wasn't meant to refer to anyone named, but instead anyone that goes to the club asking for a release. If they don't want to be here then I'd prefer them not be here.

Fair enough mate, it read differently to me

I agree with you though. If the coach is the only thing keeping them here and they want to move on then the club shouldnt stand in their way

Noname36

First Grade
Fair enough mate, it read differently to me

I agree with you though. If the coach is the only thing keeping them here and they want to move on then the club shouldnt stand in their way

No worries, I probably wasn't clear. And yeah, I've never understood why clubs block releases when players want to go. They can have all the talent in the world but I'd prefer blokes that actually want to be there.

Blokes like Gagai and BJ look extremely happy and settled to me, but I think another reason I reacted badly to Mason's comments was because he made it sound like the boys had spoken about it and he has a fair idea of who's looking to leave...

The annoying thing is, the longer it takes for Bennett to get a club, the longer it's going to take for blokes to work out whether they can or want to go with him, or whether they want to stay here. I really think that after the rise for Alex round the club should just say to the players that anyone that has any intention of leaving to do so now.

Would be great if the self appointed player's leader wasn't trying to live in total denial about the fact he will be 35 next year and he is way past it.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm sorry but that's a myth. When Brian Smith came in he had to cut half a dozen locals because they simply didn't have any pride in the jersey anymore, guys like Perry, Newton, Brad Tighe, Kade Snowden, etc.
Some blokes just simply hate to lose where as others don't care.
Perhaps its not a 100 % sure thing but growing up from a small kid dreaming of playing for a team must ( usually would ) instill a certain amount of passion and pride you would hope.

Dave_

Juniors
I was just watching a bit of the NSW cup game between Penrith and Newtown. What a beast this Kane Evans is, such a shame a big young front rower like him gets wasted at the Rorters. He is so what we need, he absolutely killed it.

I just noticed he's signed with them grubs till 2017.....

Dave_

Juniors
^ It's frustrating because he would be in fg for us yet they can't even find a place for him. For a top young front rower to sign such a long term deal at the age of 22 when he's not even in the top grade tells me he's on big coin.

This guy would've been in huge demand yet they can sign him for 4 years and leave him in reserve grade? Rorters in every sense of the word.

Dave_

Juniors
We need to get onto his manager, tell him we can guarantee a fg spot, match the offer and see if he can weasel out of his contract. F**k the Rorters, they'd try it on us. We could even throw in Houston and/or Mason.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
I know Kane personally, my best mate went to school with him and he's a guy who's fairly entrenched in the eastern suburbs, grew up there, went to school at Matraville, all his mates are from around there and has been with the roosters since SG Ball. He's had a decent crack at 1st grade this year and has a few things he needs to work on mainly in defence and he knows that.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Fair call mate. Out of all the teams in the comp, I'm most skeptical of the Roosters. How they can be under the salary cap is a real mystery.
Listening to Ray Warren on Triple M when the Roosters were trying to register Ferguson for a contract and he was saying " how can they be under the cap" " how can they be under the cap" ?? its a question many are asking. Look at the line up. The last time I was asking myself the same question was the Storm and we all know how that ended up. It is simply impossible that they have all these superstars and be playing by the same rules as everyone else, and if they are then the rules need to change. The comp relies on its integrity and this certainly raises the question are teams competing on a level playing field.

Regards the Rorters - I could of coached them to a GF last year. Just look at the line up. Its unbelievable.....

aqua_duck

Coach
Before a ball was kicked last season a lot of people were saying the roosters would not make the 8, they weren't even considered amongst the favourites. Go through their team, Mini is a has been, RTS was a rookie last year, Tupou was a Parra reject, Pearce is one of the most maligned footballers in recent years, Guerra was only a fringe 1st grader 18 months ago, Moa was a no name from the ESL, JWH was someone who had more critics than fans, Luke O'Donnell was labelled a has been.
Give Trent Robinson some credit, he galvanised a side of individuals, turned rejects like Tupou, Guerra, and Moa into rep players, and made the team buy into his gameplan.
As for Rabs, the bloke has no idea, he barely follows the game these days outside the matches he commentates.

Noname36

First Grade
Tbh as long as Gagai and Sione stay I wouldn't be too upset if BJ left. I do like him a lot but of the 3 centres he's the one id be least disappointed to see go.

Just on the Roosters, don't forget guys that players would play for less to be able to live in the Eastern suburbs. They'd probably also be willing to play reserve grade to stay there. The test will come when they have to play for Wyong instead. I despise the Roosters and my hate has only climbed since they dumped Newtown, but they're the most appealing club in the comp due to their location and recent success so don't underestimate that as a draw for recruiting and retaining players.

Spot On

Coach
Before a ball was kicked last season a lot of people were saying the roosters would not make the 8, they weren't even considered amongst the favourites. Go through their team, Mini is a has been, RTS was a rookie last year, Tupou was a Parra reject, Pearce is one of the most maligned footballers in recent years, Guerra was only a fringe 1st grader 18 months ago, Moa was a no name from the ESL, JWH was someone who had more critics than fans, Luke O'Donnell was labelled a has been.
Give Trent Robinson some credit, he galvanised a side of individuals, turned rejects like Tupou, Guerra, and Moa into rep players, and made the team buy into his gameplan.
As for Rabs, the bloke has no idea, he barely follows the game these days outside the matches he commentates.

Good recruitment and good coaching tbh. Something our club has little idea about. They'll lose Williams and Minichello which will give them money to spend on keeping blokes like Evans and recruiting another big name. However, something will have to give in the near future as they have pretty much a rep quality roster and as we've seen you can't keep them all forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.