What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Noname36

First Grade
Also while disappointing to lose Rochow (because of lack of replacements really) the bigger issue IMO is what his leaving represents. There must not be much positivity about the team's future on field success within the playing group if Rochow sees a 1 year option to go to f**king Souths who are also in on field strife as the better option.

mozza91

Coach
According to the DT, Mullen is Brown's No1 target to release and the club is looking to sign Heighington.

Peak stupidity.
Yep. Thanks Brown unwilling to admit Hodkinson being a total failure but will happily sack our only decent attacking player. So 2017, 2018 and 2019 will now all be rebuilding years with a possible chance of success in 2020? Can't wait!

Frederick

Staff member
Yep. Thanks Brown unwilling to admit Hodkinson being a total failure but will happily sack our only decent attacking player. So 2017, 2018 and 2019 will now all be rebuilding years with a possible chance of success in 2020? Can't wait!
Yeah, I agree. Why get rid of Mullen when next year will be his breakout year - I can just feel it! He's building towards something special in his limited game time, and next year he might even make it to double figure games!

You're all kidding yourselves if you think Mullen is worth even half of what he's on. He's had his chance to stamp himself as a dominant playmaker, but he blew it. Too many injuries and a severe case of mental midget syndrome.

Glendale

Juniors
Yeah, I agree. Why get rid of Mullen when next year will be his breakout year - I can just feel it! He's building towards something special in his limited game time, and next year he might even make it to double figure games!

You're all kidding yourselves if you think Mullen is worth even half of what he's on. He's had his chance to stamp himself as a dominant playmaker, but he blew it. Too many injuries and a severe case of mental midget syndrome.

No one pretends like he's Joey MKII anymore, he's had a disappointing career and most of us agree don't really care if he goes right now. The issue is who replaces him... We won't be able to buy anyone, there isn't anyone on the market apart from Benji (lol), so it's gonna be Lamb and Cogger. Neither are ready for a full season of first grade yet and should be just allowed to play first grade in short bursts. Despite what you will say about Jarrod Mullen, he is the best player we currently have at the club, it's obvious the difference he makes to this side. With him in the team we have shown that we can atleast compete with some of the top sides in the competition. With him not in the team we are absolutely horrendous, I think we've had one decent performance (against Canberra) all year without him. That's not to say that Mullo turns our team from horrendous to good, no, we're still shite with him but a little less shite and actually a hope of scoring some points in games and atleast sticking with the opposition when he's in the team.

So we get rid of him. I won't be slitting my wrists. But we've lost MORE experience to our starting 17, infact our most experienced player, we've replaced him with ANOTHER 20 year old... So it's another spoon, our third in a row and again we'll be lucky to win 3 games all season. Ok. It's fine if you're happy with that I guess. I personally don't know if I could handle it again. I accept that 2017 will be another sh*t year but I don't understand making it worse then it has to be.

TLDR, keep Mullen for another year. If the plan is Lamb and Cogger then throwing them into a full season before they're ready will kill them. With Mullen still at the club he can offer some priceless experience and guidance to them as well. I fancy winning some games and looking like a decent footy side at some point next year and IMO keeping Mullen will help with that. I like that Browny's clearing salary cap but there comes a point where its gone too far. We can't have a team full of 20 year olds, get rid of every single decent experienced player and expect all the young guys to improve.

mozza91

Coach
I have no problem getting rid of him if we sign someone better. Blooding young kids will work in some cases and not in others. I'm hoping Lamb can become a good NRL half he certainly has all the talent to. Cogger I'm not convinced on. He's too small and barely stands out in the 20's most of the time. It's way too big a gamble. I can see why getting rid of Uate and Stockwell will benefit us but getting rid of Mullen now has no upside whatsoever.

slotmachine

First Grade
I can't believe there's only 1.2 mill available to spend. FFS.

That's only if the NRL medically retire Snowden, If they don't, it's less than $500k.

Not that the NRL every makes sense, but they retired Watmough for the cheating Eels in about 3 days. It's been months with no movement on Snowden, you'd think they could throw a historically bad team a bone.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I wouldn't be against moving Mullen on given his injury history over the last few years but as far as I'm aware there aren't any off contract play makers at the moment who would make a better replacement. At least our team has some level of competitiveness on the field when he's there. Without him this year we've looked rudderless most of the time.

I'm fine with getting rid of the dead wood and freeing up salary cap space but if there's no replacement for these players then it just sets us back further.

Knight76

Juniors
Maybe the plan is to buy Kostjacyn and play him at 5/8. If we get an injury at Hooker we can move him there and bring in Lamb or Cogger to play a role at 5/8.

I dont even care anymore. I would consider most people that spend their time on internet forums talking about the knights fairly die hard supporters. I cant even imagine how many not so die hard supporters the club has lost over the last few years. Most of us here barely give a toss anymore.

It is getting to the point where a lot of supporters are going to be lost forever.

knightsarmy

Juniors
No one pretends like he's Joey MKII anymore, he's had a disappointing career and most of us agree don't really care if he goes right now. The issue is who replaces him... We won't be able to buy anyone, there isn't anyone on the market apart from Benji (lol), so it's gonna be Lamb and Cogger. Neither are ready for a full season of first grade yet and should be just allowed to play first grade in short bursts. Despite what you will say about Jarrod Mullen, he is the best player we currently have at the club, it's obvious the difference he makes to this side. With him in the team we have shown that we can atleast compete with some of the top sides in the competition. With him not in the team we are absolutely horrendous, I think we've had one decent performance (against Canberra) all year without him. That's not to say that Mullo turns our team from horrendous to good, no, we're still shite with him but a little less shite and actually a hope of scoring some points in games and atleast sticking with the opposition when he's in the team.

So we get rid of him. I won't be slitting my wrists. But we've lost MORE experience to our starting 17, infact our most experienced player, we've replaced him with ANOTHER 20 year old... So it's another spoon, our third in a row and again we'll be lucky to win 3 games all season. Ok. It's fine if you're happy with that I guess. I personally don't know if I could handle it again. I accept that 2017 will be another sh*t year but I don't understand making it worse then it has to be.

TLDR, keep Mullen for another year. If the plan is Lamb and Cogger then throwing them into a full season before they're ready will kill them. With Mullen still at the club he can offer some priceless experience and guidance to them as well. I fancy winning some games and looking like a decent footy side at some point next year and IMO keeping Mullen will help with that. I like that Browny's clearing salary cap but there comes a point where its gone too far. We can't have a team full of 20 year olds, get rid of every single decent experienced player and expect all the young guys to improve.

Most of this I agree with
We are losing too much experience keep Mullo - he tris his heart out sometimes too much but at least he does!!
So we get another spoon next year will Brown keep his job? if not we will be be in the same boat with the next coach
We need to keep senior players .. or we will keep losing our up and comers
Been a supporter since '90 but man not agreeing with all the direction we are going lately

Spot On

Coach
Lots of good points above re Mullo. I've been vocal for a few years about letting our overpaid stars go and I'm not about to yield. Mullo falls into that category. It doesn't matter where he ranks in the playing group, he's not delivering value for money. Let's not forget he's on 500K plus. Brown has little choice here.So if there is a recruitment plan, I'd love to know what it is.

As the above has said though, it does hurt letting go of experienced first graders even though they have underperformed for years and not replacing them with someone better.

Re Snowden - does anyone know why it would be taking soooo long for medical retirement to be signed off on????

Last edited:

Glendale

Juniors
Mullo is actually quite different to the other overpaid-underperformers we've had... Sure he isn't value for money but you could never question his commitment and effort to the cause.

Spot On

Coach
Never doubted his commitment but he's not worth what he has been paid for years and therefore has either been overpaid or he's under performed.

Some will argue he's been inconsistent. That's true. Some will argue he's been a victim of piss poor packs, no go forward, no half to complement him, the wrong half complementing him etc etc etc. Some of that has been true too.

Whatever people want to believe the facts are:

He has obvious talents and strengths. However, he is 30 next year. When did he peak?? Years ago. Poor bloke is now too injury prone to help out too much. He's on too much money. He really isn't going to win you games nor is a marquee player. Where would he rank in the halves across the NRL??? Towards the bottom.

It's a shame. We all wanted more from him. Some carry on about the next Johns bullshit. I never thought or wanted that from him. Just wanted him to be consistent and deliver when the game was in the balance. Too often that has not happened.

I can completely understand why Brown (if it is true) wants to go in a different direction.

Last edited:

Glendale

Juniors
[QUOTE=" I can completely understand why Brown (if it is true) wants to go in a different direction.[/QUOTE]

Yep and so can I. I won't be slitting wrists thats for sure. I just question who his replacement is going to be. If it's Lamb and Cogger then I can't support the decision.

Latest posts