What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
If the stories floating about Seibold end up being true, it will explain why The place has turned in to a basket case, and why some players are doing their utmost to get out of there.

i’d take a punt on him on a very team friendly deal and renegotiate next year, unfortunately he has the Bulldogs written all over him, they have 2 mill in space, front load a deal for him.

Knight Vision

First Grade
If the stories floating about Seibold end up being true, it will explain why The place has turned in to a basket case, and why some players are doing their utmost to get out of there.

i’d take a punt on him on a very team friendly deal and renegotiate next year, unfortunately he has the Bulldogs written all over him, they have 2 mill in space, front load a deal for him.
doesnt strike me as a player that would be happy playing in a struggling side like the Bulldogs.

If he goes to a struggling side I think he'll slowly disappear from everyone's radar....much like Napa has.

aqua_duck

Coach
absolutely. Remember there was a time when Taumalolo was languishing in QLD Cup at the Cowboys. Maybe this will be his attitude adjustment.

I'd be very surprised if we dont at least make an inquiry.

Toohey did mention that we cannot afford Green for next year so our cap might not even allow for TPJ.
To be fair Taumalolo was 19-20 at that stage and there was no reports of him being a d***head but more a case of finding it difficult to get a crack in a very good side and being abit of a victim of Paul Green's pick and stick approach

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
absolutely. Remember there was a time when Taumalolo was languishing in QLD Cup at the Cowboys. Maybe this will be his attitude adjustment.

I'd be very surprised if we dont at least make an inquiry.

Toohey did mention that we cannot afford Green for next year so our cap might not even allow for TPJ.

id be amazed if we don’t have cash for next year. We will possibly save 1.5 million in letting Moga, guerra and glasby go. Then there is the possibility of saving money on Watson’s next contract.

Loose Cannon

Bench
id be amazed if we don’t have cash for next year. We will possibly save 1.5 million in letting Moga, guerra and glasby go. Then there is the possibility of saving money on Watson’s next contract.
This is what I can’t work out. Frizell for Glasby, Pommy kid assumed on the cheap (Moga’s money). Why are we short?

Green for Watson, or two for the current Watson money? Guerra gone or reduced.

Where is our money going?

Knight Vision

First Grade
is it possible some of that money is gone on up-grades ? Doesnt Pearce of a clause for additional money if we make the 8 ?

But yes money from Herman, Guerra ( if necessary ) Moga, Watson ( this is a no brainer for mine ) , and Glasby ( which is unexpected ) should see some cash

PhilGould

Bench
Ponga got a substantial upgrade, Frizell coming in on good money, Pearce & Klemmer (and probably others) have top 8 bonuses in their contracts

Knight Vision

First Grade
Makes no sense that we wouldn't have cap space for next season. Even with the upgrades, we should have room for Green at the very least. Something not adding up here...
given the choice between re-signing Watson or signing Green I know which one I'd be going for.

We already had the money for Frizell, and now unexpectedly Glasby is retiring we surely have some coin lying around somewhere.

Yosh

Coach
There is no guarantee around TPJ but surely he is worth a punt? Interesting none the less. Would he deadly if he came with an attitude to prove himself.

Still Nutty

Juniors
did he? I didn't know about this. What was supposedly said/happened ?

“I looked at the Newcastle set-up but it was a curiosity thing,” he said.

“I am from Newcastle and my best mates are there, so naturally I was keen to look at their set-up.

“They are going to be a strong club in the next few years so they were attractive, but I feel like I can play my best football at the Broncos.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/de086f328a82821a299fa771d70d67ca

We've had 3 cracks at him by my reckoning and been knocked back every time and comments like "...but it was a curiosity thing" reflect to me that we were never in the running and he only used us to boost his Brisbane pay packet.

Based on his on field efforts and attitude, I still believe we dodged a bullet. I think he is still going to want overs for what he has delivered versus what his potential was - If Obi wanted a 'project player' and he was willing to accept lower $$$, that would minimise our risk then I'd back the coach to work with him but based on past history re his attitude and under performance to date, I'm not sold that he would be a good pick up, even at a 'good' price

Silent Knight

First Grade
I’ve noticed that in our past few signings Obi has consistently said words to the effect that “not only is <insert player name> a quality player but he is a quality person as well who will fit in with what we’re trying to build here”.

