What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
COREY Payne will today announce that he is quitting as Panthers chief executive – but make no mistake, he was ‘asked’ to leave.

Payne was only appointed in April but the Penrith board put its foot down after Payne upset officials and players with his performance since taking the reins.

Not even Phil Gould’s pleas could save the former Bulldogs, Tigers and Dragons forward as the board put its foot down.

“He was all show and no go,” one Panthers official explained to me.

“He came in and tried to tell us how to run the place with no experience in managing a football club – it did not go down well.”

Among other things, Payne wanted to fly business class in an economy class era, gave bizarre speeches to players and alienated figures within the club with his strange media release when the Panthers failed to get a World Cup game.

The club will begin its search for a replacement immediately.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/moles-monday-scoops-11-9/

Gronk

Staff member
^^ from same link above

Luke Walsh is hunting an NRL return – after being nudged out of St Helens.

Saints will this week tie up a move for Wigan No.7 Matty Smith, which will force out-of-contract Walsh, 29, to look elsewhere.

The former Panthers half has been in good form and while he is thought to be favouring a return home, is likely to attract interest from Super League sides as well.

Noise

Coach
COREY Payne will today announce that he is quitting as Panthers chief executive – but make no mistake, he was ‘asked’ to leave.

Payne was only appointed in April but the Penrith board put its foot down after Payne upset officials and players with his performance since taking the reins.

Not even Phil Gould’s pleas could save the former Bulldogs, Tigers and Dragons forward as the board put its foot down.

“He came in and tried to tell us how to run the place with no experience in managing a football club – it did not go down well.”

Among other things, Payne wanted to fly business class in an economy class era, gave bizarre speeches to players and alienated figures within the club with his strange media release when the Panthers failed to get a World Cup game.

A few years ago Corey came to the school that I worked at the time and gave a bizaare speech at a school assembly. He spoke for 10-15 minutes on his university degrees and was not engaging at all. His point was to encourage kids to go to university (i think??) but it came across as a bloke talking himself up in a job interview.

84 Baby

Referee

Dear Gus,

I hereby endorse the Panthers hiring Scoot Seaward.

Signed

Steve Sh.. I mean Tood Greenberg

The Colonel

Immortal
Can't see Souths letting Reynolds go a year early when there is no one on the market to replace him. We can help out and give them Kelly and Cornish I suppose.

There have been rumours of Burgess and Reynolds having not been the best of friends of and on for a while.

I am with you though, cannot see it happening unless they are chasing a halfback from England maybe or someone on contract.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Reynolds has rumoured to have wanted out a few times now. Didn't he want to leave last year to go to the Titans ? Wonder if he doesn't get on with the coach?

Anyhow while I doubt Souths will let him go but then they could use it as an opportunity to refresh their squad.

Chipmunk

Coach
Reynolds has rumoured to have wanted out a few times now. Didn't he want to leave last year to go to the Titans ? Wonder if he doesn't get on with the coach?

Anyhow while I doubt Souths will let him go but then they could use it as an opportunity to refresh their squad.

You'd think to let Reynolds go they would have to have someone lined up first.

Happy MEel

First Grade

Perhaps Keary wasn't the only half on the receiving end of a Russell Crowe spray.

The Colonel

Immortal
Talk of Farah going to Souths which opens the door for Cameron McInnes. I actually don't mind him. Tough young kid and a decent passing game. Has struggled with consistency this year but then that's been the whole story for Souths.

Gazzamatta

Coach

Pass. I reckon he would be way overpriced for what he provides. Always injured and a poor runner of the footy. Arthurs team play a tough brand of footy. Reynolds wouldnt survive.
Once bitten twice shy where Souths halfback rejects are concerned.
I reckon we can find just as good for half his price.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pass. I reckon he would be way overpriced for what he provides. Always injured and a poor runner of the footy. Arthurs team play a tough brand of footy. Reynolds wouldnt survive.
Once bitten twice shy where Souths halfback rejects are concerned.
I reckon we can find just as good for half his price.
I think Reynolds is a solid first grader who would fit perfectly in our team. I agree that his brief NRL career with a premiership and Origin appearances means he is overrated. But does that mean he is overpaid? Clubs have a better idea of a player's value than do the fans.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
I think Reynolds is a solid first grader who would fit perfectly in our team. But I agree that his brief NRL career with a premiership and Origin appearances means he is overrated. But does that mean he is overpaid? Clubs have a better idea of a player's value than do the fans.

Undoubtedly Poo but I also reckon Jennings will be overpriced beyond 2016 as well as Hayne would have been and Foran and Watmough definitely were. I have faith in BAs judgement re value for money but I think its fair to say BA is still learning as well.