What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Woosh

Head Moderator
Looks like we end up with another undersized plodder in Glasby.

Comes from a good system and is an Origin rep.

Why not Jason Clark from Souths if we looking at Glasby.
He’s been told to look elsewhere
He would be way cheaper, better leg drive and has an offload.

macavity

Referee
Comes from a good system and is an Origin rep.

Why not Jason Clark from Souths if we looking at Glasby.
He’s been told to look elsewhere
He would be way cheaper, better leg drive and has an offload.

I expect someone from the dogs to get the tap on the shoulder. Wouldn’t be surprised if JWH is moved on also.

Someone will become available and not many clubs have big money to spend (Roosters apparently ).

For now I would throw overs at TPJ just to make it interesting, and make sure we land Ah Mau.

Clark is more of the same - undersized.

Woosh

Head Moderator
I expect someone from the dogs to get the tap on the shoulder. Wouldn’t be surprised if JWH is moved on also.

Someone will become available and not many clubs have big money to spend (Roosters apparently ).

For now I would throw overs at TPJ just to make it interesting, and make sure we land Ah Mau.

I didn’t say throw a lot of coin at Clark but surely if we looking at Glasby why not get Clark instead for half the price.

Glasby (8 Games)
AVG running meters 75.6m
Offloads 3
Tackle Efficiency 90.10%

Clark (6 Games)
AVG running meters 66.5m
Offloads 9
Tackle Efficiency 92.0%

Don’t forget Clark gets way more less minutes too.

Woosh

Head Moderator

I didn’t say throw a lot of coin at Clark but surely if we looking at Glasby why not get Clark instead for half the price.

Glasby (8 Games)
AVG running meters 75.6m
Offloads 3
Tackle Efficiency 90.10%

Clark (6 Games)
AVG running meters 66.5m
Offloads 9
Tackle Efficiency 92.0%

macavity

Referee

Glasby (8 Games)
AVG running meters 75.6m
Offloads 3
Tackle Efficiency 90.10%

Clark (6 Games)
AVG running meters 66.5m
Offloads 9
Tackle Efficiency 92.0%

Would prefer neither.

Spot On

Coach
For every Clark or Glasby you may recruit you need to compliment them with a top liner. An out and out aggressive, metre eating enforcer that can provide intimidation with and without the ball. A big body that hits the line hard, bends it and is not dominated in the tackle and has the ability to offload or pass when needed. Then, without the ball, can hit hard a make many dominant tackles and pump out decent minutes of quality footy.

Happy to have a Glasby or Clark as a bench prop but that's all they can be if we want a decent pack for the superstar fullback to play behind.

Justin Hodges' words will haunt us till we get a decent prop rotation to really compete with the better sides up front.

We have 2 giant props that have the size but do not yet seemingly have the agression, leg speed or sting in defence to dominate any opposition. They seem slow especially when moving laterally, don't offload, have little footwork at the line (if any) and don't pass. Dan puts on the occassional decent hit in d but for their size they are pretty ineffective at physically dominating opposition ball carriers.

Last edited:

Woosh

Head Moderator
For every Clark or Glasby you may recruit you need to compliment them with a top liner. An out and out aggressive, metre eating enforcer that can provide intimidation with and without the ball. A big body that hits the line hard, bends it and is not dominated in the tackle and has the ability to offload or pass when needed. Then, without the ball, can hit hard a make many dominant tackles and pump out decent minutes of quality footy.

Happy to have a Glasby or Clark as a bench prop but that's all they can be if we want a decent pack for the superstar fullback to play behind.

Justin Hodges' words will haunt us till we get a decent prop rotation to really compete with the better sides up front.

We have 2 giant props that have the size but do not yet seemingly have the agression, leg speed or sting in defence to dominate any opposition. They seem slow especially when moving laterally, don't offload, have little footwork at the line (if any) and don't pass. Dan puts on the occassional decent hit in d but for their size they are pretty ineffective at physically dominating opposition ball carriers.

Even though he’s a edge forward.. Brown should take a punt on Fifita from the Broncos.
He’s the next young gun waiting for his callup.
Think Ben Te’o.

Noname36

First Grade
We should make a massive play for TPJ. Worst case scenario we might force the Broncos into paying overs and further f**king up their already messed up cap.

No more plays for young players with potential but no substantial FG experience please. We need some leaders/sure bets.

We should make a massive play for TPJ. Worst case scenario we might force the Broncos into paying overs and further f**king up their already messed up cap.

No more plays for young players with potential but no substantial FG experience please. We need some leaders/sure bets.

If we followed that idea we wouldn't have got Ponga..

Noname36

First Grade
If we followed that idea we wouldn't have got Ponga..

?

