What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Old dog

Juniors
Forget the stats pick the man. Go for Woods full throttle, consistently big game numbers and we are in need, not what we have all been talking about, big bad prop but will more than do, don't care what he costs get him

Absolutely i say we pay almost full freight for woods if it means we get him.not exactly who we wanted but who are we to be picky in our situation with rubbish forwards. We were told we were going to be penalised for being under the cap.sometimes you got to just bit the bullet and pay overs and that goes for tevita aswell .those two and things will look a hell of lot better for us next year,we blew it with Wallace trying to play money ball with him and got burnt.

Dave_

Juniors
Who is this Jack Hetherington? Did I hear them say he was from Newy? Looks like the massive grub we need...sigh

Bartwah

Juniors
I’d be happy to sign woods, but at the same time, absolutely filthy if we landed him and weren’t willing to throw the bank at TPJ

Spot On

Coach
Absolutely i say we pay almost full freight for woods if it means we get him.not exactly who we wanted but who are we to be picky in our situation with rubbish forwards. We were told we were going to be penalised for being under the cap.sometimes you got to just bit the bullet and pay overs and that goes for tevita aswell .those two and things will look a hell of lot better for us next year,we blew it with Wallace trying to play money ball with him and got burnt.

I concur with the sentiment here but there is no way I'd pay 800K plus for Woods. Sure we need to cover a lot of it but there has to be a limit for him.

Pangai Jr I've said to offer whatever it takes but he can change a game in 5 minutes - with or without the ball. Be worth every cent of whatever he wants.

Jono078

Referee
Wish our forwards could run as hard as these young panthers. We wouldn’t need to chase overrated Nuffies like Woods.
Such a contrast to our team. Does it come down to the individual's talent and attitude? Or is it a club culture thing?

I'm just waiting for the day the Saifiti's run loose and add the offload to their game. But I'm afraid it'll never come along.

Old dog

Juniors
Lesson to be learnt, Yeo for Penrith, every week plays hard and strong makes heaps of ground , and why? Leg speed, he just keeps pumping and makes lots of ground, not a flash forward not close close to SOO but just keeps giving, make our forwards sit down and look at his games, learn and realise, it's simple just keep pumping those legs

macavity

Referee
Who is this Jack Hetherington? Did I hear them say he was from Newy? Looks like the massive grub we need...sigh

Valentine junior.

Went to the Roosters then Penrith.

We should have the whole junior club on scholarship, the number of first graders out of there is absolutely absurd - their "all time" team would be 17 Kangaroos.

Spot On

Coach
Lesson to be learnt, Yeo for Penrith, every week plays hard and strong makes heaps of ground , and why? Leg speed, he just keeps pumping and makes lots of ground, not a flash forward not close close to SOO but just keeps giving, make our forwards sit down and look at his games, learn and realise, it's simple just keep pumping those legs

Lesson for the team - line speed is bloody important if you want to win matches.

Add to that running hard and tackling hard and all of a sudden you win games.

Penrith made it look easy tonight. Their backrowers are dynamite though, with and without the ball.

Can only dream of our side being half as good defensively as those 2 teams tonight.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Aaron Woods is one of those players who has gotten on the bad side of social media. A number of people who don’t rate Aaron Woods don’t rate him because it’s the done thing now.

This is despite him constantly statistically being one of the best props in the sport. A strong defender with late footwork, an offload and great leg drive. He would be a huge signing but because he dosen’t ‘run hard’ people don’t want him here

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
As for Glasby I don’t mind if he’s the repayment for Lillyman and Heighington. But as said by others we badly need more help upfront. Glasby should atleast tighten up the middle of the field which we badly need

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Let's consider Woods as a player in context with what we need. He's got a decent work rate and makes fairly consistent metres and has an offload which we don't have in any of our current forwards.

That being said he doesn't provide any intimidation factor at all and is arguably a bigger marshmallow than some of our current forwards when you compare how much experience he has compared to our current guys. He doesn't hit the line with any speed whatsoever and I can't remember ever seeing him iron anyone out with his defence either. Also he doesn't come across as an inspiring on-field or off-field leader and he's got errors and penalties in his game as well as general laziness around the ruck from time to time.

All of the above factored in Woods is still an upgrade on what we have and would walk into our current starting team but there's no way that he's worth what he's on at the Bulldogs.

