What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Bdubs

Juniors
Why should the Sharks release Miller on time and help us.

This is a f**k you to the club for not having their shit in order heading into the off-season. Huge built in excuse for AOB right here.

I hope Hodgson is killing it this pre-season and can make a fist of the fullback role. Or AOB will go Gagai or Mann.
If the Sharks are stuffing around and playing games with us on Miller just because they can, it says more about them as a club then us as a club.

It is a childish approach if true and is detrimental to the player involved as it blocks their career path. I strongly doubt Cronulla are playing games, they are a professional organisation now, they would just be negotiating.

Look how many other players have changed clubs so far this offseason, so we are not the only club looking to change and improve their roster. Yes fullback is a crucial position, but its not like we have been sitting around doing nothing, they have actively been chasing a fullback.

I just seriously hope that if we do actually move Ponga to the halves this season, we don't just completely shit ourselves if it's not working and move him back after 3 or 4 games (a la 2019).

If they're going to move him there, keep him there.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I just seriously hope that if we do actually move Ponga to the halves this season, we don't just completely shit ourselves if it's not working and move him back after 3 or 4 games (a la 2019).

If they're going to move him there, keep him there.
Yeah this is my biggest concern. I think that in time the move to 5/8 will work but it’s going to probably take a while to really get going and it will be a colossal waste of time if KP spends the whole pre season training at 5/8 and is then moved back to FB after a few clunky performances. We’ve been there before and I hope the lesson has been learned.

The club (and AOB) need to hold their nerve on this, results aren’t going to come straight away and they need to avoid making panic decision if things aren’t looking great straight off the bat.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Doubt AOB will be given time. His successor is standing right behind him on the bench.
If he is sacked I doubt it happens as quickly as people think it will. McDermott can do interim but as a long term prospect he would have to show he is a quick learner. A decent number of more qualified coaches ahead of him with NRL experience.

Special K

Coach
It is a childish approach if true and is detrimental to the player involved as it blocks their career path. I strongly doubt Cronulla are playing games, they are a professional organisation now, they would just be negotiating.
Is it? The Sharks took a punt on this rugby 7s guy who had not played any 20's, NSW cup or even high level "normal" Union on a two year deal when his only other option was to play rugby in the states. The Sharks have a history of standing by contracts good and bad. He still develops a year at a club pushing for a top 4 spot and if the situation calls for it he will play NRL. We held onto Metcalf for depth last season and looks like if a trade can't be struck it will be a similar situation. This goes back years and the only time we bent was the Morris drama and releasing Townsend vs "disrespecting him" playing reggies. Maybe the Sharks change their mind but I can't see it based on how things are normally done there.

Fitz is big on things like your word and if you sign a contract for a certain amount of time then that is what you will get. Probably why you aren't hearing noise around Hynes new deal vs Burtons contract buzz when Burton signed a bigger deal in the first place and both come off contract at the same time.

Only thing coming out of the Sharks atm is they are looking at a swap to help Miller. If they can't find something they want to do they expect him to be part of the squad that is trying to push for a deeper finals run and needs depth. There was a rumour before you got Hastings there was a talk of Trindall/Miller for Klemmer.

You picked up Rivett from us who with the right development should become a first grader. Miller is a handy player and an out and out fullback. Hopefully a deal gets done.

macavity

Referee
Is it? The Sharks took a punt on this rugby 7s guy who had not played any 20's, NSW cup or even high level "normal" Union on a two year deal when his only other option was to play rugby in the states. The Sharks have a history of standing by contracts good and bad. He still develops a year at a club pushing for a top 4 spot and if the situation calls for it he will play NRL. We held onto Metcalf for depth last season and looks like if a trade can't be struck it will be a similar situation. This goes back years and the only time we bent was the Morris drama and releasing Townsend vs "disrespecting him" playing reggies. Maybe the Sharks change their mind but I can't see it based on how things are normally done there.

Fitz is big on things like your word and if you sign a contract for a certain amount of time then that is what you will get. Probably why you aren't hearing noise around Hynes new deal vs Burtons contract buzz when Burton signed a bigger deal in the first place and both come off contract at the same time.

Only thing coming out of the Sharks atm is they are looking at a swap to help Miller. If they can't find something they want to do they expect him to be part of the squad that is trying to push for a deeper finals run and needs depth. There was a rumour before you got Hastings there was a talk of Trindall/Miller for Klemmer.

You picked up Rivett from us who with the right development should become a first grader. Miller is a handy player and an out and out fullback. Hopefully a deal gets done.

you can have Jack Johns ✌️

Bdubs

Juniors

mate just to clarify, i'm not saying the Sharks are being childish at all. I am actually saying they are being professional.

