What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

slotmachine

First Grade
Pat will be eligible then as well. He and Chanel both have contracts that run until 2018, may as well use the allowance on their ridiculous deals.

knaus

Juniors
You would think the allowances will increase a bit in 2018 when the new tv deal starts, we just need to make sure plays salaries don't inflate with it.

Nuffy

Bench
I dont think that 2018 will be the recruitment bonanza many think. With the cap going up, clubs will be able to offer upgrades to the players they want to keep and player will stay at the better clubs for less.

Coupled with that, any clubs with sense will be tilling the TPA field making sure they are in the best possible situation to use the totally legal TPA situation to bolster contracts.

perverse

Referee
I dont think that 2018 will be the recruitment bonanza many think. With the cap going up, clubs will be able to offer upgrades to the players they want to keep and player will stay at the better clubs for less.

Coupled with that, any clubs with sense will be tilling the TPA field making sure they are in the best possible situation to use the totally legal TPA situation to bolster contracts.
Totally agree, we'll see the cap increase announced with plenty of notice, clubs will immediately lock up the real talent with all the extra money available, leaving the same dross on the market as any other year. We're at no advantage, and may even be at a distinct disadvantage because every club will have something to play with.

If we're banking on a 2018 gold rush then we're dreaming, and bad at maths.

knaus

Juniors
it wont be a gold rush, but at least we will finally have a bit of space there, especially if snowy and aku move on. Other clubs will lock up their talent by upgrading everyone (+ 3rd parties), you would think that Browny is not about to inflate anyone's contract at this club haha

perverse

Referee
Salary cap space means nothing to us if everyone has some. As Rochow has shown, players will take almost any option away from here.

I think they indicated there was a chance of a deal for 2017 if he went well. He didn't step up so I'd imagine that's completely off the table

Knight76

Juniors
There is some slowly building pressure on TPA's so maybe before 2018 there will be a move from the NRL to level the playing field somewhat in that regard.

Of course, I'm not holding my breath.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Im really stumped at the Kostjacyn hate.

The guy is a solid FGer from a club with a winning culture

We could and have done far far worse

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

My thoughts exactly, although I think the big question mark for most people is where he fits into our squad? Is he a bench utility, a hooker or possibly a starting lock??? I suppose it's not that clear what job he'll be asked to do.

That being said I don't really care what position we put him in at this stage as I think just having a bit more experience on the field will help us massively.

mozza91

Coach

He's an older slightly shitter version of Randell. We're losing a heap of players and signing him, of course people are disappointed. Hodkinson came from a club with a winning culture too. How's that going for us?

perverse

Referee
He's cheaper and more experienced than Randall. I don't feel that he's much worse, if worse at all as far as playing the game goes, either.

Glendale

Juniors
How is he in any way shitter than Randall? How?

The guy is better in every measurable way

I feel like you haven't seen much of Kostjasyn then... He's very very average in attack. His job in the Cowboys team is to be a tackle bot for 30-40 minutes and give Granville a rest so he can come on and tear teams up through the middle.

I feel like Randell has had a good solid season without getting to many wraps for it. He's improved a lot in attack and defence form where he was last year and has out-performed Levi, albeit in less minutes. Our defence fell to shit when he came off last week against the Panthers, that should tell you something. Dummy half was never his preferred position and it was always going to be a slow process to get him to be a competent first grade hooker but I feel he's improving to a competent first grade level and even has the capacity to improve even more. As opposed to Kostjasyn who is never going to get better then what he already is. If Kostjasyn is indeed better, it's not by much and Randell is 6 years younger.

I'd say Brown's decision is based on the fact it would be a salary cap improvement for us. Tyler Randell is on loads of cash and somehow a premiership winning player in his position is worth less (nice job Hages/Stone)... Couple that with the fact Kostjasyn is experienced, comes from a winning culture and actually wants to come to the Knights (silly bloke). So yes, in that regard, it's the correct call to make and I'm happy we're going through with it. If Randell was on 100k like he should be then I'd be totally against this decision.

Just don't expect miracles from Rory. Expect Randell levels of performance, don't get your hopes too high.

Knight76

Juniors
If Kostjacyn is cheaper than Randall then it's a no brainer doing the swap for an overall net gain for similar playing talent. Sure, Randall would be the better option long term but the Knights have to take steps in the short term to fix the salary cap dramas. Which will involve some pain.

They have big wraps on Levi at hooker so grabbing Kostjacyn now for two years will give Levi the chance to develop and take the lead hooker position then.

macavity

Referee
The Randall vs. Kostjaysn argument is only valid if we can ship Randall off without having to chip in to move him.

If we have to pay to get rid of him, there is probably no point.

And skills wise, Randall is better. Kostjaysn is there to tackle. Randall can do that and actually do something with the ball too.

I don't reckon we are going to chip in to move anyone anymore. Mooney made a career of getting others to pay for his squad, not the other way around.