What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
Well with Tapine earning rep money, at the start of his career, there is no chance were going to sign anyone of note. Our only chance is relying on a junior to produce something special that happens to be super loyal to the Newcastle region.

Otherwise, were going to be paying big money for average talent, screwing the salary cap along the way.
Yep, now you're on the same page as many of us. Unless another Joey materializes out of nowhere, it's hard to ascertain how we dig out of this.

I highly doubt that any of our recruiting staff know that Vaughan is on the market and I highly doubt that any of them know what position he plays or how good he is.

Our staff only know how the plodders are going in the Newcastle Rugby League.

You are kidding yourselves if you think the club has the ability to look outside the Newcastle bubble for talent.

perverse

Referee
Mooney is supposedly a sharp operator. He did well at the Sharks. If he is any chops at all, Vaughan will be on the radar.

Mooney is supposedly a sharp operator. He did well at the Sharks. If he is any chops at all, Vaughan will be on the radar.

I don't think Mooney is the talent spotter. I think he's more about putting the offers together to make the most of the cap and any TPAs available.

PhilGould

Bench
Good news if we can move him on but I highly doubt we'll be able to do so without paying at least some of his salary, probably half.

perverse

Referee
Good news if we can move him on but I highly doubt we'll be able to do so without paying at least some of his salary, probably half.
If a few clubs over there are interested, we might get lucky. There might be a subtle genius in Brown keeping Aku in reserve grade in that people might start forgetting how shit he got.

Knight76

Juniors
As much as it would suck, paying half his fee means getting half back on to our available cap spend. I'd rather that then see Aku playing reserves all year for 500k or more.

macavity

Referee
As much as it would suck, paying half his fee means getting half back on to our available cap spend. I'd rather that then see Aku playing reserves all year for 500k or more.

We have drawn a line in the sand and aren't paying freight any more.

The one we will be stuck with is Stockwell - unless Stone (who wants to boof him) wants to take him at Huddersfield.

Knight76

Juniors
We have drawn a line in the sand and aren't paying freight any more.

The one we will be stuck with is Stockwell - unless Stone (who wants to boof him) wants to take him at Huddersfield.

Hey, I'll be happy if we can offload Aku completely. The sooner the better.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
When Sims, Uate, Stockwell, McManus, Snowden and Rochow are all going and someone like Kostjaysn appears to our major target, it's pretty understandable that fans will be unhappy.
I get it mate, we want to hear about big signings to give the next season some hope

This club however is pretty good at keeping recruitment under wraps, for reasons of their own right or wrong. It's frustrating but it's worth baring in mind imo.

I'd be very surprised if Kosty is our only target or the highest profile one

posted this in the game day thread but should be here.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tried-to-shake-things-up-20160820-gqx7od.html

Sims brothers may reunite

Should Newcastle attempt to shed players to ease salary cap pressure expect Cronulla to have a crack at Korbin Sims. Sims is on a lucrative deal, although the Knights have indicated they have no intention of letting him go at this stage.

Newcastle have already released Sims' brother, Tariq, mid-season to St George Illawarra and it wouldn't surprise if the Dragons attempt to reunite them at some stage.

The Knights are hoping to gain approval for an Anthony Watmough-style career-ending insurance payout for injured forward Kade Snowden.

Doesnt seem to be anything in it, but woudnt be at all suprised if Brown was looking at options to offload Kims.

He is underperforming massively and is either injured or just doesnt give a f**k.

Noname36

First Grade
Both Vaughan and Fensom are exactly what we need. Vaughan is an outstanding forward who can be the leader of our pack. Fensom can take over Smith at lock and tackle all day which is something we badly need

Vaughan absolutely, we need some size. Not phased by Fensom though. Severely overrated player. Won't help improve us much.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Vaughan absolutely, we need some size. Not phased by Fensom though. Severely overrated player. Won't help improve us much.

Fensom may not be a star and I always thought it was hilarious whenever Canberra fans started calling for him to play origin but I can't agree that he won't improve us. The man is a tacking machine and considering our teams defence issues especially though the middle third I think fensom would be perfect to help shore up our defense

Noname36

First Grade
I'm not worried about Sims in particular (or anyone in particular really) leaving but this is just ridiculous now. Not sure if our cap problems are even worse than we thought or the NRL want us operating millions and millions below the cap.

Either way it's a f**king joke.

Noname36

First Grade
Fensom may not be a star and I always thought it was hilarious whenever Canberra fans started calling for him to play origin but I can't agree that he won't improve us. The man is a tacking machine and considering our teams defence issues especially though the middle third I think fensom would be perfect to help shore up our defense

There's no doubt he's a decent Hilder like player that could help defensively (although I think individual tackling technique is less our issue - it's not like Jez is a poor defender) but he's also on 500k at the Raiders and can't see him taking a pay cut. My point is while Fensom could help a bit I can't see him helping us enough to warrant 500k+ when we're already under severe cap distress.

Latest posts