What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Id say we will lose rochow to someone like manly but keep tariq. Id rather that and sign a quality back or 2. Our forwards have a lot of room to move as far as potential goes, our depth in our backs and lack of quality is what needs to be addressed.

macavity

Referee
When slamming or praising our admin for signing/letting go etc, keep in the front of your mind that we are playing in a market where the prices are set by clubs spending MILLIONS more on their top 25 than we are. If Lachlan Coote is valued at $600k by another club, if we want him we are paying that. Same as the values placed on Tariq, Rochow, etc. If Manly can arrange a TPA to give Rochow total remuneration of $500k, that is what we are up for, and it all goes on our cap.

The most notable effect of this is a complete lack of depth. The second most notable effect is that every player we want to keep, irrespective of whether they have been good value to us, gets an upgrade - because average salaries across the comp are now higher, just unevenly across the clubs.

We are damned no matter what until something drastic changes.

When slamming or praising our admin for signing/letting go etc, keep in the front of your mind that we are playing in a market where the prices are set by clubs spending MILLIONS more on their top 25 than we are. If Lachlan Coote is valued at $600k by another club, if we want him we are paying that. Same as the values placed on Tariq, Rochow, etc. If Manly can arrange a TPA to give Rochow total remuneration of $500k, that is what we are up for, and it all goes on our cap.

The most notable effect of this is a complete lack of depth. The second most notable effect is that every player we want to keep, irrespective of whether they have been good value to us, gets an upgrade - because average salaries across the comp are now higher, just unevenly across the clubs.

We are damned no matter what until something drastic changes.

Yeah but manly cant arrange third party deals according to the rules ;)

Spot On

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...of-thirdparty-agreements-20150712-giaex4.html

By Roy Masters - great read by a very good journalist

At one very successful club, the TPA arrangement works like this – the club CEO, the football manager and the player's agent sit down together and negotiate the amounts of money which will appear on the player's contract.
These are the monies, such as club payments and marquee player allowance, which will be registered with the NRL.
The club CEO then leaves the room and the player's agent and the football manager negotiate the TPA.
If a TPA is likely to raise suspicions with the NRL salary cap officer, it will not be registered and the money will be paid as a separate arrangement with the player.
For example, a prominent business sponsoring a player ranked last in a club's top 25 players would attract the attention of the NRL, who would reasonably ask: why is the company not sponsoring a high-profile player to promote its business?
There is no limit to the monetary total of registered TPAs because the NRL quite reasonably does not want to restrict the flow of funds from outside its normal sources of revenue – broadcasting fees, naming rights sponsorships, gate takings and club memberships.
However, salary cap space is very tight and a club may see promise in its 25th-ranked player but be unable to make a competitive payment to retain him. Far better to approach a benevolent supporter of the club who doesn't need business exposure and has a spare $50,000.
However, because the "shadow market" is clandestine and its size moves with the amount of heat generated by the player managers, clubs are always in the dark, so to speak.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...agreements-20150712-giaex4.html#ixzz42Ucjck4U
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Last edited:

League_God

Juniors
I'll be sad to see Aku go

I'm probably in the minority here but it will hurt. I've followed the guy's career since he was 16 years old, saw him play for Woy Woy against Umina in the GF.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Would anyone else want Peter Mata'utia back at the Knights. I know the Mata'utia's cop it from some Knights fans but people forget there all relatively young (Sione is turning 20 for christ sake). Peter can play all FB, wing and centre and would slot right into first grade. I doubt the Dragons would put up a huge fight to keep him or that he would be to expensive.

Jono078

Referee
Yep, he's done well the past couple of seasons and looks like a solid first grader now.

Kev Naiqama is one that I miss. I always thought he could do well at centre, like Michael Jennings and he has shown it so far this year.

League_God

Juniors
for 2017 we desperately need a fullback

1.Corey Norman
2.Chanel Matautia
3.Dane Gagai
4.Sione Matautia
5.Jake Mamo
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Trent Hodkinson
8.Micky Paea
9.Danny Levi
10.James Tamou
11.Jacob Saifiti
12.Tariq Sims
13.Korbin Sims

14.Daniel Saifiti
15.Pauli Pauli
16.Sam Mataora
17.Jack Stockwell

If we manage to piss off snowden & aku along with not resigning Rochow, McManus, Smith etc.
We should be able to afford Norman & Tamou. The addition of Tamou to that pack makes it look fierce as f**k.

PhilGould

Bench
I would rather Coote than Norman. Our only hope of making any big signings is Snowden retiring or Uate getting a massive offer from Japanese Union. And even then, I'd say a fair bit of the freed up money would be used to upgrade and extend our younger players deals'.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Norman is a 5/8 and I'm pretty sure he's gone on record as never wanting to play fullback. It was the whole reason he left Brisbane

LG, put the crack pipe down

Lachlan Coote over Norman any day of the week and twice on Sundays. TBH it is Coote over Tedesco for me for Origin Fullback. He is proper tough Coote. Add the fact he can read JT in attack, given he is a big part of JT's game at the Cows, it is a no brainer for Daley. I will be absolutely over the moon if we sign Coote. Completes the spine with Levi clearly a talent of the future.

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Playing with someone =/= he can read their attack

Tedesco is the inform NSW fullback. Im not saying Coote would be bad, he would be excellent, but Teddy is the man imo.

Would love Coote here next year. As you say, he would really complete our spine

Latest posts