What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench
Yes, that Clifford. Comparing him to the same Luke Brooks who has been a first choice halfback for 9 seasons and played 0 games of finals footy. Neither are the answer.

PhilGould

Bench
Long term? Of course not. Better than our current options for a year? Yep.
Better based on what? And you’re not getting him on a 1-year deal. Will be 2 years minimum, probably 3. He’s getting paid his owed salary next season regardless of where he’s playing, the “significant pay cut” Toohey is talking about is for the year(s) after.

Knight Tales

Juniors
- Knights still have to fill 1 spot in the top 30 by August 1. Toohey guesses Mat Croker will be upgraded into that spot.
That'd be our speed. Give away an upgrade and don't even push for a higher quality player.

Let us hope Parr goes to Gardner with a brutally honest assessment of the whole setup. People start to feel uncomfortable about their job security once again.

Last edited:

TooheysNew

Coach
Better based on what? And you’re not getting him on a 1-year deal. Will be 2 years minimum, probably 3. He’s getting paid his owed salary next season regardless of where he’s playing, the “significant pay cut” Toohey is talking about is for the year(s) after.
Based on our current options having done nothing all season, and us not knowing who to play in first grade because they're all terrible options.

If you really think Brooks isn't better than our current options, even at his current speed, you're watching different football to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't really want him either. But I would prefer him to what we've got currently, especially considering Milford is gone.

If he wants longer than a 1 year deal to prove his worth, he can stay at the Tigers. We'd be stupid to give him longer than 1 year given his form.

But I'm not talking about his 2024 pay cut. I'm talking about him being under contract with the Tigers, and them not wanting him, therefore them paying part of his salary in 2023.

PhilGould

Bench
Based on our current options having done nothing all season, and us not knowing who to play in first grade because they're all terrible options.

If you really think Brooks isn't better than our current options, even at his current speed, you're watching different football to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't really want him either. But I would prefer him to what we've got currently, especially considering Milford is gone.

If he wants longer than a 1 year deal to prove his worth, he can stay at the Tigers. We'd be stupid to give him longer than 1 year given his form.

But I'm not talking about his 2024 pay cut. I'm talking about him being under contract with the Tigers, and them not wanting him, therefore them paying part of his salary in 2023.
What has Brooks done all season? Or the previous 3 seasons? Tigers fans are begging for him to be dropped and can't wait to see the back of him.

There's no point talking about getting him for a season because that's not going to happen.

TooheysNew

Coach
What has Brooks done all season? Or the previous 3 seasons? Tigers fans are begging for him to be dropped and can't wait to see the back of him.

There's no point talking about getting him for a season because that's not going to happen.

And we are in the same boat with our junk halves. We have nothing to lose.

I'm not as convinced as you that he won't sign for one season.

We can sign Brookes, but we’re still severely lacking leaders next season. We need 2 players to fill that role, and I don’t really care what position they play in.
This is the exact point I was going to make

Idgaf if Brooks comes or not, it'll make little difference unless we can get an onfield leader to help drive standards. A guy like Angus Crighton would be ideal

"14TH: KNIGHTS — What is the fix to halves ‘rut’ and could it involve a Ponga switch?

Right now, the biggest question for the Knights is whether they sit Kalyn Ponga for the rest of the year. All signs point towards the answer being yes at this stage.

It is unfortunate timing as it may have denied Newcastle a chance to experiment with its halves situation ahead of next season.

Newcastle has already tried playing Ponga at five-eighth before but was quick to revert the 24-year-old back to fullback, where he has spent the majority of his career.

Ponga shut down talk of a permanent move to five-eighth at the end of last year, telling reporters he “put that to bed” and would prefer to “work at my craft at the back”.

But as The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio argued, it could be the answer to Newcastle’s halves headache, which has only deepened since Mitchell Pearce’s exit.

“[The Knights need to move Ponga] to get out of this rut they’ve been in in and around the halves,” Riccio said on Triple M.

“We saw all the headlines over summer in relation to going after Luke Brooks. We saw Anthony Milford picked up mid-year, they’ve played Phoenix Crossland, Jake Clifford. It’s just been this high rotation of similar style and standard players. They’ve got a $1.1 million fullback.”

Riccio went on to argue that some of the league’s best teams — the Panthers, Sharks and Cowboys — have all succeeded this year without big-money fullbacks.

A player like Dylan Edwards could be just what Newcastle needs — a solid, dependable fullback with a strong running game who can also organise the defensive line.

After all, the Knights are more likely to find that sort of a player for less money on the open market than a genuine difference-maker in the halves to replace Anthony Milford.

Now, that is easier said than done given the fact it is so late and there are few quality fullbacks still left on the market.

One left-field target for 2024 though could be Manly’s Reuben Garrick, who has proven himself an impressive fill-in for Tom Trbojevic and is off-contract at the end of 2023.

Of course, there are calls for Newcastle to put greater emphasis on its pathways system and developing the answer in the halves, but that will take time.

In the short-term, Riccio said moving Ponga to five-eighth could be worth considering ahead of next year.

“For the structure of your salary cap, I’m a firm believer the Knights have to move Kalyn Ponga to five-eighth,” Riccio added.

“We’ve seen fullbacks make that transition and Ponga has played five-eighth in the past. The more times Kalyn Ponga touches the footy, the more devastating the Knights are. Everything revolves around Kalyn but at fullback he is waiting for the footy.”

That is not something Newcastle can experiment with for the rest of the season, but coach Adam O’Brien can keep it in mind as the club works out what the halves picture looks like next year.

Milford’s departure leaves Adam Clune, Jake Clifford and Phoenix Crossland as options in while the Knights have been heavily linked to Tigers’ halfback Luke Brooks.

Brooks though has struggled to consistently assert himself at the Tigers and may be more suited to playing at five-eighth. He will also cost a fair bit to bring over anyway, which only adds more weight to the idea of going for a cheaper fullback instead.

Not everyone agrees that moving Ponga is the right move though, with Queensland teammate Christian Welch telling Triple M that would take away one of his most “underrated” qualities.

“You look at Ponga in Origin,” he said.

“His ability to get sets going, his ability to beat that first defender and get some ruck speed going for the wingers to come onto the ball the next day is highly underrated.”

As is the situation with Fifita and the Titans, it may instead be a case of being smarter in the way they use Ponga. Playing without him for the rest of the season could force Newcastle to do just that, finding ways to score without being overly reliant on Ponga doing it all himself.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson delivered a home truth in that regard after their win over the Knights, telling reporters: “As soon as Kalyn went off, you sort of knew that they were going to struggle on their creativity on the back of any opportunities they got”.

So, for the rest of the season, O’Brien and the Knights need to find creativity elsewhere while working out what their first-choice halves pairing could look like next year."

Jono078

Referee
Should we be asking for Jock Madden instead of Luke Brooks?

He doesn't have the "name" but he seems as solid.

I keep hearing people compare Brooks to Ben Hunt, but I think there's a huge competitive drive difference between them two.

Latest posts