What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Frederick

Staff member
Sione playing for Australia was a farce, and certainly shouldn't count in his favour.

Tim Sheens can be blamed for that. Just like the NSW clowns who picked Mullo at 20 and then sacked him a game later. How does a kid cope with that?

Burwood

Bench
I don't think we can deny some of the playing talent coming through, but something that grabs my attention is the attitude of certain players. If you look back at the VB Cup final and interstate final last year it was apparent that Levi, Tapine and Mamo had a pretty king-shit attitude because they'd each played a handful of NRL games. Even Sione, who is such a humble young guy, had glimpses of it when playing NRL late in the season.

I'm not sure what sort of culture was being created in NSW Cup by Newton and the coaches for those couple of seasons. I remember a quote from Newton in the paper laughing off the suggestion that these young players coming through had an attitude problem, "these are just young blokes learning their way" was the gist of his reply. It seemed like there was nobody to pull their heads in when needed.

Hopefully Brown has the man-management skills needed to prevent this crop of players becoming the next generation of entitled Newcastle Knights.

Yosh

Coach
To be honest I still don't see what the fuss about Mamo is?

Levi and Tapine are two I'd definitely want to keep at the club. Let's start winning some games first and these guys will have much less reason to leave. It is close to impossible to say no to more money from a club who is always higher on the table.

Noname36

First Grade
I rate Tapine over Levi, Sione and Mamo in terms of raw ability. Being a backrower and with minimal game time he just hasn't burst out of the gate as quickly.

Cordner said in interview that he is leaning towards Roosters. Did not write us off but referred to our involvement as rumours at this stage. Had Jenjings not left That might have been our best chance. Brown's first major test as a recruiter has clearly begun.

Swarzey

Bench
This is the same club that's supposedly going to sign SBW when he inevitably returns. Can't f**king stand this shit.

Oh and let us not forget they will chase Hayne as well should he return. Politis has something up his sleeve. Boyd worth a lot of coin today.

Parralike

Juniors
Well, he's big. I can see Pauli Pauli backfiring. Apparently he's lazy, not many tears being shed by Parra supporters. He's young and has potential though.

Tapine leaving first chance he gets wouldn't surprise me. I've seen no heart in the kid thus far. Will chase the money.

I'm sorry to see him go good luck to him at the Knights

slotmachine

First Grade
barry toohey's column had lots of interesting stuff today

we've told cordner's managment we can't afford him
tapines offer at the raiders could be as high as $1.2m over 3 years
the pauli pauli hold up is on the eels side, they don't want to pay any of his current contract

Swarzey

Bench
That's f**king ridiculous. Massive, massive overs for a kid who hasn't played a full season of first grade.

Love the fact we won't match it. A year ago we would have gone all out to retain him.

Noname36

First Grade
Good luck to Tapine and the Raiders if they want to sign him for that on his current level of experience. Although I think he has a lot of potential I'm happy we're not prepared to get into a bidding war with the Raiders over a ridiculous offer like that.

We developed the kid and stood by him during a very difficult time in his life when his actions hurt the club. He said he wants to repay us but if ends up chasing the money instead then so be it - it's way more than he's worth so if his manager has managed to get that offered then well done. if he goes to Canberra I won't be too worried about him coming back and biting us.

I think Brown has done the kid a service to be honest although I don't expect he'll see that when he's got a lot of dollars on the table from Canberra and Joey Leilua no doubt in his ear.

Last edited:

otori

Juniors
I'm not too worried about Cordner being walked away from. We have a reasonably good back row and I rate Rochow Sims and Stockwell fairly highly. He's probably better than all of them but he'd be way more than all of them on the wage bill for such a marginal increase.

Interesting:
NATHAN Brown spent seven years out of the NRL coaching in England.

But the new Newcastle coach could be about to find out that the Rugby League Players Association is no longer the toothless tiger it was before he left.

Brown is staring down the barrel of a showdown with RLPA boss Clint Newton if he comes good on the threat to dump boom young forward Joseph *Tapine to the bench of NSW Cup if he signs with Canberra.

In what’s shaping up as a test case for the growing credibility of the RLPA against the power of an NRL coach, Newton was quick to contact Tapine last Friday after it was revealed in The Daily Telegraph how the 21-year-old was being pressured into re-signing with Newcastle.

The RLPA has vowed to support Tapine to make certain he feels no undue pressure to stay with the Knights, or be penalised if he decides to take up a *lucrative deal with the Raiders.

While both clubs have offered Tapine a three-year term, the Canberra deal is said to be worth considerably more money. Tapine is contracted with the Knights until the end of 2016.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

Jono078

Referee
Get the f**k out of here Clint!

It is Nathan's duty to make sure he puts us in the best position to win a premiership. If that means promoting players who are signed with us over the next few years rather than one about to jump ship, then that's the way it is.

Spot On

Coach
Gee, Browny would be shitting in his pants.:roll:

If the RLPA want to have a say in NRL team selections I suggest their 7 staff go and get a coaching gig.

Lol. So basically they are saying we can't pressure him to stay with the club by any other means other than to offer him more money. As if the Rlpa actually have any sort of power anyway, even if they do, they can't stop the Knights from dropping tapine next season.

PhilGould

Bench
Does Newton do this if a young fringe firstgrader at any other club gets told the same thing? I doubt it. Not like there's anything they can do about this anyway lol

Latest posts