What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Apparently Lyon may be released by Manly. I would take him even though he's old. Guy is still a weapon

He would be good for a 2 year contract thats for sure. Lyon is a guy that is a consistent performer. You usually know what you are going to get every game with him.

Joel-22

Juniors
I'd be absolutely ecstatic if we signed Lewis. Exactly what we need. How could anyone possibly prefer Rochow over Lewis?

The way Smith is playing, I'd be happy to give him another year.

8.Sam Mataora
9.Danny Levi
10.Korbin Sims
11.Luke Lewis
12.Tariq Sims
13.Jeremy Smith

14.Pauli Pauli
15.Jack Stockwell
16.Jacob Saifiti
17.Daniel Saifiti

perverse

Referee
Sam Mataora 2016
149 Tackles
1 Missed

Crazy...

Those numbers are pretty unreal. He's been great for us this year, regardless of what other teams supporters might think of him. He's definitely reinventing himself. So much fitter, and more mobile too. It would be nice to have a better prop to pair him with, but I'm not unhappy with him as a starter at the moment. Brown is dishing out opportunities left, right and centre... and it's good to see a few blokes here and there taking the offer up.

Also, as much as I rate Lyon probably the best NRL centre over the past decade or so... or right up there... I reckon he's sliding down the hill a lot quicker than Lewis and would probably pass on that one.

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Sam Mataora 2016
149 Tackles
1 Missed

Crazy...
I knew his tackles % would be impressive but that is pretty ridiculous. I've been watching him pretty closely and he really is an excellent defender. Hits hard and sticks. Even last year when overweight, I thought it was a strength of his then as well.

Last edited:
I think there are a number of players who are going to see us in a different light soon. Brown's efforts are starting bear fruit even if only at a very early stage. He is a coach who rewards form. That has to be a very attractive quality to good players who may feel aggrieved by lazier players getting picked based on their salary. Exactly where Stone got it terribly wrong.

Rod

Bench
Lewis was really good last weekend against the Tigers, one of those forwards who's always trying to break the line through hitting holes or hitting and spinning instead of just running up to the line waiting to be tackled. Has an offload as well.

Downside is he's getting older and has been a bit injury prone anyway but as Smith has shown age isn't everything. As always it comes down to the fact that as long as we're not throwing stupid money at him (which we probably aren't even able to do at the moment) I would be for it.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
He would be good for a 2 year contract thats for sure. Lyon is a guy that is a consistent performer. You usually know what you are going to get every game with him.

Hes slowing down but like Maddog, he is excellent at setting up his outside man and is a very good outside defender

Id have him on our right edge in a heartbeat

Spot On

Coach
Well that makes his contract negotiations a bit difficult seeing he was going to let his form do the talking. How long does he decide to put them off for now?

Well that makes his contract negotiations a bit difficult seeing he was going to let his form do the talking. How long does he decide to put them off for now?

Last I heard was a meeting next week. He must have made progress and can;t see his arm changing anything.

perverse

Referee
I daresay he already has offers on the table from one or more of the clubs he's been negotiating with. Honestly, I'm not going to miss the guy. It was a good news story bringing him home to Newcastle... but if he wants to earn more money at his job, like 95% of the rest of us, then I doubt it's going to be here.

I rate him as one of those guys you want in your squad, he's not a bad player... but he's only going to help us long term if he's willing to stay for money we can afford. If not, that's cool, later mate.

Honestly, even with 3rd party agreements taken into consideration, I feel like player wages are getting way out of control at the moment. Some of the numbers bandied about for bloody average players are ridiculous. Gillett asking for $700k... whilst a good player, it feels like taking the piss big time to me. One of many examples over the past few years.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
I daresay he already has offers on the table from one or more of the clubs he's been negotiating with. Honestly, I'm not going to miss the guy. It was a good news story bringing him home to Newcastle... but if he wants to earn more money at his job, like 95% of the rest of us, then I doubt it's going to be here.

I rate him as one of those guys you want in your squad, he's not a bad player... but he's only going to help us long term if he's willing to stay for money we can afford. If not, that's cool, later mate.

Honestly, even with 3rd party agreements taken into consideration, I feel like player wages are getting way out of control at the moment. Some of the numbers bandied about for bloody average players are ridiculous. Gillett asking for $700k... whilst a good player, it feels like taking the piss big time to me. One of many examples over the past few years.

With TPAs, player salaries are stratifying - the players in demand are now getting 5-700, while those at the bottom haven't changed too much.

The teams that do well are those with 6+ players on 5-700k. You can do that with 2mil in TPAs.

Spot On

Coach
Last I heard was a meeting next week. He must have made progress and can;t see his arm changing anything.

His manager was quoted saying he'll go back to Newcastle to do the right thing, see where they're at and see what their plans are.

Hopefully the plan from the club is to tell Robbie his form does not warrant an increased offer. He aint a rep player and has had a lot of injuries. No change.

Last edited:

Latest posts