What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
Was told once Bird would never sign to play in Newcastle. I sort of hope that's true. Can be so good and so very bad.

Looks like Mansour is testing himself on the open market.

He wouldnt be cheap, but would still probably get him for less than what uate is on. Mansour is bigger, stronger, better under the high ball, better defender, better finisher and probably faster these days.

I know that we reallly really need is a ball playing fullback and centre, but there aren't any options on the market there. We are also desperate for a safe as houses winger who doesnt derp.

The thing is, our club ruins player's so no one will want to come here.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
While Mansour would be a walk up start in our team he would probably expect rep money at this stage and we've already got one grossly overpaid winger at the club so we don't need another one. I'd take Mansour on $300k but no more than that. He'll probably sign elsewhere for way more though.

On the topic of what we need at the club at the moment I think we really need to get our hands on a creative forward or two, someone who can ball play a bit and throw an offload. We must be the worst team in the comp for second phase play, which in part I put down to the coaching because I have a feeling Brown is trying to keep things simple, but it's so frustrating seeing us do the same predictable crap in attack every week where the opposition just needs to tackle the legs of the guy with the ball and the play dies right there. There are those rumours that we're looking at Luke Lewis, I think he would be a good signing based on what we're lacking, he's got the passing skills of a half/centre and is also a line-breaking back rower who doesn't shirk his duties in defence either.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that letting Cuthbo go was a bad move, he was our most creative player by a long shot, his offloads made us harder to defend against every week and he injected some energy coming off the bench.

I'm not sure who else is on the open market as far as this type of player goes, can anyone provide an update of what's out there?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The thing that annoys me is that our team doesnt seem to understand the value of off-loads....

They only ever look for that try-assist after the tackle-break, but that is a 1-100 play and there is just as much chance that we drop it as there is we score.

The one we never seem to look for is the one when a forward is just standing in a tackle and The DummyHalf is behind them. This is the far less spectacular play (it might only get us another 10m) but every time we do it, it is like having a 7th tackle; the defence is back 10m, the dummyhalf will probably just shovel it on to another forward for a hitup, but we get 10m we didnt have a right to.

This is also when a Hooker is most valuable. Everything else they do is pass off the ground or scoot from DummyHalf (things anyone could do), but from these offloads they have a broken defence and runners beside them. This was what Budsy was so good at and where Levi could be lethal if he was just given a few chances.

THAT is what i was to see for the rest of the season.....

Edit: if Feeney can put on some weight, he could slot into the backrow and might offer a bit of ballplaying talent from the pack

Last edited:
I reckon I'm looking for a miracle player but this is what I want as a replacement for Smith:
1.Experienced with rep and GF experience.
2.A player these young guys want to play with and learn from.
3.Leadership.
4.Mobile enough to play out wide and fill in the centres if we get a back injured.

Gravy

Juniors
I reckon I'm looking for a miracle player but this is what I want as a replacement for Smith:
1.Experienced with rep and GF experience.
2.A player these young guys want to play with and learn from.
3.Leadership.
4.Mobile enough to play out wide and fill in the centres if we get a back injured.

Luke Lewis?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
He's probably the most likely option for us, he hopefully wouldn't expect a massive pay cheque and we would get good value from him.

The thing that annoys me is that our team doesnt seem to understand the value of off-loads....

They only ever look for that try-assist after the tackle-break, but that is a 1-100 play and there is just as much chance that we drop it as there is we score.

The one we never seem to look for is the one when a forward is just standing in a tackle and The DummyHalf is behind them. This is the far less spectacular play (it might only get us another 10m) but every time we do it, it is like having a 7th tackle; the defence is back 10m, the dummyhalf will probably just shovel it on to another forward for a hitup, but we get 10m we didnt have a right to.

This is also when a Hooker is most valuable. Everything else they do is pass off the ground or scoot from DummyHalf (things anyone could do), but from these offloads they have a broken defence and runners beside them. This was what Budsy was so good at and where Levi could be lethal if he was just given a few chances.

THAT is what i was to see for the rest of the season.....

Edit: if Feeney can put on some weight, he could slot into the backrow and might offer a bit of ballplaying talent from the pack

Out support play is abysmal. Its as if when a player hits the ball up everyone just thinks thats the end of the play. You never see gagai sniffing around the ruck ever. All the good teams have a fullback that will capitalise on any opportunity, these fullbacks are ready for anything, an offload, a kick. There was a number of opportunities against manly where, if there was a support player lingering around we probably would have scored. These are the opportunities all the good teams turn into points.

I feel this club needs two senior players. Ennis we should be moving heaven to sign. Better with age. The other is Soward. We need winners.

Jono078

Referee
I feel this club needs two senior players. Ennis we should be moving heaven to sign. Better with age. The other is Soward. We need winners.
As good as Ennis has been, I think we have to stay committed to Levi and what Brown is trying to achieve.

I'm all for signing a senior guy or 2, but at the hooker position I'd think maybe not.