What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noname36

First Grade
Those Mata'utia boys grew up in Bankstown didn't they? Uh oh.

It's really only Sione I'm worried about. I don't care if Chanel or Pat go but if a club makes a play for a few of them I'd be worried about Sione following.

Spot On

Coach
It's a no brainer to lock both Sione and Chanel up now. Again, Boyd, Uate and Gidley hold 1.6m of our cap. I'm sorry but that can be better spent going forward. We went and bought O'Donnell, Liki and the other bloke from St George with an eye to the future (worked out well hey) and these blokes have been under our nose the whole time. Do we have anyone in charge with enough brains to give these blokes a shot at playing for their club?

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
why lock up chanel when we have aku and jimmy mac signed until 2017/2016 and mamo signed for 2015?

seeing as we have two props with first grade experience signed for next season that money is better spent elsewhere.

Spot On

Coach
Happy to see Uate's money spent elsewhere. Yes I'll eat my words if there is a coach on the planet that can get him to catch, read in defence, hold the ball when being tackled and generally not f**k up on such a regular basis.

I think about the close losses we have had this year and they are mainly due to horrible mistakes and errors from our backs. I agree we need props but our forwards have carried this team in most matches this year. We had Mlb on the rack early in the year for Gids to come up with three stupid penalties. We had Manly on the rack but Aku can't catch and Mullo can't close a game out with a field goal. We were horrible across the park against the Titans a few weeks back but Aku handed them the ball with countless errors.

Everyone has a bad game here or there, makes a poor error at vital times but Aku's career is littered with them and is always going to be a target because of it.

Just my opinion but Boyd and Aku's money give us a hell of a lot of options and cash to be decent players. Those two are easily replaceable on their form shown the past few seasons.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
We won't be able to offload Aku. Nobody would touch him at the moment.

Just gotta hope he can get some spend and agility back.

slotmachine

First Grade
aku's defence and handling were fine when he had confidence. he looks like the life has been sucked out of him under bennett.

i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until we see him under a new coach.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
aku's defence and handling were fine when he had confidence. he looks like the life has been sucked out of him under bennett.

i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until we see him under a new coach.

We must have been watching a different bloke because to me Aku has always had terrible defence and hands. Difference was his pros (his speed, agility and strength) used to far outweigh his cons. Now his pros are disappearing and all that's left are the errors. I hope the new coach that comes in will make him lose weight and work on his sprints and lateral movement, but I've given up on him ever learning to catch or defend.

Rod

Bench
Boyd is mostly likely gone anyway. Gidley has one more year left so we'll just have to put up with that until 2016 because he isn't going anywhere.

In retrospect Uate's contract isn't ideal but we know the reasons for that when it was signed. Also he had an absolute shocker against the Titans but before that he was showing good signs.

In any case, even with Uate and Gidley next year we shouldn't have any reason to lose Sione and anyone else we want to keep because of cap problems. We've only signed Tariq and that should easily be covered by Boyd's money, plus we know we had cap space even before that.

perverse

Referee
We should have cap space pouring out our f**king ears. Next year you've got Scott, Aku and Mullo on $500k+, Gidley on 400k, Snowy on ~$350k and then... nothing really.

We need to invest heavily in this junior crop. If Sione ends up leaving I'll dead set give up on this club, I reckon. There were rumours on FB that both Sione and Chanel were talking to other clubs. I'll seriously flip out if he leaves. We can't possibly be that f**king hopeless.

Last edited:
Well we did give up our one decent forward under 40, so sadly nothing will suprise me.

Anyone else scared no one else will want Boyd now and we'll be stuck with him?

aqua_duck

Coach
Those Mata'utia boys grew up in Bankstown didn't they? Uh oh.

It's really only Sione I'm worried about. I don't care if Chanel or Pat go but if a club makes a play for a few of them I'd be worried about Sione following.

I think the family moved like 10 years ago so the 3 younger boys have lived more of their lives in Newcastle, also I doubt they'd leave mum if they had a choice

Dave_

Juniors
The thing that worries me about Aku is he'll be 27 next year. Most outside backs seem to slow down from 27-28. Imo he's really wasted the prime 3 years of his career. He may improve his handling and positional play but the explosive ball runner we once had in Aku is gone for good I fear......

Status
Not open for further replies.