What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Burwood

Bench
A 1-year deal, hey? Good on Robbie for not going for long-term security and instead backing himself to remain injury free in 2017 and earn a big contract in 2018 and beyond.

I'm sure this will end well for him again :rolleyes:

Swarzey

Bench
Not bothered.

He really hasn't kicked on since the 2013 season; his combo with Boyd and Leilua was amazing but that's as far as he really got. Solid defender but still, left plenty to be desired for. Likely ate up a fair chunk of the cap and we need all the space we can. I'd say I hope he finds that old form at Souths but I can only see that team bringing players further and further down.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It's pretty weird that he's going for a 1 year deal at another club given that's what we offered. And normally 1 year deals aren't for massive money either so it seems a bit strange to me.

Oh well he hasn't seen much game time the last few years and the last thing we need is another guy who we're paying to sit on the sidelines.

Our lack of experience just got worse though, so that's a bit of a worry.

Jono078

Referee
It's pretty weird that he's going for a 1 year deal at another club given that's what we offered. And normally 1 year deals aren't for massive money either so it seems a bit strange to me.
His mate Clint probably told him not to sign anything past 2018 like everyone else..

Joel-22

Juniors
From the Daily Telegraph

"I think he was just keen to get away and go to a club with a bit more of an upside as far as their playing roster was concerned,” Gainey said.

Knights football boss Darren Mooney said the club was disappointed to lose Rochow.

“We made him a more than competitive offer but it came down to Robbie wanting to join a stronger roster in the short term,” Mooney said.

What a soft cock. That is not the attitude you want from a senior forward

Glendale

Juniors
Can't blame him. I know its disappointing as a fan but you've gotta think about it from Robbie's perspective. He's mid-late twenties so he's no certainty to be apart of the Knights future and he doesn't want to stay at a club which gets beaten every week.

The head scratching thing is the fact he chose South Sydney of all clubs.... WTF?? :) The way things are looking atm we have around the same sort of upside as them next year. Which makes me think it has to be about the money, hasn't it?

I would have preferred to have kept Rochow, but he's no star. Would he help us, yes. But will we ever really, REALLY, miss him? Doubt it.

macavity

Referee
Gotta agree its not the sort of attitude we want around the place. A senior for us and hardly backing himself to be a leader of men.

perverse

Referee
Ok, so I don't care that Rochow is out the door. The way I see it, we've done without him for 2 years anyway... So nothing lost on our current situation, just salary cap gained.

However, as they say in politics, this is bad optics for the club. It's bad enough when you're on the way down and your few remaining stars start jumping ship. We're at the very bottom of the well and even slightly above average players that come from the region are willing to play elsewhere for less, in a marketplace where we can't spend as much as many other clubs even if players would come to us for more money. It's a bad look, and only adds further woe to trying to attract any talent at all to the place.

Jono078

Referee
I hope the roster we have next year play with a real chip on their shoulders.

We've had some key guys leave because they're basically saying "I don't want to play with a bunch of loser who aren't going to achieve shit".

slotmachine

First Grade
It doesn't matter how hard they play if the team is comprised of 50% reserve grade talent.

So Rochow walks. Our marquee target is under contract for 2017 and probably fancies hanging around on the Gold Coast and winning some games.

It seems Rory Kostjaysn is as high as we can aim.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I can't entirely blame Rochow, he wants to be part of a winning team and I guess he feels that Souths are heading in that direction quicker than we are.

It's a shame but as others have mentioned he hasn't spent much time on the field for us anyway so what difference is it really going to make.

After all of this hardship we're going through to free up some cash I have a pretty high expectation for our 2018 recruitment drive which we're hearing so much about, we need to bring some quality first graders into this team. I'm not expecting us to pick up a bunch of superstars but I'm expecting us to go after a marquee player and get some good seasoned first graders to back him up and solidify the weak areas in our roster.

If after all this we still have a similar looking team in 2018 I'll be bitterly disappointed.

I could understand that comment if he was going to a team like the sharks or even Parra but although they won a comp in 2014 Souths seem to be a bit of a rabble at the moment. Can't see that changing in the short term as they already have the talent it seems they have grown tired of the coach.

Glendale

Juniors
And our main recruitment target is Rochor's brother in law... Hmmmm

Everything is pointing to us having an even worse roster in 2017. F*** this is depressing.