What i was referring to as being childish was the post saying that "This is a f**k you to the club for not having their shit in order heading into the off-season". Not a slight on the Sharks at all

I personally believe the Sharks are being professional and negotiating with us about Miller, but you don't give up something for nothing when your in the Sharks position. The Sharks have managed their cap and roster better then we have

slotmachine

First Grade
Are you saying that 60 days out from Round 1 not having a recognised first grade fullback in the squad is the club having it's shit in order?

macavity

Referee
you can have Jack Johns ✌️

in all seriousness, the players you would offer would be:

Hymel Hunt
Dylan Lucas
Enari Tuala
Jack Johns

I don't think they would take any of them tbh, none of them improve their side. In fact half of our starters probably don't improve their side :|

We still have 3 spots available. I expect we probably throw some kids in the deep end early.

Special K

Coach
mate just to clarify, i'm not saying the Sharks are being childish at all. I am actually saying they are being professional.

What i was referring to as being childish was the post saying that "This is a f**k you to the club for not having their shit in order heading into the off-season". Not a slight on the Sharks at all

I personally believe the Sharks are being professional and negotiating with us about Miller, but you don't give up something for nothing when your in the Sharks position. The Sharks have managed their cap and roster better then we have
Ah my misunderstanding. Darren Mooney doing a good job for us. It seems weird the Knights came into the picture so late on Miller given the Dogs were trying to get him out most of last year. Makes me think what was their original plan? I just wonder if the Knights will drop off if they can't get him early/we don't release. I can't see him sticking around with us given Dykes/WK log jam and his age and it would leave him in a possible pickle.

in all seriousness, the players you would offer would be:

Hymel Hunt
Dylan Lucas
Enari Tuala
Jack Johns

I don't think they would take any of them tbh, none of them improve their side. In fact half of our starters probably don't improve their side :|

We still have 3 spots available. I expect we probably throw some kids in the deep end early.
Miller for us is competition/depth. We can't ask for the world for him so Hunt/Tuala might be as good as it gets but they have to be sold on being behind Katoa/Talakai/Raimen/Ronaldo who are walk up starters. Plus both would be on more coin than Miller currently. It is a messy one. Miller on his salary pushing Dykes/WK is worth a lot to us especially with Dykes inexperience. I don't see how the deal gets done unless the Sharks let him and his young family be closer to home. We do however two fullbacks on development deals so maybe we promote from within but there really is not any benefits besides looking after a good fella. Interesting one!

Yosh

Coach
Probably a crazy opinion to have but I'm betting this is the year Best becomes a real first grader. I think a lot of us forget he is the same age as Dom Young. We treat Young like a full on rookie but expect Best to play like a seasoned veteran. Best has played in first grade for a couple of seasons but injuries have derailed every single one of them.

Best should have been given more time in the reserves to build his game before being thrown into first grade. I think we all expected him to be the next Inglis. Perhaps in a Storm system he might have developed so. Make or break season for Best. If he doesn't establish himself as a real solid first grader, he should do himself a favor and move clubs.

I want to see him run some serious lines off Ponga and get 15 tries this season.

BLN2

Juniors
The Sharks are tough negotiators with releases. We signed Metcalf for 2023/24 this time last season, begged them for a release the whole season for no luck. He instead carved up NSW cup, was a replacement player for 5 NRL games and got 1 game off the bench. Wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks do the same with Miller, if you do sign him.

Jono078

Referee
I have no issues with the Sharks playing hardball or whatever, I have issue with our club not being fully prepared heading into this off-season.

We’ve had a number of seasons now where we’ve been lucky enough to pickup other teams discards with the likes of Klemmer, Pearce, Watson, Hastings. We can’t continue test our luck and expect it to work each time.

Next offseason I would like us to have at least 28 spots filled and certainly a good idea of what our starting team looks like.

As of this very second we appear to have committed to Ponga at 5/8th and no certainty who our #1 is. It would also be really unfair on Miller to expect him to come in on half a pre-season and expect things to go well for us.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I have no issues with the Sharks playing hardball or whatever, I have issue with our club not being fully prepared heading into this off-season.

We’ve had a number of seasons now where we’ve been lucky enough to pickup other teams discards with the likes of Klemmer, Pearce, Watson, Hastings. We can’t continue test our luck and expect it to work each time.

Next offseason I would like us to have at least 28 spots filled and certainly a good idea of what our starting team looks like.

As of this very second we appear to have committed to Ponga at 5/8th and no certainty who our #1 is. It would also be really unfair on Miller to expect him to come in on half a pre-season and expect things to go well for us.
They do not see them as discards. And that is the reason nothing changes. Teams which want to improve find ways to reboot and stay ahead of the curve. Penrith were patient.
Despite the debacle that followed the Tinkler reign had a tonne of promise. We were going places. He had insane ambition and it almost worked. He understood to win you have to aim high first and worry about the fallout later. We have not understood that.

Old dog

Juniors
The passing of time, resumption in training and no clear decision or arrival of f/b is a worry. Our likely outcome is a under prepared Miller, a under game time Hodgson or a make do in Gagai or Mann. None of those options is appealing but any are likely.
It’s a worry!

Latest posts