If that is Obi’s world view about recruiting quality people to the club, there is no way we’re going after TPJ. Unless TPJ does a complete about face, pulls his head in and can convince Obi he is worth a chance through demonstrating commitment and hard work, I don’t see him at our club.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I just want to say one further thing about where this club should be heading. It takes every person in an organisation to build a strong and successful culture and at the same time it only requires one bad apple to bring it all down. If you recruit even just one person with a bad influence they can have a ripple effect that will impact on the mentality of everyone, especially the younger and more impressionable people in your organisation.

Now I think back to the period when we were a strong club. It was a team of mostly Newcastle juniors who dreamed of pulling on the red and blue and representing our great region. Names like Paul Harragon, the Johns brothers, Mark Hughes, Danny Buderus and Kurt Gidley. At the same time we brought in some outside players who completely bought into what the club was about, names like Robbie O'Davis, Adam MacDougall, Ben Kennedy and Matt Parsons. These were blokes you would want to play with.

Ever since the early 00s though we have moved away from what made the club successful. Under Hagan in the mid 00s we drifted too far towards a "locals first" policy, where mediocre players felt like they were entitled to a regular first grade position without putting in. Later on, we went too far in the opposite direction and recruited players like Darius Boyd and Joey Leilua who lets face it came here for a paycheck but never really appreciated the significance of pulling on our jersey.

I feel like we are on a path back to where we were so long ago. I know we have more outside players than locals in the team, but I don't think it will be that way forever. Already we have blokes like the Saifiti twins and Mitch Barnett showing the way, and exciting young players like Bradman Best, Star Toa and Phoenix Crossland coming through. But most importantly we have a coach who is hellbent on eliminating entitlement and complacency, and players who are starting to buy in to what he's saying.

I just don't see how TPJ fits in with what we're trying to build here. He's not humble, he's not as tough as he makes himself out to be, and I don't see him as the player that other players want to play with.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I just want to say one further thing about where this club should be heading. It takes every person in an organisation to build a strong and successful culture and at the same time it only requires one bad apple to bring it all down. If you recruit even just one person with a bad influence they can have a ripple effect that will impact on the mentality of everyone, especially the younger and more impressionable people in your organisation.

Now I think back to the period when we were a strong club. It was a team of mostly Newcastle juniors who dreamed of pulling on the red and blue and representing our great region. Names like Paul Harragon, the Johns brothers, Mark Hughes, Danny Buderus and Kurt Gidley. At the same time we brought in some outside players who completely bought into what the club was about, names like Robbie O'Davis, Adam MacDougall, Ben Kennedy and Matt Parsons. These were blokes you would want to play with.

Ever since the early 00s though we have moved away from what made the club successful. Under Hagan in the mid 00s we drifted too far towards a "locals first" policy, where mediocre players felt like they were entitled to a regular first grade position without putting in. Later on, we went too far in the opposite direction and recruited players like Darius Boyd and Joey Leilua who lets face it came here for a paycheck but never really appreciated the significance of pulling on our jersey.

I feel like we are on a path back to where we were so long ago. I know we have more outside players than locals in the team, but I don't think it will be that way forever. Already we have blokes like the Saifiti twins and Mitch Barnett showing the way, and exciting young players like Bradman Best, Star Toa and Phoenix Crossland coming through. But most importantly we have a coach who is hellbent on eliminating entitlement and complacency, and players who are starting to buy in to what he's saying.

I just don't see how TPJ fits in with what we're trying to build here. He's not humble, he's not as tough as he makes himself out to be, and I don't see him as the player that other players want to play with.
This is a great post, and you're very right.

Your mention of one person with a bad influence reminded me of my Army days. The effect of negativity and a bad attitude of even 1 person on a team is profound. It is the main difference between success and failure. When pushed to the edge it isnt skill that gets you home, it's the space between the ears.

Knight Vision

First Grade