What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
We’ve long prioritised winning trophies at the junior level rather than player skill development which is one of the biggest issues. As a consequence of that we’re often investing in the wrong kids because a lot of them look good in winning junior teams but they don’t actually have special skills to make it in FG.

Read a nice story about Best this morning where he attributed his development to Scott Dureau. Talked about how he was playing lock but Scott saw him as an outside back and even played him at fullback for a couple of seasons to help develop his understanding of the game. I don’t imagine we put that much care and effort into every players development. The key is recognising the ones with talent and focus on developing that rather than winning junior trophies.
You want to know what's sad? We were talking about this nearly a decade ago too.

Woody90

Juniors
Can’t post the story as I’m out but Sydney Morning Herald reporting we’re close to re-signing Frizz.

Also sounds like Fitzy had been planning on going over to the UK for a long time.

Jono078

Referee
What are the expectations of Friz re-signing?

What are we happy with?

1-2 year deal?

Club prob offer him 3 years + a player option.

Woody90

Juniors
What are the expectations of Friz re-signing?

What are we happy with?

1-2 year deal?

Club prob offer him 3 years + a player option.

Article suggests the deal talks about plans after football (aka they think we’ve offered him a job after he retires).

So I’d say 2 years playing then transition him would be my guess.

Knight Tales

Bench
Frizz surely taking a big paycut then right?
Given how he has played for us this year, it would be a massive insult if we do offer him less. He is still only 31. And it is only Freddy’s cluelessness as to why he is not in game 3. Cos he should be alongside Murray and Martin. Now that is a back row to terrify anyone.

Yosh

Coach
Given how he has played for us this year, it would be a massive insult if we do offer him less. He is still only 31. And it is only Freddy’s cluelessness as to why he is not in game 3. Cos he should be alongside Murray and Martin. Now that is a back row to terrify anyone.

I think he is on 800k already. If we are setting him up for a job after he retires, I think even a 3 year deal on 500k is ideal and something clubs like the Roosters and Storm would offer.

perverse

Referee
Based on? The bloke has just about been our best fwd all year and an SOO rep
The output during the past few years, and his age. Honestly he didn't let anyone down but I'm not sure why he was picked this year either tbh. NSW don't know if they're living in the past or looking to the future at the moment.

We keep getting hung out to dry by these blokes that have big years on contract years then settle back into their comfort zones.

To be fair to Friz he has been good nearly every year hes been here. Hes not the type of guy to slacken off from the evidence ive seen just because hes signed a new contract

This club is also very short on leaders and Friz is every bit one of those.

Sad fact is we need him more than he needs us

Rod

Bench
The other factor is that whether we like Fitz or not we're already down a starting back-rower.

perverse

Referee
To be fair to Friz he has been good nearly every year hes been here. Hes not the type of guy to slacken off from the evidence ive seen just because hes signed a new contract

This club is also very short on leaders and Friz is every bit one of those.

Sad fact is we need him more than he needs us
I don't think he's been awful for us at any point, but this year is the only year he's come close to earning his paycheque. I don't expect him to get the same pay he's getting now in his next deal. You don't hand out 700k (pre-cap increase/racheting too) to many 31 year olds, and I doubt we will either. Given the deal has taken this long especially, had we offered him the same money he probably would have bit our hand off to accept it.

Woody90

Juniors
Our original offer was for 500k per year over 2 seasons wasn’t it? Will be interesting to see how much that changed, we wouldn’t have been able to go too much over that with our reported cap strife.

Yosh

Coach
500k sounds totally reasonable. Which other club in the NRL would pay 800k for Frizz? Happy to keep him but we can't afford to keep paying overs for every decent player.

Knight Tales

Bench
500k sounds totally reasonable. Which other club in the NRL would pay 800k for Frizz? Happy to keep him but we can't afford to keep paying overs for every decent player.
If he was asking for 500 k every club in this comp would be asking for a sit down with his manager. We probably offered that cos we thought his best days were behind him. He has played a combined total of 30 rep games for his state and country, 16 Origins if I am not mistaken. You have to be respectful and realistic. He has earned the right to ‘overs’

Yosh

Coach
If he was asking for 500 k every club in this comp would be asking for a sit down with his manager. We probably offered that cos we thought his best days were behind him. He has played a combined total of 30 rep games for his state and country, 16 Origins if I am not mistaken. You have to be respectful and realistic. He has earned the right to ‘overs’

I don't get it... So we need to pay him overs because he was a quality player in the past? Shouldn't we pay him what he is worth right now. He isn't a rep player in 2023 and will be farther from it in 2024 and 2025.

If every club is offering him 500k, then that is what we should be offering him, not 150% his market value. We are offering him a job and life after he retires so that should be it. We don't owe him anything. He came when we were in the dumps and if he had managed to lift us out of the dumps then maybe he deserves a little more but we still in the dumps.

I'm a huge Frizzell fan by the way. I am just super sick and tired of us screwing our salary cap every single time a decent player wants overs.

PhilGould

Bench
Knowingly offering overs just to be 'respectful' is a hilarious and insane concept with any player, let alone one who has been bad value for money on his current contract prior to this season (when he happens to be playing for a new contract).

This is the same club that let Barnett walk for free just to be nice blokes about it though so I guess nothing is off the table.

Latest posts