What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
If he didn't get injured Buhrer would have won player of the year I reckon.

Dan a shoe in now.

How could the greatest origin winger in history not win this award??

Kidding yourself if you think anyone but Dane wins this. He's our best player.

Get with it.

K-Man

Bench
As for Watson, besides the amount we've all seen I can only pass on what I've been told by people that would know...who are also where I got my mail from when I said the "done with Tigers" reports were jumping the gun a few weeks ago.

He is not a natural playmaker. Don't expect him to pass or kick like a dominant half. But he is a competitor and has the agility and ticker to match. Expect Cameron Munster, not Cooper Cronk.

He won't be the lynchpin but we need competitors and matchwinners and this guy is both.

Munster seems like a good comparison, even though Watson is smaller. Also agree that Watson for half the price of Bird looks like solid business.

Basically we've got ourselves a very talented player with some X factor we badly need. He's not going to guide us around the park, but plenty of successful teams have one half you could say that about, and we saw what happened with a hack like Hodko who was supposed to give us control and experience.

I'm excited about what Ponga and Watson can add in terms of flair and match winning ability. It does mean we need a halfback capable of making a lot of good decisions and executing the game plan. Watson is not that guy. Hopefully Lamb develops; some of the signs have been promising and others worrying. Cogger and Phythian are options too, it would be ideal if one of those three kicked on next year and had a breakout season at halfback.

Spot On

Coach
We need Lamb to turn into the dominant organising half

I think many are starting to believe (I mean hope) Maloney will be here next year and Lamb will barbequing alone.

If he does, a few of us are going to have to get use to a lot of swinging arms around the ball carriers head penalties and a lot of holding down/messy ruck annoying shit penalties.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
As for Watson, besides the amount we've all seen I can only pass on what I've been told by people that would know...who are also where I got my mail from when I said the "done with Tigers" reports were jumping the gun a few weeks ago.

He is not a natural playmaker. Don't expect him to pass or kick like a dominant half. But he is a competitor and has the agility and ticker to match. Expect Cameron Munster, not Cooper Cronk.

He won't be the lynchpin but we need competitors and matchwinners and this guy is both.
If that's the case, and then we go out and sign Maloney...aren't we essentially playing two players with exactly the same skill set?

Spot On

Coach
I'd like to know who else Brown and Mooney have in their sights??? Don't we have enough dosh to buy 3 or 4 more forwards and a back even after Ese, Moga and Watson signings????

Volcom6685

Juniors
If that's the case, and then we go out and sign Maloney...aren't we essentially playing two players with exactly the same skill set?
I think the fact we've signed Watson is a pretty clear sign we won't be getting Maloney. Interesting it's come out after origin 3 which was when Cronk was meant to be deciding what he will do . It seems most likely he will retire

Noname36

First Grade
I don't actually rate Watson that highly and I don't think he's exactly what we need in the halves however he's certainly an improvement on anyone we already have so I'm happy with the signing - especially on 150k less than the Tigers offered.

Things are starting to take shape. Desperately need an experienced prop/pack leader though.

Do we get Watson next season or 2019?

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I think lamb is quite good at ball handling, both long and short balls and shows good sleight of hand, his long kicking game is good and organisational skills are ok.

Lamb has zero running game and footwork. A running half would compliment him well.

I'd be more than happy for persist with lamb for another season, with a much better team to see how well he can develop. He looks like he could be a good first grade half. He still needs to improve a lot but he does have skill.

Johns Magic

Referee
Maloney at 7 would be great for us. This is club level not the Kangaroos...can't be 100% perfect on paper.

Last year semi-final, Sharks losing to Raiders. Townsend got pulled off at half-time, Maloney to 7 and Bird(not a playmaker) to 6. Maloney took control and Sharks clawed it back to win.

Anyone saying Maloney wouldn't suit us now is off their head.

Frederick

Staff member
Maloney at 7 would be great for us. This is club level not the Kangaroos...can't be 100% perfect on paper.

Last year semi-final, Sharks losing to Raiders. Townsend got pulled off at half-time, Maloney to 7 and Bird(not a playmaker) to 6. Maloney took control and Sharks clawed it back to win.

Anyone saying Maloney wouldn't suit us now is off their head.
Yeah true. I guess NSW looked their best all series when Pierce went off in game 1 and Maloney shifted to halfback

Alex28

Coach
Where did you hear those figures mate ?
Someone close to the DT source. It'll be close to the mark.

Means we came up a little to secure him. Smart decision.

Agree we need the experience of someone like Maloney to guide a really young, exciting spine.

Old dog

Bench
We are pulling players apart before we have them, if they are better than current ones then that's a plus and better results should happen.
We wanted players, improve the squad, it's happening, let's see what eventuates.

Noname36

First Grade
Someone close to the DT source. It'll be close to the mark.

Means we came up a little to secure him. Smart decision.

Agree we need the experience of someone like Maloney to guide a really young, exciting spine.

Yep Maloney would be the linchpin. I still don't think it will happen (Sharks first need to sign someone decent to release him, then we need to sign him, I've heard Souths are also very keen) but we need to do absolutely everything we can to get him. He's exactly what we need. Experienced, competitive and a winner. I don't think he's too similar to Watson either. He might play 6 but he's got playmaking ability. At the end of the day they're both better than what we currently have and that's really all that matters.

1. Ponga
6. Watson
7. Maloney
9. Levi

NSW Cup:

6. Cogger
7. Lamb

England:

Hodko.

I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Latest posts