What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Doubt there would be a TPA issue anywhere with Hayne. He'd possibly get a media agreement.
Tits still need to fork out $1.2 mill for him. You'd need a well established structure with a lot of depth to spend that amount. We need that structure rebuilt.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Amazed that he is available to play for the remainder of this year. When I saw it I assumed it was from next season.
Will be interesting to see what he can bring.
And does this put Mead up for grabs? Should we make a play for him?

Alex28

Coach
Fox Sports rumour of a player swap - Joe Wardle for Jack Stockwell for 2017 (so Wardle a year early).

And we bag Stone. Great bloke if he gives us a gift like that!

perverse

Referee
Is Wardle even a gift? We know absolutely nothing about him other than he's a small backrower or a large centre. I can find nothing but underwhelming footage of him in the ESL... and if you're not carving that comp up - why the f**k do we care about you? We're talking about a comp that Chris Sandow and Albert Kelly own. George Carmont was Man of Steel.

Everyone seems to be really stoked that we're getting this guy, but I can't fathom why. He could be worse than Cameron Ciraldo at this point. Honestly, Brown hasn't blown me away with his ability to spot a talent at this point. Pauli is still a lazy turd, and the rest he brought in thus far are just straight up shit.

Edit - Actually sorry, Barnett goes good thus far.

Glendale

Juniors
Hmmm I like Pauli Pauli. He's got the talent and we've seen it in a few games. What he becomes is up to him. He could be a really really good player if he is dedicated enough. Still very young and I'm happy he's a Knight for the moment.

I'll wait until Wardle plays for us before I make a judgement but it does seem a peculiar signing at this point. With Sione and Barnett showing that they might be high class backrowers in the future there might be no spot for him... And he's English, so, don't play him in the backs... Please! Brown gave him his debut at Huddersfield so he obviously knows him very well. Jury is out on that one.

The other signings like Bhana and Elliot were made because they were dirt cheap and would provide depth and maybe turn into solid first graders. It's all he can do with our cap the way it is atm.

Nuffy

Bench
Is Wardle even a gift? We know absolutely nothing about him other than he's a small backrower or a large centre. I can find nothing but underwhelming footage of him in the ESL... and if you're not carving that comp up - why the f**k do we care about you? We're talking about a comp that Chris Sandow and Albert Kelly own. George Carmont was Man of Steel.

Everyone seems to be really stoked that we're getting this guy, but I can't fathom why. He could be worse than Cameron Ciraldo at this point. Honestly, Brown hasn't blown me away with his ability to spot a talent at this point. Pauli is still a lazy turd, and the rest he brought in thus far are just straight up shit.

Edit - Actually sorry, Barnett goes good thus far.

So If Barnett is the sole good decision amongst the rest, then its not talent identification, its lotto.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Yeah Perverse - but like Glendale, I also think Pauli is still a work in progress in fairness - with his footwork, speed and building an offload, his long term benefit to us is as a potential bench impact forward for mine...but that relies a lot on us having a solid platform for the first 25 minutes plus so that an impact player has the ability to 'impact'. :rolleyes:

I'm less impressed with blokes like Micky Paea - watched him in the first half against the Eagles and he has no urgency in his defence or scramble...the try where Trebojivich(?) gets dacked, Micky is a potential inside cover in the middle when he cuts through and he just stood there and watched about a metre away and didn't even turn around and chase.

Back to the point, I am expecting (read hoping at this point) that Mooney will be the key in terms of talent identification and astute buying, which is why Brown got him here...what he appears to have contributed to at the Sharks makes me hope he can(with time) get our roster balanced with enough talent to see us incrementally improve - my point in this is that surrounding yourself with the right people in key positions is as good as having the skill yourself

Last edited:

Still Nutty

Juniors
So If Barnett is the sole good decision amongst the rest, then its not talent identification, its lotto.
I see the point... but when your bank balance doesn't afford you the opportunity to spend millions, sometimes all you can do is spend what you've got on lotto tickets and hope to strike it rich :oops:

Still Nutty

Juniors
Not a world beater....but I think Peter Mat has turned out to be a solid pick up for us at what seems to be a reasonable price - whilst we might still be talking varying levels of average first graders, he certainly is a step up on some of the other centre offerings we have tried this year

Burwood

Bench
So what exactly is Pauli's future in first grade? Is he a 120kg impact player, or someone that is a genuine 80 minute player? At the moment, Brown seems intent on him playing the full 80 minutes every week. Pauli is forced into providing low impact over the length of the match as opposed to providing high impact for 30-40 minutes.

I'm hoping that Brown is trying to force him into getting a lot more endurance by running him ragged this year. Sure, the team suffers now because he is pretty much ineffective in attack and a liability in defence once his tank is empty after 20-30 minutes, but next year we can get a very good contribution from him if he comes off the bench late each half.

Glendale

Juniors
So what exactly is Pauli's future in first grade? Is he a 120kg impact player, or someone that is a genuine 80 minute player? At the moment, Brown seems intent on him playing the full 80 minutes every week. Pauli is forced into providing low impact over the length of the match as opposed to providing high impact for 30-40 minutes.

I'm hoping that Brown is trying to force him into getting a lot more endurance by running him ragged this year. Sure, the team suffers now because he is pretty much ineffective in attack and a liability in defence once his tank is empty after 20-30 minutes, but next year we can get a very good contribution from him if he comes off the bench late each half.

Yep thats exactly what he's doing. I saw an interview with Brown earlier in the year asking him about his plans for Pauli Pauli and he said he wanted him to build up his fitness so he could play longer minutes, be that on the edge or in the middle. That's why he dropped him to reserve grade for a few weeks there.

As for what his future is, I personally reckon he could be a Kasiano type bench impact forward. But he also has the ability to play 80 minutes on an edge if we need. He's a bit of a soft Marshmallow now but if he wants to, he will be a damaging player.

Jono078

Referee
He would be, but no way he would come here unless it was a huge pay packet. Panthers aren't just going to let their rising star and captain leave that easily.

Frederick

Staff member
He would be, but no way he would come here unless it was a huge pay packet. Panthers aren't just going to let their rising star and captain leave that easily.
All depends on how much he wants really. They've got DWZ who can play fullback, carty and te maire martin who can play 5/8, cleary at half...I get the feeling Gould won't let the club be held ransom by any player

Apparently reading today's news a guy from Taree put up 400K of Haynes salary as a TPA saying he wanted to help rugby League on the North Coast/ Gold Coast. Taree is a hell of a lot closer to Newcastle than Gold Coast.

The article talks about how the guy was keen to have Hayne as an ambassador but wouldn't stump up the cash if he went to Parra. This highlights the potentially murky nature of TPA's when the person funding them will only pay for certain teams.