What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

EdLondon

Juniors
We should get back Kurt Gidley and sign up Chris Sandow. They look loike dead set immortals in the Super League. Sandow would only be a cool 800k or so.

EdLondon

Juniors
I think i just saw the esl thurstun. He was playing for warrington. Sign him up now. He looked like a world beater.

Am several beers down for the night but my judgement is first class

Joel-22

Juniors
I've pretty much lost faith that we're going to sign anyone despite losing Snowden, Smith, Sims, McManus, Tapine and possibly Rochow. I'll be happy with a NSW Cup/NYC fullback from another club who is stuck behind a better player in that position and genuine hardheaded front-rower in the twilight of his career.
At the moment it seems the recruitment strategy is to not sign anyone and continue playing with 12 year olds in first grade next year.

The "plan" is apparently re-sign Rochow, get Bird, Kostjaysn, and two other Pauli level cheap players.

So we could bank on both Bird and Rochow being out through injury or suspension for a good portion of the year. That basically leaves us with kostjaysn. So pretty much another spoon for us.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Honestly, how do any of you know what the "plan" is for 2017 exactly?

There's still plenty of time to get players on board before 2017, it's only August 2016 after all.

I'm curious as to what, exactly, you'd be doing differently than Brown given our position salary cap wise. What else can realistically happen or should be happening in your opinion

I'm genuinely curious

K-Man

Bench
I think the Titans are the club we can compare ourselves to in terms of where we're at and where we could be. They started the season down in among the spoon favourites with us, but they might end up playing finals. They don't have superstars, so what do they have?

1. Young talented halves doing a MUCH better job than our experienced ones, or the young ones we bring up. They lost arguably the best of them (Elgey) in pre-season, promoted Taylor who is at the type of level we ourselves could have been in the market for instead of Plodkinson, and are even relying on Tyrone Roberts who as far as most people here were concerned was absolute poison and needed to be replaced (with someone like Hodkinson). So basically, none of that adds up to the Titans having much over us other than better talent identification and forward thinking. We could just as easily be playing with their halves this year, if we wanted that or tried to get that.

2. Bird and Taia in the backow - One of them is apparently not what we need, and the other is apparently a has-been from our own ranks.

3. Fullbacks that aren't flash. We could probably have made a play for Mead, who wouldn't cost much but is still better than any of our current options including our Origin rep.

I could go on, but what I'm getting at is that on an individual basis it seems like there are very few players at the Titans most of us here would even want. Yet they're in much better shape than we are.

Personally I think until we address our spine we are going to keep getting the wooden spoon. I would just about rank our 1,6,7,9 as all individually the worst in their position in the competition. So it's not just that we have the worst spine overall, it's that we have the worst spine player in every position. That is ridiculous.

Getting rid of Hodko and finding a fullback have to be our top priorities. I don't know how, but it has to happen. Would I love some better forwards? Absolutely. But we need to boost our spine so badly that I'm afraid forwards can only be our second priority.

slotmachine

First Grade
Hagan was on the radio the other day bagging the club for letting tapine and sims walk and he basically admitted that he automatically matched any other clubs offers (real or otherwise) when re-signing players.

Don't think the managers did much to earn their 6% in those negotiations.

Jono078

Referee
Hagan's a fool. Everyone talks about him being such a nice guy - it's because he hands out money like that without thinking of the overall scheme!

Every club he's been to he has f**ked their roster and set them back years.

He's the one we need to cut all ties with.

Glendale

Juniors
Don't know if you guys watched the show but if given we're playing Chris Adams in first grade, Chris Hyde, the guy who finished 3rd on the NRL Rookie, would be a good option to have on atleast a 2nd tier contract. He's a hooker and was probably stiff not to win or atleast make the top 2. He's local, comes from Central Coast and played in the Newcastle Rugby League. He's about 28 years old though which might deter us, but he could end up being the next Ross... Something tells me that if he was voted as the winner we might have gone for him, given we only have two hookers at the club currently he'd be worth a punt.

I can't see us going for a fullback for a while yet.
I'm basing that on what Brown has said. He mentioned he'd give the likes of Mamo (specifically) a go over the next 6 to 8 months. The week after Mamo was at fullback.
I'm still out on Bird because of his suspension rate and off-field antics. Maybe, just maybe, playing for his 'home' club will give him some pride in wearing the jumper.

Latest posts