What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
Yeah, I could imagine this happening at some stage:

2. C. Mata'utia
3. S. Mata'utia
4. Pete Mata'utia

17. Pat Mata'utia

I remember roopy used to tell us something close to this would happen one day.

The TPA meeting with potential investors discussed in the Dillon and Masters articles has me both half optimistic and yet bemused. Is that not the club or NRL seeking TPAs? Is that not contrary to Salary cap rules. It is so confusing the whole TPA thing. Might be time for the NRL to crack down and limit how many available cos it had inflated the market beyond belief. 800 k for Norman! That is so beyond a reasonable request given he has not played Origin or for his nation as far as I know.

The TPA meeting with potential investors discussed in the Dillon and Masters articles has me both half optimistic and yet bemused. Is that not the club or NRL seeking TPAs? Is that not contrary to Salary cap rules. It is so confusing the whole TPA thing. Might be time for the NRL to crack down and limit how many available cos it had inflated the market beyond belief. 800 k for Norman! That is so beyond a reasonable request given he has not played Origin or for his nation as far as I know.

Isnt there a small amount of TPP that the club can arrange?

slotmachine

First Grade
$600k under marquee player allowance. It's basically an extension of the salary cap though, so much so that there is talk it will be scrapped and amalgamated into the cap.

Joel-22

Juniors
Yeah, I could imagine this happening at some stage:

2. C. Mata'utia
3. S. Mata'utia
4. Pete Mata'utia

17. Pat Mata'utia

I remember roopy used to tell us something close to this would happen one day.

I might be alone in admitting this but I think that setup has potential

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
To be fair to Pat he's pretty tough and seems to have a good tackling technique but he's just too slow to play in the outside backs, if he reinvents himself as a second rower that wouldn't be so bad especially if we have injuries we need to cover.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
$600k under marquee player allowance. It's basically an extension of the salary cap though, so much so that there is talk it will be scrapped and amalgamated into the cap.

I might be jumping back to a discredited idea (i know there have been many TPA discussions i have only skimmed though)...

I was under the impression clubs could organise TPAs (or at least introduce players to businessman) as long as the deal is not assured by the club (if the deal falls through the club cannot promise to makeup the shortfall) and the deal cannot specify appearing for a given club (though this may be implicit).

Its why i was a bit disappointed when Tinkler became owner, when he could have stayed legally removed, helped with TPAs had had a covert role on the board (placing his minions to vote at his will)

Swarzey

Bench
So, with Snowden to retire and likely we shed one of Rochow or Tariq, Smith set to retire and Uate surely on the thinnest sheet of ice it's basically invisible, we could have a fair amount of cash. Perhaps outside of furthering the contracts of the Saifiti twins, we can really hit the market and lure players to the club. To throw up a decent name to discuss; Valentine Holmes?

Two of our many problems is fullback and wing. He's a player who wants to play fullback, by all reports still isn't too happy about playing on the wing and we need a decent fullback. Personally I don't think he's been given ample time to develop into the role and with the Sharks either just outside or possibly in their premiership window, they don't want his development to hold them back. We're the complete opposite. If there's any club who has the time to give Holmes enough to develop into a fullback, it's us. And if it doesn't work out, if he feels it isn't his role, then we have a perfectly good winger and possibly centre. He wouldn't be cheap but the reward is certainly worth the risk.

Just an idea.

Could do a lot worse than Holmes. He is already earmarked as a future origin player being selected in the emerging origin squad.

Adding to the list of players leaving to free up cash; at some point macmanus will retire, so there is his money and i wouldnt rule out Mullen being shopped around. He would dominate in the UK and command big $$ whilst still being able to play within his comfort zone. It probably wont happen but i wouldnt rule it out.

Best case scenario we could potentially have over $2m in free space, worst case we are looking at around $700k free space.

That would be some turnaround! 2 million in the cap and a new owner with potential for TPAs. Player managers would be melting the phone line with calls.

slotmachine

First Grade
McManus money already spoken for.

Snowdens money is a nice surprise but if tapine signing was going to put us over the cap in 2017 there is no way there will be $2m free. I think you will see the Saifiti's get upgraded. I also read tariq is getting an upgrade and extended. Perhaps a few more no frills type signings.

2018 will see some more serious recruitment.

Yeah $2m is unlikely, but possible if the planets align

Snowden $400k
Uate $500k
Mullen $450k
Rochow $300k/ Tims $500-600k

Obviously would need Uate and Mullen to be moved on.

Anyone know when Tyrone Roberts', BJ Leilua and Tapine's salary that we are paying, ceases? There is probably what? 400k tied in there if we are paying half of their wage.

Spot On

Coach
Whatever happens, pay blokes only what they are worth, I understand some overs may have to be paid, give them short deals and if they don't perform, move them on.

Cross fingers that some significant TPA $$$$ are found so Brown can build a very strong squad and keep any juniors he deems worthy.

Spot On

Coach
McManus money already spoken for.

Snowdens money is a nice surprise but if tapine signing was going to put us over the cap in 2017 there is no way there will be $2m free. I think you will see the Saifiti's get upgraded. I also read tariq is getting an upgrade and extended. Perhaps a few more no frills type signings.

2018 will see some more serious recruitment.

Just why, with his performances thus far and time spent warming a seat in the stands, would Tariq require an upgrade?

Rumours are generally BS in league but the word out of the Titans is Bird has fallen out over giving advice to a young kid to delay re-signing and push his dollar value up. Big deal ! So if Bird is available do we sign him to finish his career and maybe Rochow stays for less? Just a thought. Robbie has the ability to be a rep player. However he seems to need a big push there. Maybe Bird is that bloke.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Yeah $2m is unlikely, but possible if the planets align

Snowden $400k
Uate $500k
Mullen $450k
Rochow $300k/ Tims $500-600k

Obviously would need Uate and Mullen to be moved on.

Anyone know when Tyrone Roberts', BJ Leilua and Tapine's salary that we are paying, ceases? There is probably what? 400k tied in there if we are paying half of their wage.

We're not paying anything for BJ or tapine. Pretty sure we're still paying for Roberts next year too.

Just why, with his performances thus far and time spent warming a seat in the stands, would Tariq require an upgrade?

NFI. He should be paying us to play at the moment.

Latest posts