What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Rod

Bench
Dr's issue with Elliott is that he isn't a 'bargain' or a junior like Lucas. And while it would be nice to fill the team with players like that, it's simply not realistic.

Even with young stars like Lucas, eventually you have to pay the piper - like we are now seeing with Leo.

Elliot isn’t a below average journeyman. He is an above average 13. He isn’t overpaid, he is on about what his worth is.
If that's the case an extension should be announced very soon or another club will pounce - he's free to negotiate with other clubs come Nov 1. I'm sure there will be massive demand.

"above average" in? oh here we go missed tackles yep 8th .....is it errors ? yep 3rd

Dr's issue with Elliott is that he isn't a 'bargain' or a junior like Lucas. And while it would be nice to fill the team with players like that, it's simply not realistic.

Even with young stars like Lucas, eventually you have to pay the piper - like we are now seeing with Leo.
not exactly, I'd spend that money on promotion from within, or astute recruitment on a young player with a high ceiling and plenty of tomorrows. A player to develop into a future star - and if nurtured correctly then stays for less.

Bog average journeymen like Hetherington, Elliot, Gamble etc are the depth and experience that every squad needs ( at the right price)

HarVeeGee

Juniors
If that's the case an extension should be announced very soon or another club will pounce - he's free to negotiate with other clubs come Nov 1. I'm sure there will be massive demand.

"above average" in? oh here we go missed tackles yep 8th .....is it errors ? yep 3rd
Where are you getting your stats from? He’s not even top 50 in either…

Leaving aside that missed tackles are a terrible metric for anything… Mitch Kenny is right up the top and he’s the best defender at 9 in the comp.
Elliot is down on most metrics compared to his peers in his position

Would you prefer Elliot over these 10 players?

Cam Murray
Pat Carrigan
Cameron McInnis
Isaah Yeo
Jake Trbojevic
Trent Loiero
Victor Radley
Ruben Cotter
Jamain Hopgood
Tahu Harris

I'll tell you where 29 yr old Elliot sits - Similar stats to 23 yr old Morgan Smithies and 22 yr old Max Plath ( and for fantasy points lovers he's less than they are )

Yosh

Coach

Cam Murray
Pat Carrigan
Cameron McInnis
Isaah Yeo
Jake Trbojevic
Trent Loiero
Victor Radley
Ruben Cotter
Jamain Hopgood
Tahu Harris

I'll tell you where 29 yr old Elliot sits - Similar stats to 23 yr old Morgan Smithies and 22 yr old Max Plath ( and for fantasy points lovers he's less than they are )
Wow. Elliot really is down far on the list... Let's upgrade then, which one those locks you mentioned will come to Newy for Elliot money?

So screwed is the club that after 2 decades of derp even fans are celebrating mediocrity
To be fair It’s one bloke cherry picking stats to suit his shitty argument that he’s losing. So it’s not that much hate.
Elliot is off contract end of next season and can negotiate with other clubs come Nov 1 - of you are correct the club will continue to invest cap on him wont they.

His extension should be announced soon hey - let us see what happens

Wow. Elliot really is down far on the list... Let's upgrade then, which one those locks you mentioned will come to Newy for Elliot money?
not too sharp on the uptake hey bud

not exactly, I'd spend that money on promotion from within, or astute recruitment on a young player with a high ceiling and plenty of tomorrows. A player to develop into a future star - and if nurtured correctly then stays for less.

Bog average journeymen like Hetherington, Elliot, Gamble etc are the depth and experience that every squad needs ( at the right price)

macavity

Referee
So screwed is the club that after 2 decades of derp even fans are celebrating mediocrity

Elliot is off contract end of next season and can negotiate with other clubs come Nov 1 - of you are correct the club will continue to invest cap on him wont they.

His extension should be announced soon hey - let us see what happens

Wouldn’t be surprised if we offer one or even two more years while we groom someone.

Apey

Staff member

Cam Murray
Pat Carrigan
Cameron McInnis
Isaah Yeo
Jake Trbojevic
Trent Loiero
Victor Radley
Ruben Cotter
Jamain Hopgood
Tahu Harris

It's a fantasy to have top 4 players in every position. There's a salary cap.

At least 7 of those 10 players would be on a lot more $$$ than Elliot.

I'd take him over Fat Trbo though in a heartbeat. Tohu Harris is 32 and missed the season through injury so hard to say there.

aqua_duck

Coach
I can’t believe that in the current cost of living crisis, someone would allow Elliott to live rent free in their head for so long.
The guy is obsessed with Adam Elliott and Phil Gardner like I’m talking stalker obsession.
I’m sure in his head if Gardner retires and Elliott leaves tomorrow we’ll win the premiership next year

HarVeeGee

Juniors

Cam Murray
Pat Carrigan
Cameron McInnis
Isaah Yeo
Jake Trbojevic
Trent Loiero
Victor Radley
Ruben Cotter
Jamain Hopgood
Tahu Harris

Judging players by fantasy points is such casual shit & it’s an incomplete discussion if you don’t include reported salaries.

Factoring in how much these guys are paid, age, etc:

I’d bite your hand off for Yeo or Carrigan.

I would swap him for Radley or McInnes.

I wouldn’t for Tohu, Murray or Cotter, but this is about the money they’re on in all three cases, not saying Elliott is better.

I don’t think Loiero would be any good outside Melbourne, I think Hopgood is a stat padder who plays soft, and Jake Turbo’s contract is as big of an albatross for Manly as Dan Saifiti’s was for us.

Ask Raiders fans who they think is better out of Smithies and Elliott and Plath I think is a pretty good bench forward, he shouldn’t be a starter.

So from my perspective, no, there’s no screaming hurry to chase anything better, and Elliott’s deal is pretty fair value. Hopefully Cody Hopwood comes along like many of us think he will and if he does, that’s when you move on from Elliott - when you have someone better ready to take over.

Yosh

Coach
Sure there are great options out there but who of them would come for 500k a year? We need to upgrade our spine first and foremost. I'm happy for Elliot to stay. Not saying he is the best player in the world but he is good enough.