What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bolgeel

Juniors
Fair enough we argue all day about what style we are playing.

But regarding BA how many coaches have had to deal with what he did with in 2016? Because of how we went in 2017 we tend to forget 2016 was a total f**k up, which had nothing to do with BA. The fact BA even got us to finals in 2017 let alone the top 4 was a f**ken miracle!! Based on that he at least deserves in my opinion to see out his contract - also it’s not like there are any standout candidates or BA is doing a “Hasler” with our squad (we have plenty of promising juniors and cap space ). He could have quit in 2016 and totally stuff up the club!!

I reckon we all have no idea how much the 2016 disaster has affected our cap management and ability to recruit for 2017/18 along with the resources available to BA!

Could not have said it better myself, this is exactly why he deserves to be here next year, and we should realistically have won 4 of our last 5 so it’s not like we are not ultra competitive lately

Gronk

Staff member
If he has 18 children from the same woman, he should be charged with some level of spousal abuse or domestic violence.

Maybe 18 is overs. :p She's had another 1 or 2 since this photo I think.

hannant-171116.jpg

TheRam

Coach
You are doing the opposite of what you accuse me of. Excusing Cleary but marking BA hard.

You can’t have it both ways.

I only excuse Cleary because in my opinion he is a better coach then BA. His teams in my opinion always play at their strengths no matter what the roster win or lose. The way BA seems to coach in my opinion hasn't changed in the 5 years he has been here.

And if you look at their respective resumes, Cleary has the better record with 3 different clubs now starting from the bottom. BA started at the bottom and barely got air born last year and now finds himself at the lowest of bottoms, at the anchor of the ladder again. Hard to see how people can compare the 2 on pure results.

P.S. See you at the Bones next week, Greedy. Hope you've been practising the new secret "hand" shake we decided on. ;)

oldmancraigy

Coach
And if you look at their respective resumes, Cleary has the better record with 3 different clubs now starting from the bottom. .

Classic Rammy.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good whinge right?

In 2014 Arthur takes over a team that had won just 17 games in 3 years, and was reigning back to back wooden spooners. (record in the 3 years prior to his taking over = 23% wins)

2014 - present
118 games coached
55 wins 63 losses
47% record.

If you think there are no residual effects from a team that ran at the foot of the ladder 3 years straight AND was cheating the cap to do so, then you are certifiable!!

Ivan Cleary takes over the Warriors (31 wins the prior 3 years, or 43% - includes a finals appearance and no cap cheating). Most wins in a season = 14.
Cleary is then scalped by the Panthers (35 wins the prior 3 years, or 49% - includes a 2nd place on the leaderboard). With a stacked roster, Cleary makes the finals once (ONCE) in four years. One season in four with more wins than losses (Hook takes over and the team is a winning team each of the last 3 seasons). Sacked.
Cleary heads to the Tigers to take over a team that is something of a mess (26 wins the last 3 years - note that is 50% MORE wins than the Eels that Arthur took over, and the Tigers garnered 0 wooden spoons and were not plagued by salary cap cheating in that time). They are 10-10, and no sure things of a winning season.

Overall for Cleary, 2006-present
303 matches
142 wins 158 losses 3 draws
47% record

In NONE of the clubs that Cleary coached did they start as back to back wooden spooners prior to his taking over.
In NONE of the clubs that Cleary coached had the team been embroiled in a horrible salary cap scandal that he had to deal with.
Yet Cleary's highest single season win total is 15.
Arthur has had a 16 win season already in just 5 years of coaching.

I hate where we are at this year, but to suggest a bludger like Ivan Cleary is the answer is a tad myopic isn't it??

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I only excuse Cleary because in my opinion he is a better coach then BA. His teams in my opinion always play at their strengths no matter what the roster win or lose. The way BA seems to coach in my opinion hasn't changed in the 5 years he has been here.

And if you look at their respective resumes, Cleary has the better record with 3 different clubs now starting from the bottom. BA started at the bottom and barely got air born last year and now finds himself at the lowest of bottoms, at the anchor of the ladder again. Hard to see how people can compare the 2 on pure results.

P.S. See you at the Bones next week, Greedy. Hope you've been practising the new secret "hand" shake we decided on. ;)
What’s it like having an extra arse, Mr “I’ve Just Been Torn a New Arse by OMC”?

Gronk

Staff member
I meant the overall performances over the whole year. We weren't exactly convincing in many games over the entire season. But he should of improved on that, instead he didn't.

Bullshit. Flips a busted up team in salary cap shitsville into the semis the next year and you are whining that they didn't improve much in 2017 ?

84 Baby

Referee
How do you "push" it down the drain GreedyGuts? Don't you just wash it down the drain? I know we have taught you many new tricks in Bones on Bones, but I don't remember that one. Maybe now you can teach me and Hindy a thing or two?

From the pupil to the master.

Clarification: GreedyGuts is the new nickname both Hindy and I gave Gutful after his stellar but, unsurprising appetite during our long session at the club. At the end of them he'd always leave with a gutful though.
I've always assumed that Gary is his real name and Gutful is an alliterative nom de plume.
And that he is very lucky his parents didn't call him Barry

TheRam

Coach
Classic Rammy.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good whinge right?

In 2014 Arthur takes over a team that had won just 17 games in 3 years, and was reigning back to back wooden spooners. (record in the 3 years prior to his taking over = 23% wins)

2014 - present
118 games coached
55 wins 63 losses
47% record.

If you think there are no residual effects from a team that ran at the foot of the ladder 3 years straight AND was cheating the cap to do so, then you are certifiable!!

Ivan Cleary takes over the Warriors (31 wins the prior 3 years, or 43% - includes a finals appearance and no cap cheating). Most wins in a season = 14.
Cleary is then scalped by the Panthers (35 wins the prior 3 years, or 49% - includes a 2nd place on the leaderboard). With a stacked roster, Cleary makes the finals once (ONCE) in four years. One season in four with more wins than losses (Hook takes over and the team is a winning team each of the last 3 seasons). Sacked.
Cleary heads to the Tigers to take over a team that is something of a mess (26 wins the last 3 years - note that is 50% MORE wins than the Eels that Arthur took over, and the Tigers garnered 0 wooden spoons and were not plagued by salary cap cheating in that time). They are 10-10, and no sure things of a winning season.

Overall for Cleary, 2006-present
303 matches
142 wins 158 losses 3 draws
47% record

In NONE of the clubs that Cleary coached did they start as back to back wooden spooners prior to his taking over.
In NONE of the clubs that Cleary coached had the team been embroiled in a horrible salary cap scandal that he had to deal with.
Yet Cleary's highest single season win total is 15.
Arthur has had a 16 win season already in just 5 years of coaching.

I hate where we are at this year, but to suggest a bludger like Ivan Cleary is the answer is a tad myopic isn't it??

The facts are that he has had to start from scratch at 3 different clubs all with major hurdles to over come, especially a team like the Warrior, who would break even Bellamy's resolve and turned them around in very quick order and even got them to a GF.

We are all entitled to our opinions so lets just agree to disagree. Besides even though I don't rate BA at this stage much, I had started out as a massive fan. It's just that I haven't noticed him evolving with the squad. He seems stuck at one style of play, no matter how ineffective it has been. Our defense has also lost its shape and his recruitment has left me ropeable at times.

In saying all of that, I don't want him gone necessarily at this stage, since there is no obvious replacement and he only has one more year to run anyway. But if a Bennett or Fittler were to be brought in I would not have any objections. Other then those two, I can't see the point in removing a guy that bleeds Blue and Gold. Like I said, I've always liked BA, he has just slowly lost me over the years.

Latest posts