What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Gravy

Juniors
Where will Brown rank in the list of all time Knights coaches by the end of his tenure here?

I never thought any coach would do more for the club than Mal Reilly, but I think Brown could be fast approaching

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
It’s obvious brown has down a tremendous job rebuilding this club. Now we will get a chance to see how good he is as a coach with a good team behind him. His record in the super league was good so I see no reason why he’s not going to do well now we have a top 8 team.

K-Man

Bench
It’s obvious brown has down a tremendous job rebuilding this club. Now we will get a chance to see how good he is as a coach with a good team behind him. His record in the super league was good so I see no reason why he’s not going to do well now we have a top 8 team.

The only concern I have (because let's face it, these are exciting times!) is how quickly everyone has jumped on the 'Knights are a top 8 team' bandwagon. Yes, the roster has improved immensely, but turnarounds are not always that simple. We are the reigning wooden spooners for a reason, and more than half our top 17 will be new. Our draw isn't great either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped. Can we make the top 8? Of course we can. Will we? Different story. What I am confident about is being nowhere near the bottom of the ladder, and that's a great start.

But if we all just assume that making the finals is now a given, then nobody will be too impressed if we actually do it. Well, I will be super impressed. I still think we have a big job to do to get ourselves from 16th to 10th, and anything above that is a bonus. If Browny gets us playing finals football, I will be calling it an outstanding achievement, but I get the feeling for some he will have massively failed if we finish 9th. To me that seems an unfair expectation at this point. Let's see how the side gels first.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Considering Brown has basically been coaching a reserve grade standard team for the last 2 years he has done about as well as we could have expected him to. Now that he's got a decent first grade squad available to him I think we'll get to see his true coaching ability on show. I'm glad the club is looking to re-sign him because he deserves to stay on and reap the rewards after doing all the dirty work over the last couple of seasons.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The only concern I have (because let's face it, these are exciting times!) is how quickly everyone has jumped on the 'Knights are a top 8 team' bandwagon. Yes, the roster has improved immensely, but turnarounds are not always that simple. We are the reigning wooden spooners for a reason, and more than half our top 17 will be new. Our draw isn't great either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped. Can we make the top 8? Of course we can. Will we? Different story. What I am confident about is being nowhere near the bottom of the ladder, and that's a great start.

But if we all just assume that making the finals is now a given, then nobody will be too impressed if we actually do it. Well, I will be super impressed. I still think we have a big job to do to get ourselves from 16th to 10th, and anything above that is a bonus. If Browny gets us playing finals football, I will be calling it an outstanding achievement, but I get the feeling for some he will have massively failed if we finish 9th. To me that seems an unfair expectation at this point. Let's see how the side gels first.

100% agree with this, playing finals in 2018 would be a massive bonus really. Getting up off the bottom of the ladder should be the first priority, and to be fair to Brown we've been dealt a terrible draw with all those away games to start the season so I'm prepared to cut him some slack in the first couple of months if we don't start that strongly, also we have a completely new spine who hasn't played with each other before so there's going to be a teething period while these guys are learning each other's games.

But fingers crossed we win a couple of those away games early on and keep a decent home record and then we can make a surge up the ladder later in the season.

Joel-22

Juniors

Good post.

The way opposition forwards would just roll straight through the middle of last year is still giving me nightmares.
That needs to change if we're going to make the 8.

Also, not to put pressure on the kid but a lot rests on how Ponga goes.... It will be his first year of first grade. A scenario many haven't mentioned is Ponga not coping at fullback and the team shifting to;

1.Connor Watson
2.Kalyn Ponga
3.Shaun Kenny Dowell
4.Tautau Moga
5.Nathan Ross
6.Brock Lamb
7.Mitchell Pearce

it could happen, he might not be ready for a full nrl season in a key position

Alex28

Coach
Where will Brown rank in the list of all time Knights coaches by the end of his tenure here?

I never thought any coach would do more for the club than Mal Reilly, but I think Brown could be fast approaching
Browny has done a great job and will go down as one of the best coaches we have had, but he needs a premiership to get past Mal...

Old dog

Bench
Have similar thoughts on Ponga, new, inexperienced, young, expectations, is a lot to carry, I sincerely hope he handles it for both his sake and the team, no doubt he is a quality player and if not immediate he will make it.
Also agree that too many are expecting instant success, top 8, nice to think it will happen but prefer thinking 9-12 with an outside chance at making 8. It's hard not to be exited after a terrible 3 years but it might take 3 more years to achieve semi final regular.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

If he stays on current course, id put him at no.2 after Mal....

If he can snag a Premiership along the way, he might just leapfrog the old Pom.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Good post.

The way opposition forwards would just roll straight through the middle of last year is still giving me nightmares.
That needs to change if we're going to make the 8.

Also, not to put pressure on the kid but a lot rests on how Ponga goes.... It will be his first year of first grade. A scenario many haven't mentioned is Ponga not coping at fullback and the team shifting to;

1.Connor Watson
2.Kalyn Ponga
3.Shaun Kenny Dowell
4.Tautau Moga
5.Nathan Ross
6.Brock Lamb
7.Mitchell Pearce

it could happen, he might not be ready for a full nrl season in a key position
Going by what I've heard Bedsy and Matty Johns say about the pre-season we shouldnt have any concerns about Ponga- the kids a freak.

Yosh

Coach
I think Ponga needs to play fullback from the go. We're not in the hunt for a premiership this season and having him there a whole season, mistakes and all, will make him a much better player the season after, where hopefully we'll be in the premiership discussion.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
On the subject of Jack Cogger, we should keep him here for the last year of his contract. We literally have no reason to let him go given that we're not trying to clear cap space, why not use him as a bargaining chip and try and get a trade out of the Bulldogs for a centre.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Mitchell Pearce's signing sends Newcastle Knights fans into a frenzy
Mitchell Pearce's arrival has Newcastle steaming towards setting a new membership record. The Knights' decision to sign the NSW Origin playmaker to a four-year, $4million NRL deal has proven a financial boon for the club with fans knocking down the door to secure tickets.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...ights-fans-into-a-frenzy-20171214-h04y0t.html

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Mitchell Pearce's signing sends Newcastle Knights fans into a frenzy
Mitchell Pearce's arrival has Newcastle steaming towards setting a new membership record. The Knights' decision to sign the NSW Origin playmaker to a four-year, $4million NRL deal has proven a financial boon for the club with fans knocking down the door to secure tickets.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...ights-fans-into-a-frenzy-20171214-h04y0t.html

Probably not for a while yet, but I reckon we will be the first club to sell out a full season of tickets before the first kickoff.

Once we do that, and fans realise the NEED to get in early, we woule be looking at sellouts every game of the year regardless of form

Lynoman

Bench
Probably not for a while yet, but I reckon we will be the first club to sell out a full season of tickets before the first kickoff.

Once we do that, and fans realise the NEED to get in early, we woule be looking at sellouts every game of the year regardless of form

Imagine if 9 had that as the opening FTA friday game, instead of they shit they will have......

Burns

First Grade
You can’t buy tickets yet to any NRL match. We have only 10,000ish members. So Gardeners claim that the first match is close to a sell out is false.

Latest posts