What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
The only thing stopping them is that they'd miss the most important stages of development 14-20 so they'd be starting off at basically nothing when it comes to defence. There's also much more to a halves' game than just kicking, I can only think of one half who is in the competition basically for his kicking and that's Adam Reynolds but boy is he good at it.

Re Reynolds OA.
Considering all the variables, Reynolds V Soward.
Both supreme kicking games.
Reynolds is younger and probably a slightly better goal kicker.
Soward am improved defender.
Soward probably half the price of Reynolds
Soward slightly more resilient.
Interesting comparison if our team is primarily chasing a kicking halfback.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Re Reynolds OA.
Who has the better tatts?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Re Reynolds OA.

Soward has a terrible defeatist/sooky attitude. Don't need that at the club.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
They wouldn't necessarily be in soccer still as the sports require different things. Perhaps they just didn't fit any particular niche, or weren't quite good enough. By build I mean suitable for league, and by attitude I mean not timid, amongst other things.
Lingard has already pointed out one who did it successfully, and that's without the help of an academy, so clearly it's possible.

Most kids stay in their chosen sport until they're about 18, by then they'll know of they're going to be a professional or not. Even at 14-17 if they're good enough they'll already be in a system.

Yeah, a player from the Newtown Bluebags who haven't been in the comp since the 80's, when the game was unprofessional. As we've seen with many things in league just because it worked back then doesn't mean it will work now.

Anyway halves in our development squads work on their kicking game and from what I've seen we don't need to pick up a football reject just because they're good at kicking a round ball off the ground.

eels_fan

First Grade
DT reporting Foz looking for a 1 year deal in 2017 with the Warriors.

If that's true, we need to be chasing Lolohea hard as he won't get a look in over there in the spine at all

phantom eel

First Grade
From a welfare basis, getting Foran over to NZ might be a good move for the guy... gets him away from Hayson, his brother, a media fishbowl etc.

And if that means we stand an increased chance of nabbing a basic or above NRL standard halfback from there to partner Norman (without paying elite money) we should be talking to the NRL to make sure they help make it happen...

#powerhouse

Ring Gids

Juniors
DT reporting Foz looking for a 1 year deal in 2017 with the Warriors.

If that's true, we need to be chasing Lolohea hard as he won't get a look in over there in the spine at all

Should be easy to fit him under the cap in nz. Johnson, Sheck, no big salaries there.

Noise

Coach
Whether Foran goes to the Warriors, Bulldogs, TAB or haysons brothel won't impact on our ability to get a half.

Most kids stay in their chosen sport until they're about 18, by then they'll know of they're going to be a professional or not. Even at 14-17 if they're good enough they'll already be in a system.

Yeah, a player from the Newtown Bluebags who haven't been in the comp since the 80's, when the game was unprofessional. As we've seen with many things in league just because it worked back then doesn't mean it will work now.

Anyway halves in our development squads work on their kicking game and from what I've seen we don't need to pick up a football reject just because they're good at kicking a round ball off the ground.
Kicking a ball is pretty much kicking a ball. The reason it hasn't happened often is there hasn't been a pathway. What I was really getting at is would it be allowed and how much could it save on the cap.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Kicking a ball is pretty much kicking a ball. The reason it hasn't happened often is there hasn't been a pathway. What I was really getting at is would it be allowed and how much could it save on the cap.

Not really. In football you mainly use the inside of your foot and the only time that happens in League is goal-kicking. When you use the top of the foot in football is when you're going for pure power and this is the main part of the foot you use when kicking a ball in League.

Sure the swinging of your leg is similar but all of the other mechanics of kicking a football and a league ball are very different.

And I'd say another reason this doesn't happen (the setting up of poaching football players) purely for their kicking is that there's really only 3 maybe 4 kickers in your development squads and given that those 3-4 are already league players they have better fundamentals in the game compared to football players.

Also is there anything other than anecdotal evidence that football players can kick a league ball better than league players?

Not really. In football you mainly use the inside of your foot and the only time that happens in League is goal-kicking. When you use the top of the foot in football is when you're going for pure power and this is the main part of the foot you use when kicking a ball in League.

Sure the swinging of your leg is similar but all of the other mechanics of kicking a football and a league ball are very different.

And I'd say another reason this doesn't happen (the setting up of poaching football players) purely for their kicking is that there's really only 3 maybe 4 kickers in your development squads and given that those 3-4 are already league players they have better fundamentals in the game compared to football players.

Also is there anything other than anecdotal evidence that football players can kick a league ball better than league players?
Soccer players have had intensive, repetitive training at making an object they kick go where they want. And they've been chosen because they're good at it. It's foot-eye coordination as much as it is about technique.

The lack of spots available in a development squad supports my argument. It hasn't been done because it wasn't viable before. With an NRL team willing to spend money to support athletes attempting to transition then squad spots are irrelevant.

T.S Quint

Coach
El Masri was a soccer player in his youth.
He kicked the ball alright. From a tee anyway.

Rest of his game was pretty shithouse though.

ash411

Bench
Soccer players have had intensive, repetitive training at making an object they kick go where they want. And they've been chosen because they're good at it. It's foot-eye coordination as much as it is about technique.

The lack of spots available in a development squad supports my argument. It hasn't been done because it wasn't viable before. With an NRL team willing to spend money to support athletes attempting to transition then squad spots are irrelevant.
but remember, they also have to hit and more importantly, get hit. I don't care how good a kicker you are, if you can't take a tackle or make a tackle without falling to the ground clutching your shin you're pretty useless in League.

but remember, they also have to hit and more importantly, get hit. I don't care how good a kicker you are, if you can't take a tackle or make a tackle without falling to the ground clutching your shin you're pretty useless in League.
It's true. You'd have to up the shinguard budget. But I think that mostly gets trained into them.

Latest posts