What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Jono078

Referee
We’ll point #1 doesn’t surprise me in the slightest, based on what I’ve read. Extremely disappointing though because we’ve struggled for so long in that area.

I like that Parr wants individuals to focus on specific roles.

Lastly, Zammit would’ve been better off staying in Townsville.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
LOL we are literally the only club where the head physio could lose the dressing room.

Seriously though what actually happened with Knowles and Klem? If it was simply a matter of Klem telling him to “F**k off” on the field then it’s a bit much for Knowles to go to HR over it. Surely if this bloke has been around footy teams for a while he’d have a thicker skin than that.

Alex28

Coach
Seriously though what actually happened with Knowles and Klem? If it was simply a matter of Klem telling him to “F**k off” on the field then it’s a bit much for Knowles to go to HR over it. Surely if this bloke has been around footy teams for a while he’d have a thicker skin than that.
It has to be more than that…

Jono078

Referee
Has to be.

Knowles said it's something to do with Klem putting himself before the team (whether he's referring to not coming off the field, I don't know). However the way Knowles went about it, why would any player trust him moving forward? You'd feel like if you did something wrong he would go straight to the boss and then you have to justify why your contract shouldn't be torn up.

So it's kind of ironic that Knowles is all about the team and then he's done something to put the whole team off him.

Only in Newcastle would this happen. We can't have nice things happen for us.

Bdubs

Juniors
Realistic is that we should still have a crack, but not be to surprised if we don't get them.
so you think we should keep having a crack at players we are no chance of getting. I don't see any point in that, makes us look stupid to players we are actually some chance to get. When you keep getting knocked back by players, it gives the impression that there is something wrong with the club and makes it even harder to land players. Its already hard enough with the speculation around the coach and the past fortnight around Klemmer wont help either.

But if thats your point of view, then lets agree to disagree

I do agree we have to try to improve our roster in a few areas, i just think we are better suited to improve the squad depth because when we get injuries or suspentions there is no one ready to step up into first grade a the moment, rather than have an out an out start cause it will throw our cap out like when Hagan was here. I think our cap is out of whack now as it is with a few players being on more then they should be

Spot On

Coach
Would be a very short conversation

Hey Braith, we reckon Newcastle could be a good fit for munster.
Hysterical laughing.
We gave Pearce a million a season.

With that in mind, the only way Anasta wouldn’t laugh is if we offered 2 million for an actual star such as Munster.

Ain’t ever gonna happen.

Yosh

Coach
After listening to Parr for an hour, I feel rather safe. He backed AOB to the hills but it sounded a tad forced. He also said all the right things and his experience is fantastic.

I wouldn't be surprised if we turn it around with a season or two.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
so you think we should keep having a crack at players we are no chance of getting. I don't see any point in that, makes us look stupid to players we are actually some chance to get. When you keep getting knocked back by players, it gives the impression that there is something wrong with the club and makes it even harder to land players. Its already hard enough with the speculation around the coach and the past fortnight around Klemmer wont help either.

I do agree we have to try to improve our roster in a few areas, i just think we are better suited to improve the squad depth because when we get injuries or suspentions there is no one ready to step up into first grade a the moment, rather than have an out an out start cause it will throw our cap out like when Hagan was here. I think our cap is out of whack now as it is with a few players being on more then they should be
I agree that we're better off bolstering depth in the squad and improving strength on positions across the board then we are trying to fix anything by chasing the likes of Luke Brooks on prohibitive multi year deals.

Bdubs

Juniors
I agree that we're better off bolstering depth in the squad and improving strength on positions across the board then we are trying to fix anything by chasing the likes of Luke Brooks on prohibitive multi year deals.
I am not a fan of Brooks and i don't want him to come here. I would prefer to take a punt on a young halfback with promise rather than sign Brooks who has reached his peak and now is regressing. Maybe a change of clubs will help him but if we are going to live in the maybes, then i'd prefer to take the punt on someone who hasn't peaked yet.

I personally like the idea of:
Hastings - for his experience
Illias - because i feel he has shown alot of improvement this season, is young and i can see a good firstgrade halfback in him
Perez - was with us, now at Storm with both their halves locked up if Munster stays and he is apparently the next big thing
Then there are Sexton from Titans and Schiller from Canberra. Both haven't shown much more then what we have but are improvements none the less. Sexton i think has more attack in him but not enough game management yet. Schiller has more game management of the 2 but not much in way of attack but Joey could unlock that

TooheysNew

Coach

Absolutely. Why take ourselves out of the running without even asking the question behind closed doors?

The thing that makes us look stupid to players is our on field performance. The fact is, there is something wrong with the club, and that is what will deter players. Not being turned down by top level players. That happens to clubs every day.

We don't fix our on field performances by only chasing players who are certainties to come here. That's how we get Clune and Clifford in the halves for another year.

Jono078

Referee
You don't win the lotto by not playing.

I'd rather have a crack than not. We wouldn't have gotten Ponga if we had the attitude of not trying, Then you could argue not landing Ponga wouldn't have landed Klemmer, Brailey and Pearce.

You've got to start somewhere and show you can mix it with the big guns with your offer and how you sell Newcastle.

We're not selling Newcastle on this year, we're selling them the dream of tomorrow.

macavity

Referee
Pezet is zero chance, he chose to leave because his dad got sacked.

Madden possibly?

Really sounds like it’s gunna be Brooks. Has the talent but we need leadership.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
When I look at Brooks I see a first grade level half who is seriously down on confidence and possibly motivation as well.

Both of those things can be fixed in the right environment, but of course the main question is whether the Knights are the club to provide that right environment. He certainly has a higher ceiling than Clune or Clifford so I can see the reason that the club is considering him. In my opinion it’s worth a roll of the dice considering who’s currently on our books for next year but the money and length of deal would be the main things we have to get right. Ideally a 1 year deal with a 1 year option in the club’s favour would make sense. Maybe $400K-$500K a season, which sounds like a lot but that’s the going rate for a half who you expect to play first grade and run your team every week. There’s no way I’d want the club signing him for anywhere near what he’s on now.

The thing that annoys me is we always seem to be behind the 8-ball when players come off contract or are looking to move clubs. For example, during the off season Jamal Fogarty leaves the Titans for the Raiders and it was announced earlier this year that Foran was leaving the Sea Eagles for the Titans next year. How did we not figure in the conversation for either of those players? Both would have been an upgrade on what we have. Maybe behind the scenes we did enquire but I can at least see a world where we speak to Foran and he comes here instead of the Titans. Why move interstate to be at a worse club rather than an hour up the road and much closer to friends & family???

Anyway ideally we sign a couple of new halves and have 3-4 guys fighting it out for those spots in 2023.

Knight Tales

Juniors
The biggest issue with Brooks has been the absolute mind games and drawn out nature of it all. And for what reason? So Sheens’ massive ego can tell himself Brooks plateauing was because he never had the chance to coach him! That’s how it reads.

Yosh

Coach
Why not use 2023 as a rebuilding year and put all our hopes and dreams on signing Munster for 2024? Make a premiership run between 2024 and 2027 until our gun juniors are old enough to take over?

Only if it were that easy...

LOL we are literally the only club where the head physio could lose the dressing room.

It's more the case of how Knowles dealt with it and how he has gone on about it on Twitter and in the media since.
He publicly responded to Baz with accusations when he could have responded privately.
His media statements are full of how wonderful he is and of all his achievement.
A simple professional approach might have been:
'I aknowledge and respect that the club has dealt with this matter and has put in place a procedure to deal with such matters in the future.'
Then walk away.
Instead he seems like he is on a mission.

Latest posts