What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
I would have thought all it does tell you that we had, across a season, less possession than our opponents. It's actually a negative stat and demonstrates how poor we are as a team at controlling possession.

So the way Pou Bear has portrayed the stats, showing that our players are high up on tackles per minutes, is not a statistic to demonstrate that your team will be successful and it was useless for Pou Bear's argument...whatever the purpose of that was.
Yes, whilst it does tell us that we had less possession as a team, it also shows which individuals in the team are busiest, so a negative stat as a team performance indicator sure, but a positive stat for looking at individual performance, which I think was Pau's argument (he was talking about Paulo, not the Raiders overall).

Chipmunk

Coach
"I don't know what your argument is, but it's wrong!!!"

In the words of one of our esteemed posters - SMMFINGH

It's not wrong, it's just pointless to portray the stats in a positive manner as Pou Bear was doing...Pou Bear's purpose was to show that tackles per minutes was a positive thing, but it's a stat that doesn't demonstrate that your team will have any kind of success as a result of the stat.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yes, whilst it does tell us that we had less possession as a team, it also shows which individuals in the team are busiest, so a negative stat as a team performance indicator sure, but a positive stat for looking at individual performance, which I think was Pau's argument (he was talking about Paulo, not the Raiders overall).

But the statistics of the individuals being the busiest in the team, appears to have no bearing on whether a team wins or not. Surely a team is considerably better off if all their middle players are roughly making the same amount of tackles per minutes. In fact it shows that the Storms middle players each all make between 0.5 and 0.6 tackles per minute. None fall outside this range on the list.

There is only four other players on that list ahead of Junior Paulo from the 2016 Raiders team and two of those (Fensom and Vaughan) didn't play a lot of NRL (if any) once Junior arrived. Doesn't that tell us that Junior Paulo was the third busiest defensive middle player in the Raiders team???

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Matt Elliot told a story during the ABC coverage on the weekend about how Ruben Wiki only made about 14 tackles a game because no bastard would run at him.

I think that fits in here?
Yeah stats can be deceiving. Same goes for those brave backrowers to get their stats up by running at halfbacks all day.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Of course I know as much as the next merkin about player salaries, but it was reported at the time that Canberra signed him that it was stupid money. I'm sure Parra might have come close to offering 500 if that's all it would have taken. Don't forget, he was gone before the cap dramas came to light.

Then again, maybe BA wasn't too fussed about letting him go.

Latest posts