Supposedly he's currently on $800k-$900k or something like that which is big overs. In theory we could get the Bulldogs to chip in 30-40% of his wage but imo they would have to do it over the whole contract period to be worth it, not just one or two years. I wouldn't want to be paying him the full value of that deal at the end of the contract because he's just not worth that. The problem is that he's been payed as an elite level rep player when realistically he shouldn't have been getting a run in either the NSW or Australian sides.

I think he's a decent first grade prop at the end of the day and would marginally improve our side but I'd say paying more than $500k-$550k (which is still overs) is too much and we wouldn't get value for more than that.

Also as some others have brought up if we are prepared to shell out big $$$ for Woods when why not throw that money at TPJ first. He'd give us what we need in our side and is the best young forward going around, if we're going to pay overs I'd rather pay it for a guy who's worth it in the long run over a guy who's already past his best and was always overrated anyway. At least make a big enough offer to make him question staying at Brisbane.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Also was reading in an online article today that the Bulldogs have basically said the only players off limits to other clubs are Jackson and Klemmer which basically means all their other players are potentially on the market. I don't know too much about the rest of their squad but does anyone else think there's any value there in any of those players? Even some of the guys who we could get for cheap?

Haffa

Valentine junior.

Went to the Roosters then Penrith.

We should have the whole junior club on scholarship, the number of first graders out of there is absolutely absurd - their "all time" team would be 17 Kangaroos.
Their age group team when I was playing junior footy was 1-17 the Hunter rep side. The Central Coast rep side I played in had a few former Val players who were being payed to play for Wyong.

Spot On

Coach
Aaron Woods is one of those players who has gotten on the bad side of social media. A number of people who don’t rate Aaron Woods don’t rate him because it’s the done thing now.

This is despite him constantly statistically being one of the best props in the sport. A strong defender with late footwork, an offload and great leg drive. He would be a huge signing but because he dosen’t ‘run hard’ people don’t want him here

He's now had 2 clubs who don't want to hang on to him. Cleary put up very little fight to retain him seeing better value props in Packer and Mataulino even though he was their most experienced player, captain and leader - a Tiger through and through.

Now the Dogs have a cap issue and are happy to push him out. Yes he's on a shitload too much money but if he was one of the premier big men in the comp you would try everything you could to keep him.

Common denominator - he is on way too much money and he has been terribly overrated. NSW being so bad for so long with such poor depth has meant many players have gained rep status and therefore huge overs. Woods is one of those. Surely his rep career is over now. I will be shocked if he is picked for NSW again. Therefore his next club is not paying for a rep player.

He is better than what we have but the bar is bloody low here.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Let's consider Woods as a player in context with what we need. He's got a decent work rate and makes fairly consistent metres and has an offload which we don't have in any of our current forwards.

That being said he doesn't provide any intimidation factor at all and is arguably a bigger marshmallow than some of our current forwards when you compare how much experience he has compared to our current guys. He doesn't hit the line with any speed whatsoever and I can't remember ever seeing him iron anyone out with his defence either. Also he doesn't come across as an inspiring on-field or off-field leader and he's got errors and penalties in his game as well as general laziness around the ruck from time to time.

All of the above factored in Woods is still an upgrade on what we have and would walk into our current starting team but there's no way that he's worth what he's on at the Bulldogs.

Supposedly he's currently on $800k-$900k or something like that which is big overs. In theory we could get the Bulldogs to chip in 30-40% of his wage but imo they would have to do it over the whole contract period to be worth it, not just one or two years. I wouldn't want to be paying him the full value of that deal at the end of the contract because he's just not worth that. The problem is that he's been payed as an elite level rep player when realistically he shouldn't have been getting a run in either the NSW or Australian sides.

I think he's a decent first grade prop at the end of the day and would marginally improve our side but I'd say paying more than $500k-$550k (which is still overs) is too much and we wouldn't get value for more than that.

Also as some others have brought up if we are prepared to shell out big $$$ for Woods when why not throw that money at TPJ first. He'd give us what we need in our side and is the best young forward going around, if we're going to pay overs I'd rather pay it for a guy who's worth it in the long run over a guy who's already past his best and was always overrated anyway. At least make a big enough offer to make him question staying at Brisbane.

Excellent post. My thoughts exactly.

Spot On

Coach
Also was reading in an online article today that the Bulldogs have basically said the only players off limits to other clubs are Jackson and Klemmer which basically means all their other players are potentially on the market. I don't know too much about the rest of their squad but does anyone else think there's any value there in any of those players? Even some of the guys who we could get for cheap?

Honestly, no. If the club are happy with the backrow then I don't see anyone worth persuing given our spine when at full strength and with Ramien coming.

Last edited:

Latest posts