What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Caped Crusader

Juniors
If he was as good as the 'monumental talents' he'd be earning their income. He'd be playing in their positions in rep teams. He aint so he's not. I think there's a few 5/8 in front of him at this stage.

You could use your theory for lots of players. The facts are, the very top players in the comp are earning the dollars he's after. There are some players though who are on huge dollars that in hindsight should not be. I wouldn't want this club paying rep dollars for a bloke that isn't going to be playing rep footy in the position he plays. I would think he'd have to put a few seasons of top performances together to be banging on that door.

Even at 600 to 650K he's earning very good money for the resume he has so far and the potential he is showing.

As for Widdop, he surely aint on too much. I read 500 - 550K which is what we are paying Mullo so I agree Norman should feel he's entitled to a bit more than those two. 300K more though????

Which is pretty much my point. Saying someone is worth/not worth x mount of money because they are/aren't a "rep player" is silly

Players should be paid what they are worth to the team bidding for them. Id say right now hes probably worth $800k to Parra but not that much to us

Spot On

Coach
Sorry I don't agree. I don't think he's worth 800K full stop until he is playing rep footy consistently. If he was one of the top players in the game then he'd command 800K from almost any team. That's ridiculous money atm for him and Parra would be dog shit stupid to pay it after the mess they have created the past 5 years. Surely they will have learnt something from it?

macavity

Referee
Sorry I don't agree. I don't think he's worth 800K full stop until he is playing rep footy consistently. If he was one of the top players in the game then he'd command 800K from almost any team. That's ridiculous money atm for him and Parra would be dog shit stupid to pay it after the mess they have created the past 5 years. Surely they will have learnt something from it?

Salaries mean nothing in the age of unlimited TPAs as there is no opportunity cost for the clubs with access to them. $800k to them is nothing.

Spot On

Coach
Salaries mean nothing in the age of unlimited TPAs as there is no opportunity cost for the clubs with access to them. $800k to them is nothing.

It's just been announced that Parra will "most probably" lose 8 points Mac. TPAs have come back to haunt them. Paying 800K for Norman is stupid.

I agree that TPA's are 'unlimited' for some clubs only if the NRL keep turning a blind eye to the rorting of that set up. Let's hope things are about to change.

Gould was banging on about it again recently. There needs to be more noise.

Greenburg does not fill me with confidence though. As an example his head is in the sand re clubs rorting the concussion rule and the points Brown has raised this week. It was scary listening to him say there's no problem with it. :crazy:

macavity

Referee
It's just been announced that Parra will "most probably" lose 8 points Mac. TPAs have come back to haunt them. Paying 800K for Norman is stupid.

I agree that TPA's are 'unlimited' for some clubs only if the NRL keep turning a blind eye to the rorting of that set up. Let's hope things are about to change.

Gould was banging on about it again recently. There needs to be more noise.

Greenburg does not fill me with confidence though. As an example his head is in the sand re clubs rorting the concussion rule and the points Brown has raised this week. It was scary listening to him say there's no problem with it. :crazy:

Have they really been haunted? The comp is so divided this year, they will likely make the finals with an 8 point penalty. After being garbage for a long time. And they won't drop players they have assembled, and they will keep doing it, they will just be smarter. They have transformed themselves into a "have". They won't pay for it at all, in fact it will be the making of them as a club. Managers talk to them, players want to go there. All because they were happy to fake it until they made it legal.

Johns Magic

Referee
Don't know if he's the answer long-term but right now we are a better side with him. I think he could potentially be a good centre for us long-term but we'll see. Certainly I feel he is NRL standard unlike Pat.

Pat may well get dropped now.

PhilGould

Bench
This would be my full strength backline

1. Dane Gagai
2. Nathan Ross / Chanel Mata'utia
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Pete Mata'utia
5. Aku Uate