What I’m saying is that we need some established first graders in the pack. Young kids with potential are great if you get the right ones but you need to balance them out with some signings that you know can produce in first grade.

Nothing to do with Ponga or any of the other kids we’ve been signing. But you need a balance. Especially in the forwards where there’s a much higher risk of them not transitioning well. Classy backs never seem to have that problem so they’re much lower risk.

We need to get some blokes into the squad that will help us go to the next level now. Props don’t even hit their peak until 24-25. We need some that are established now. I don’t want to keep making signings that “might” help us go to the next level in 3 years time if they kick on and establish themselves as being able to hold their own/dominate.

Yosh

Coach
Is there a chance that we are targeting smaller forwards because our management still expects the Saifiti twins to become like the Burgess twins? So in their minds we already have two big big boppers and need to fill out the roster with smaller, fitter more mobile forwards??

As much as I like the Saifiti bros, they seem to hit the line and stop... They need to work on their legs drive and aggression if they are to improve. Built like a truck but hits like a Kia.

macavity

Referee

Don’t agree. You should always pay for what you think they will do for you, not what they did in the past. First rule of recruiting.

We got it right with Ponga.

We apparently already have Glasby to be the “professional”. Now we need skill.

Noname36

First Grade
Don’t agree. You should always pay for what you think they will do for you, not what they did in the past. First rule of recruiting.

We got it right with Ponga.

We apparently already have Glasby to be the “professional”. Now we need skill.

Don’t agree. We’ve done great with Ponga and if any more blokes with potential can come up I’d be all for signing them (like we did Ramien) - but only if it doesn’t cost us going hard for blokes that are dominating for their clubs now (TPJ, Tapau, etc). Defiently don’t want blokes getting close to retirement, Bennett’s massive mistake here, but I’d be throwing everything we have at the likes of TPJ and Ah Mau rather than kids that might reach their level one day.

We’ve done great with those types of potential signings, especially Ponga and Ramien but our priority needs to be on blokes that are going to dominate...and young U20s forwards just don’t dominate consistently (unless they’re SBW). People seem to be forgetting that it’s a massive difference for young forwards and young backs finding their feet in FG.

We need to spend money on blokes that will help our pack now or what’s the point of even having someone like Ponga if he’s stuck behind a pack that might not be able to dominate until he’s near the end of his contract anyway.

For the record I agree with your point re Glasby. My comment was more directed at the call that we should be making plays for kids sitting in the Broncos u20s, etc. We’ve made some good calls with those type of signings but now we need to throw money into signings that will help us go to the next level now (a TPJ, Ah Mau, Tapau, etc).

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
We would be paying TPJ, Ah Mau (and need to have a massive run at Klemmer and/or Tapau) based on what they would do for us.

I guess I wasn’t disagreeing with you, just clarifying we should limit our search to blokes we think will massively add to our team and have tread left on the tyres, not guys who will be a marginal improvement (like Glasby) or are at the end (Greg Bird??)

Noname36

First Grade
We would be paying TPJ, Ah Mau (and need to have a massive run at Klemmer and/or Tapau) based on what they would do for us.

Yeah exactly. We know what we would be getting because we already know they can dominate in the NRL. Spending the majority of our money on Ponga like potential signings instead is what I don’t agree with because 1) not everyone is Ponga so we can’t expect them all to come in and be a star like him so he’s not a great example, and 2) it’s much more risky banking on young forwards to do what you need. The classy backs all seem to be able to show their potential in the top grade but the forwards are pretty hit and miss. It’s a huge step up for them.

Klemmer is another one I’d be having a run at too.

If we have 1 mill left in the cap, Lilyman and Heighington are retiring and I expect Sione will have a pay cut...that’s enough for two marquee props and a toiler (Glasby I assume). I know we were talking about another centre but I think we’re covered with what we have and honestly we could have the best centre in the game but he’s not going to be able to do anything unless we fix the prop situation.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Yeah, we should be going hard for TPJ and Klemmer. We need size and aggression. Klemmer is open to offers apparently.

The two I’d be chasing first too. We might not be much chance but both clubs have severe cap issues...even accounting for the fact that they really don’t play within it.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
Not going to happen but I can dream:

1.Kalyn Ponga
2.Nathan Ross
3.Jesse Ramien
4.Tautau Moga
5.Shaun Kenny Dowell
6.Connor Watson
7.Mitchell Pearce
8.David Klemmer
9.Slade Griffin
10.Martin Taupau
11.Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12.Aiden Guerra
13.Herman Ese'ese

14.Danny Levi
15.Tevita Pangai Junior
16.Daniel Saifiti
17.Leeson Ah Mau

I'd probably suck somebody's dick just to see that side run out in knights' colours

Latest posts