What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
The Randall vs. Kostjaysn argument is only valid if we can ship Randall off without having to chip in to move him.

If we have to pay to get rid of him, there is probably no point.

And skills wise, Randall is better. Kostjaysn is there to tackle. Randall can do that and actually do something with the ball too.

I don't reckon we are going to chip in to move anyone anymore. Mooney made a career of getting others to pay for his squad, not the other way around.
How long do we have Randall for? I still think if Kostjaysn replaces him at parity, there are other benefits that make it worthwhile. I don't rate Randall even slightly, and will be happy to see the back of him.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
How the f#ck is Randell on anything more than 100K per season? Is the club so obsessed with homegrown talent that they will pay massive overs for them so the Herald doesn't give them a hard time? What a joke!!

Burwood

Bench
Look back at the 2015 squad and tell me who was on minimum wage. Nearly every player that you'd think was getting $80,000 is actually on $200,000+.

Newcastle would need to have a salary cap of $9million just to fit 25 players in.

Glendale

Juniors
The Randell one is made even worse by the fact that I don't think any other club would have been seriously after him... Would they? Like seriously, what sort of interest was Tyler Randell creating on the open market? Very little I would have thought... And then we go and sign him to a deal way more then what he's worth. Unbelievable stupidity.

Burwood

Bench
The Randell one is made even worse by the fact that I don't think any other club would have been seriously after him... Would they? Like seriously, what sort of interest was Tyler Randell creating on the open market? Very little I would have thought... And then we go and sign him to a deal way more then what he's worth. Unbelievable stupidity.

That's why other clubs can rebuild their roster and be competitive again after 12 months- the overpaid players that they wish to offload are actually in demand.

Compare that to Newcastle where we are paying rep quality money to fringe first graders. Even when their salary would be 50% subsidised by us, they are still terrible value. So our options are to:
1) keep paying the player until the contract ends or
2) offload the player and be stuck paying the lion's share of their contract for another two or so years.

It takes us years to do what other clubs can do in an offseason. Hell, even clubs that cheat the salary cap by millions of dollars manage to get their cap in order in a matter of months.

Glendale

Juniors
That's why other clubs can rebuild their roster and be competitive again after 12 months- the overpaid players that they wish to offload are actually in demand.

Compare that to Newcastle where we are paying rep quality money to fringe first graders. Even when their salary would be 50% subsidised by us, they are still terrible value. So our options are to:
1) keep paying the player until the contract ends or
2) offload the player and be stuck paying the lion's share of their contract for another two or so years.

It takes us years to do what other clubs can do in an offseason. Hell, even clubs that cheat the salary cap by millions of dollars manage to get their cap in order in a matter of months.

So true. Brown and the club have used Penrith as an example of a club that we can model. That's all well and good, but the overpaid players they had to get rid of were the likes of Lewis, Jennings, Gordon and Coote. At Newcastle we're having a fire sale of guys like Uate, Stockwell and Randell...

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I feel like you haven't seen much of Kostjasyn then... He's very very average in attack. His job in the Cowboys team is to be a tackle bot for 30-40 minutes and give Granville a rest so he can come on and tear teams up through the middle.

I feel like Randell has had a good solid season without getting to many wraps for it. He's improved a lot in attack and defence form where he was last year and has out-performed Levi, albeit in less minutes. Our defence fell to shit when he came off last week against the Panthers, that should tell you something. Dummy half was never his preferred position and it was always going to be a slow process to get him to be a competent first grade hooker but I feel he's improving to a competent first grade level and even has the capacity to improve even more. As opposed to Kostjasyn who is never going to get better then what he already is. If Kostjasyn is indeed better, it's not by much and Randell is 6 years younger.

I'd say Brown's decision is based on the fact it would be a salary cap improvement for us. Tyler Randell is on loads of cash and somehow a premiership winning player in his position is worth less (nice job Hages/Stone)... Couple that with the fact Kostjasyn is experienced, comes from a winning culture and actually wants to come to the Knights (silly bloke). So yes, in that regard, it's the correct call to make and I'm happy we're going through with it. If Randell was on 100k like he should be then I'd be totally against this decision.

Just don't expect miracles from Rory. Expect Randell levels of performance, don't get your hopes too high.
Ive watched plenty mate. I question if you have

This year alone, Kostjacyn has racked up more Line Breaks and Line Break Assists all while making a similar number of tackles and less missed than Randall

So again, he is better than Randall in pretty much every measurable way and in quite a few immeasurable ones. I didnt say he was a superstar either, but he is undoubtedly an improvement

If we get him for the same amount of money we come out ahead.

macavity

Referee
Ive watched plenty mate. I question if you have

This year alone, Kostjacyn has racked up more Line Breaks and Line Break Assists all while making a similar number of tackles and less missed than Randall

So again, he is better than Randall in pretty much every measurable way and in quite a few immeasurable ones. I didnt say he was a superstar either, but he is undoubtedly an improvement

If we get him for the same amount of money we come out ahead.

The team he is playing in surely has nothing to do with it...

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Sure, thats possible

However I dont think it has all that much effect on the stats i mentioned nor what i see with my own eyes

But hey, lets keep shitting on the club recruitment targets regardless

mozza91

Coach
Sure, thats possible

However I dont think it has all that much effect on the stats i mentioned nor what i see with my own eyes

But hey, lets keep shitting on the club recruitment targets regardless
When Sims, Uate, Stockwell, McManus, Snowden and Rochow are all going and someone like Kostjaysn appears to our major target, it's pretty understandable that fans will be unhappy.

Joel-22

Juniors
This. I would argue Vaughan is exactly the type of player this club needs, in the EXACT position the club needs.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors

Both Vaughan and Fensom are exactly what we need. Vaughan is an outstanding forward who can be the leader of our pack. Fensom can take over Smith at lock and tackle all day which is something we badly need

Knight76

Juniors
From that story Tapine is on up to 500k per year. How the hell can a 22 year old with no rep honors command such an asking price. $300k maybe but already up to 500k?

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
From that story Tapine is on up to 500k per year. How the hell can a 22 year old with no rep honors command such an asking price. $300k maybe by already up to 500k?
This was pretty well documented at the start of the season. Presumably TPAs play a role.

Knight76

Juniors
This was pretty well documented at the start of the season. Presumably TPAs play a role.

Well with Tapine earning rep money, at the start of his career, there is no chance were going to sign anyone of note. Our only chance is relying on a junior to produce something special that happens to be super loyal to the Newcastle region.

Otherwise, were going to be paying big money for average talent, screwing the salary cap along the way.

Latest posts