What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Yosh

Coach
I just don't see it with Hoy.

- Athletically, he is below average. Not that quick, not that big or strong and isn't elusive either.
- Doesn't have the confidence of the younger stars like Walker or Walsh. He looks scared most of the time on the field.
- Have not seen any piece of skill at all. No cut out balls, no skill to draw and pass, never seen him kick it.

If I had to choose between paying top dollar for Brooks or paying a development contract for Hoy, I'd personally go with the Hoy option and use the money elsewhere. I just don't think Hoy has a future in the NRL. Maybe two or three decades ago but the game is suited for wee little plain folk no more...

Loose Cannon

Bench
- Doesn't have the confidence of the younger stars like Walker or Walsh. He looks scared most of the time on the field.
This is his major malfunction.

Remember 2020 semi final when Lino was dropped late for him on bench. Commentary alluded to his nervousness, while he was shivering on the pine. O’Brien should take full responsibility for that selection.

If Johns can fix that I think he has enough skills to be at least competent, and therefore respectable.

Cup for a year at 6. No fullback. No first grade, no matter how many injuries.

mozza91

Coach
Hoy is the type of player who can stand out in NSW Cup but isn’t up to First Grade level.

It’s not the end of the world giving him a year but ideally he won’t be seen in FG.

Choppy91

Juniors
Why do we only have two forwards and a million crappy backs outside the best 17?
Agree. Our forward pack is so thin outside our 17. Now losing King on top of that, who do we have? The NSW cup forwards we have aren't anywhere near NRL standard if you ask me, and after 2 years of no footy due to the pandemic, this is will hurt us come time when we get injuries. Klemmer and the Saifiti's are starting to become quite injury prone now.

Old dog

Juniors
Reading into Hoy signing and now a filled roster it looks like Ponga and Clifford will stay 1 & 6 with Clune our 7 and Pearce gone freeing up a spot. Hodgson, Hoy and Crosslands 1, 6 & 7 in reserves for season unless injuries.
Moving of Ponga to 6 and Clifford to 7 on hold but to be fair doubt that was going to happen very soon

Loose Cannon

Bench
Reading into Hoy signing and now a filled roster it looks like Ponga and Clifford will stay 1 & 6 with Clune our 7 and Pearce gone freeing up a spot. Hodgson, Hoy and Crosslands 1, 6 & 7 in reserves for season unless injuries.
Moving of Ponga to 6 and Clifford to 7 on hold but to be fair doubt that was going to happen very soon
Agreed.

Hope Clune settles into top grade well. Quietly optimistic.

Let‘s see what Johns, Green and Peters can achieve re the spine (across both grades).

Old dog

Juniors
Don’t think we have lost any forward except King and if you count Watson he is likely replaced by Mann at 14. We have signed Croker into our 30 as a replacement for King and he should develop further now full time footballer. Assuming no injuries our packs should be something like Dan, Brailey, JSaf, Friz, Fitz, Barnett with bench Mann, Klem, Jones and Sue. Res Grade Saulo, Randall, Croker, Purcell, Talty, Momoisea and Ticehurst on bench.
Saying this I also hope that we sign another forward when Pearce leaves

slotmachine

First Grade
I think something weird is going on with how NRL reports on the squad. No way can kirsz, hoy and Croker all be in the top 30

Burwood

Bench
Yeah, Hoy got a development contract, so we won’t be seeing him in NRL until round 11 at earliest. Under the new rules, top 30 doesn’t seem to matter as much. We can pretty much get players from anywhere.

Yosh

Coach
I hope we Pearce's money to get a gun impact backrower. Personally I really like having Jones in the side. Don't see him becoming a rock star but I hope he plays our bench backrower for the next decade. His versatility and reliability are amazing.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Can't blame the club for Mitchell deciding his body is past NRL level contact. Hopefully Knowles can make this squad durable for the whole season and a cut above the rest over 80 mins.

Last edited:
There was an article a few months back that we were about to poach one of Parramatta's most promising 18 year old forwards. Did anything come of that?