What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NRL club Sydney Roosters plan to launch bid to lure Sonny Bill Williams back to rugby league

552377-sonny-bill-williams.jpg

Superstar ... Sydney Roosters considering huge bid for Sonny Bill. Source: Adrian Dennis / News Limited

Nate Myles's likely departure from Sydney Roosters, and the impending retirement of prop Jason Ryles, has cleared the way for last year's grand finalists to launch a stunning bid to lure Sonny Bill Williams back to the NRL, possibly next year but more likely in 2013.

NRL on Fox this week has a rep footy special.

We'll be joined live from camp by Kangaroos hooker Cam Smith and have a one-on-one chat with Kiwis skipper Benji Marshall.

Country coach Laurie Daley will join us live from Albury and we’ll have the latest from the City camp too.

Special guest panelist Brett Kimmorley will be on board and Shane Shackleton from Parramatta has a shot at the Props Pentathlon.

It's all on NRL on Fox this Wednesday from 7.30pm (EST) on Fox Sports 2HD and Fox Sports 2.

It is believed Sydney Roosters have made discreet inquiries with Williams over the prospects of a rugby league comeback - three years after he walked out on Canterbury-Bankstown mid-season to play rugby union in France.
Under the terms of his eventual release from the Bulldogs, Williams, whose contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union expires at the end of this year's World Cup, was banned from playing for another club in the NRL before 2013.
Bulldogs officials made it clear that the only way they would relent on that agreement was if they were paid a release fee.
Start of sidebar.

Given that agreement, and the fact no NRL club including the Roosters is likely to have the money to compete with rugby union until the game's broadcasting deal is renegotiated for the 2013 season, a more realistic scenario would see the 25-year-old head to France for one final pay-day before returning to the NRL.
The Roosters shape as serious contenders should Williams decide his future lies in rugby league, although they are likely to face strong competition from Parramatta, where New Zealand national coach Steve Kearney is in charge.

By 2013, the Roosters and Eels could be in prime position to make Williams one of the highest-paid players in the history of the NRL. The first piece of the jigsaw will be the television deal, which could see the game's salary cap rise as high as $6 million.
Should the NRL and its clubs receive the windfall many are predicting, the Roosters could afford to pay Williams upwards of $1million a season with the prospect of even more should third parties weigh in.
The second piece of the puzzle is Myles. The Queensland forward has already held talks with the Gold Coast Titans over his future and it is understood he is also in the sights of Newcastle Knights and Parramatta.
Although he has a contract for next season at the Roosters, it is understood he has been negotiating with rival clubs on the basis that he can join them in 2012 .
The Titans' ability to sign Myles next year will be contingent on whether Anthony Laffranchi decides to take up a new deal or accept a mega-offer from English club St Helens.

Ryles is also weighing up whether to return next season. Although he has an option in his contract, there has been speculation he could retire at the end of this year.
The final wild-card is five-eighth Todd Carney. Carney has a contract for the next two seasons but is currently in the hands of medical experts.
The Roosters have also been linked to Williams' former New Zealand teammate Adam Blair, but it is understood they are not realistic contenders for the Melbourne forward.
Instead, Parramatta and Wests Tigers are leading the race for Blair, although the Tigers could find it hard to make room for him.
Before leaving the NRL, Williams was regarded by many as the best player in rugby league. He is quickly taking on similar stature in rugby union, having starred for the Crusaders in the Super Rugby competition.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-to-rugby-league/story-e6frf3ou-1226049551723

For gods sake lol we are the new circus, move over Souffs!

Noname36

First Grade
I don't think Bennett would go for the idea of SBW personally. If it looks as if we may lose Taia, I'd take Myles in a heartbeat. He's been the only good thing about that Rooster's team all year.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I will take kade for 2012 and dugan in 2013 as he is only contracted till next season. Dugan is the talent of his generation. He will be nsw fullback and is arguably better than boyd when fit. Can't call it but Dugan has a bit more steel in his game. Darius is starting to wear thin with his ongoing delays in announcing his plans.
Dugan's the better athlete, Boyd's the better player IMO.

G.I.

Juniors
Any evidence on Nate Myles or just media linking us to him like they have for every other 324 players in the NRL.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Any evidence on Nate Myles or just media linking us to him like they have for every other 324 players in the NRL.
Nah, we're definitely after him it looks like. Myles and his manager were at a meeting with Ken Edwards in Newcastle.

perverse

Referee
chasing Myles must create a bit of doubt about Snowden, surely. it's a bit 1+1=3... but surely we can't afford Snowy, Myles and Boyd.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
chasing Myles must create a bit of doubt about Snowden, surely. it's a bit 1+1=3... but surely we can't afford Snowy, Myles and Boyd.
Yeah, would much rather Snowden, but would be happy either way. If Boyd goes to GC though, getting Snowden and Myles would do wonders to our forward pack.

Whats Doing

Bench
I don't believe Myles is playing anywhere near to what he has displayed over the last couple of years.

His performance against the Titans was ordinary to the say the least.

Snowden is a longer term investment and would be a better priority

perverse

Referee
when talking Myles you need to consider all the costs involved in getting him here, too. it'll be pretty expensive to widen every door in the stadium just so he can manouvre that ridiculous head through them.

another question is, why is Smithy offloading him? i was sure he was contracted until 2012.

i'm also not a fan of a guy that shits in a hotel corridor. there's just an unsaid awkwardness about that misdemeanor.

perverse

Referee
Snowy does shit on him from a great height for a number of reasons. pun unfortunately intended. might go alright as a consolation prize i suppose... but again i direct you to the poop. do we want a rogue anus on the team?

Jono078

Referee
:lol: Perverse

I rate Myles, wouldn't be disappointed if we got him. Although his club form has never been that of his Qld form.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Snowy does shit on him from a great height for a number of reasons. pun unfortunately intended. might go alright as a consolation prize i suppose... but again i direct you to the poop. do we want a rogue anus on the team?

We just need to make sure there are sufficient port-a-loos across the full length of the side lines and behind the dead ball lines. Wouldn't be pleasant for those who paid for front row seating though.

Jono078

Referee
Definitely. I don't think anyone sees it any differently.

My order of preference if we could sign the blokes named in this thread would be

1 Sonny Bill Williams
2 Kade Snowden
3 Darius Boyd
4 William Hopoate
5 Nate Myles
6 Mick Ennis
7 Jon Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts